Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-28 22:43:29

MartinS
Website

Block text in Publisher Search overruled - how?

Searching the community forum for instances of "Search" is not easy and I haven't found what I was looking for, so here goes. Sorry for this question at a time the forum is extra busy with the updates.

I have Publisher search installed and running and it works. Today I installed updates TTG-BE-203, Gallery 614a and Publisher 220b. My problem has existed for a few days and has not altered with these updates, but that does not surprise me as I am sure I have made some mistake in a template or wherever a few days ago, because it has worked before.

I added some text to the block of a gallery template, explaining how to search and asking people to wait 20 seconds etc. This template I exported to ttg-be/templates/gallery/Publisher-search-template. I also selected this template in the ttg-be admin. When the search is executed and also when results come in, the block is empty and only the "Search" button, or the results, are there. But a right-click to see the page source shows the template being used correctly on martinsharrott.com/search. The text I wrote is there when I view the template in ttg-be in a text editor. What have I done wrong somewhere in Publisher to overrule this block text and replace it by nothing? I allow Publisher to replace template page copy generally but I am not aware that I can set this anywhere for the search function.

Any hint in the right direction will be appreciated.

#2 2015-01-28 23:03:22

rod barbee
Website

Re: Block text in Publisher Search overruled - how?

try enabling the sidebar in your template gallery and place your instructional text there.
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … e4_sidebar

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-01-29 00:01:02

MartinS
Website

Whoops! I have tried this now with all possible variations.

1. Copy and paste the Page Copy under Content/Description in the gallery template into the sidebar. Two columns, right, 8/12. The checkbox "Display on page" I left enabled as before. Result: block and sidebar show as desired in the page preview in LR.

2. Delete the text from the Page Copy and leave the sidebar copy in place. Result: both block and sidebar disappear, leaving a blank space under the navigation bar and breadcrumbs in the page preview. The sidebar text does, however, show up online when the template has been uploaded; only the LR preview is incorrect.

3. By way of test, insert sample text "xx" back into Page Copy. Display in page preview is back as expected with sidebar copy and "xx" above the grid.

4. On clicking the "Search" button, the sidebar comes up left and the search field right, as desired. However, when the results come in, half of the the sidebar content spills out left of the mantle, far to the left of the navigation bar etc and in fact, on one of my pc's, half off-screen. The sidebar content is below left of the breadcrumb search results and left above the grid. All my page-widths and so on are still at the default 1140px. The sample "xx" text has again disappeared entirely and must have been overruled by Publisher somehow, being replaced by a blank page copy, but how, I wonder? I use Pages and Stage but can't think of a link between albums or albums sets (and their associated "replace page copy" permissions) and my search template which I only use for the search button.

So I fear I am not there yet. The thing is that search used to work for me with my info text in the normal block and not in a sidebar. That is the mystery.

#4 2015-01-29 01:46:06

rod barbee
Website

Looks like something Matt will have to look at.
I've got some text in the sidebar to the right. When I search and the results come back I was getting the list of albums followed below that by the sidebar copy and below that the grid of thumbnails.

I can see what's going on. The #search div isn't floated. That's why the sidebar is falling beneath it. When I add float: left; to the #search div on my site, the sidebar text comes up right next to it. But I want it on the right hand side

In the inspector, if I add the class push_8 I can push the sidebar to the right hand side of the page.
So ideally I'd just add this class to the #secondary-content div. And I could with jQuery but I don't want to right now. So I'm trying to add the css rules that are in the push_8 class but I'm having trouble with getting the selector specificity correct. (or having a brain lapse as to an easier way to add the push_8 class)

what I can do is float the #secondary-content div to the right, so at least there is separation between the search album results and the sidebar content. So this is what I've added to my custom css:

#search {
    float: left;
}
#secondary-content {    
    float: right;
}

not ideal, but it serves the purpose at the moment. You can see it here: www.barbeephoto.com/search/
search on washington, oregon, whatever...

Until Matt and Ben can come up with an alternative, you can also put html in the Search Title field in Publisher Admin

See this thread: http://community.theturninggate.net/post/25333/#p25333

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2015-01-29 04:24:17

MartinS
Website

Thanks for this; I had forgotten about the search title field. Unfortunately I am not knowledgeable enough to play with css at the moment but one day....

In the meanwhile I think I must try disabling the "Share CE4 resources" box in the gallery template. I enabled that a few days ago and perhaps that is at the root of the problem. I can already begin to see some change for the better in styling with it disabled (for now, until I know how to use it; and yes, I know Matt did warn it was only for advanced users...).

I am very impressed with your own search page!

#6 2015-01-29 06:16:36

Ben

Search replaces the block text section with the search form or album results, so there's no way of configuring the template to include copy there (without editing the template manually).  That said, I am working on adding a Publisher setting to provide page copy to be inserted above the search field.  This should be in the next significant update, I hope to get out in February.

#7 2015-01-29 20:19:59

MartinS
Website

That's an informative answer and also good news about a future update, Ben. As a temporary and quite acceptable solution I have added some simple style coding to the contents of the various search fields and am happy with the presentation both before a user carries out a search and when the results come in.

Board footer