Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-27 10:58:01

markh
Website

Publisher stripping keywords?

Hi, there are a lot of threads here on search and keywords and I think I've read most of them this evening. But when I publish an album of photos that I know have many keywords associated with the photos, subsequent searches within the published galleries won't find them. I understand that LR must have the keywords set as exportable, and they are. When I examine the published photos with , say Bridge or Photo Mechanic the keywords that were there in LR are gone from the published versions. Does anyone know of some esoteric setting in LR that I might have missed that is killing keyword exporting? Or is publisher really the culprit? If I just export the photos in question to my desktop as jpegs the keywords are there.
Regards Mark

#2 2015-01-27 12:00:50

rod barbee
Website

Re: Publisher stripping keywords?

have you looked into Lightroom's keyword hierarchy?

There is a setting in Publisher set up that will write keywords as Lightroom Hierarchy.
I don't know what difference it will make for you. If you hover over the option, a tool tip will come up.

Lots on the web about it.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-01-27 19:50:44

markh
Website

The plot thickens. I publish all metadata and have done the same album with and without "write keywords as lightroom hierarchy" and "remove location information" checked. Either the keywords are being stripped or publisher is broken. Search function in the website will not find photos that are supposedly being published with all metadata. Worse, other metadata is not being published including contact information and headline (which I use to hold my pricing scheme). This was working perfectly in previous publisher and was what prompted me to become much more diligent in my use of keywords in all photos. As I said before, when I export an album of photos to my desktop as jpgs the metadata, including keywords, is there. When I publish that same album to my website the metadata is gone. The only thing I haven't tried is publishing without the "all metadata" setting.
Mark

#4 2015-01-27 20:47:59

Ben

Hi Mark, Publisher does not use the embedded metadata found within published photos.  It maintains its own database of metadata as pushed in text fields during publishing.  Can you give some examples of galleries and keywords that you are expecting to be able to search on but aren't getting the expected results?

I have tested the latest version of Publisher, set to export all metadata.  This is keyword data I could find in a Published image.  This includes three representations of the four keywords that had been assigned to that photo:

Iptc.Application2.Keywords                   String      5  "fish
Iptc.Application2.Keywords                   String     10  bee flower
Iptc.Application2.Keywords                   String      4  moon
Iptc.Application2.Keywords                   String      5  yarra
Xmp.dc.subject                               XmpBag      4  "fish, bee flower, moon, yarra
Xmp.lr.hierarchicalSubject                   XmpBag      4  "fish, bee flower, moon, yarra

The keyword output was the same for both "All Metadata" and "All Except Camera & Camera Raw Info".  Unchecking "Wirte Keywords as Lightroom Hierarchy" omits the Xmp.lr.hierarchicalSubject entry.

Something to consider:  Publisher will only re-upload images if the 'Push metadata without updating existing photos' option is *not* checked.  If you're trying to update the photos with embedded metadata while leaving that option checked, you will be disappointed.

#5 2015-01-27 21:04:50

markh
Website

Hi Ben, As a test I completely deleted and republished an album. There are many keywords in this album that aren't being found. Site is http://www.photophart.com. A an album called 10000 Square Meters is the one just republished in its entirety. A search for the word "fungi" should return several images. It doesn't. I was unaware that keywords were being written to a proprietary database which, of course, explains why I can't see them. What about the checkbox for "write keywords as LR heirarchy"? Should that be checked or not?
Regards Mark

#6 2015-01-27 21:39:53

Ben

Hi Mark, I'm not sure if proprietary is the right word.  To me that implies obfuscation and lock-in.  The databases use standard SQL and are readable without any TTG code.  The data is always yours and in a format that with some technical skill can be taken and used however you like.

Thanks for the link.  Looking further into this, there was a bug with searching on metadata.  Your keywords are saved in the backend but search wasn't retrieving the results. 

I've applied a silent update to the Publisher files that fixes this.  To install these:

1. Download Publisher 2.2.0b
2. Replace the ttg-be/publisher/application directory
3. Replace the CE4-Publisher.lrplugin, and restart Lightroom

Your search should then start working, without any need to republish the 10000 Square Meters album.  At most you may need to search for another term and then search for fungi again, as the search retains the result of the last searched terms.

Keywords are saved in the back-end irrespective of the metadata settings.  That setting only affects the metadata stored within image files.

#7 2015-01-27 22:20:06

markh
Website

Ben, many thanks. That clears up some items that were mysterious for me. SQL databases are not completely foreign to me: in a former life I had intimate dealings with creating Microsoft Access databases and Access is just a really fancy SQL interpreter. I'm grabbing the DL now and will give it a whirl.
Thanks again
Mark

#8 2015-01-27 22:31:38

Ben

No problem.  I hope that solves the problem for you.  Our focus lately has been on the release of CRG.  Publisher had had some quite substantial updates in that period of development, and this search issue had crept through.

The last time I used Access was back in 1997.  I remember the date functions were inconsistent in their ordering of the month and day-of-month.  One function followed the Access settings, while another followed the settings of the PC the application was run on.. that made for some challenges deploying code on a variety of machines.

#9 2015-01-27 22:41:26

markh
Website

Ben, 220b fixed the problem nicely. I haven't used Access in many years either, but I remember with fondness and hatred the challenge of database normalization and the strange beauty of relational table design. Anyway, thanks again.
Mark

#10 2015-01-27 22:47:31

Ben

Hi Mark, I'm glad that solved it.  If you're curious, the databases behind TTG can be accessed via the phpLiteAdmin link on the TTG BE dashboard with an additional password of 'admin'.  The tables are normalized smile

#11 2015-01-28 00:50:09

kristenwestlake
Website

ahhh, thank you for the fix Ben!

I was just going to start a topic on this very thing and then came across the problem that Mark was having. Same thing for me but with the fix its working!

Thank you!
Kristen

Board footer