Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-23 12:45:47

mark_barron

Hope Page Galleries control and non gallery text edits easier?

Will Stages solve my troubles?

I've got a site up, iproof.me
Pages, Publisher based. 

I want to add a home page gallery, but the pages version is huge.  Will Stages give me control?

I forced a bunch of text on non gallery pages, Home/Info and want to edit them easier.
It seems like the entire site needs to be rebuilt as the instructions seem to export/export...

Would like to be able to make a simple text change as easy as adding a photo to the real gallery.

Will Stages let me edit single pages without fear of wing out the entire site?

#2 2015-01-23 14:36:59

rod barbee
Website

Re: Hope Page Galleries control and non gallery text edits easier?

Stage will give you the same home page gallery controls as you'd have for the same features in Pages. The main difference is that you can control the home page gallery with Publisher, adding or deleting images easily.

What do you mean by "huge". Which presentation are you using? Full-screen flip gallery? Galleria?
The size of the Galleria slide show is very controllable.

In Pages, if you change just the text of any of the pages, after export you can update the site by just uploading the respective .html file from the fragments/ folder. Or, if you're comfortable editing the .html files directly, you could do that.

You can only replace one page in Pages with a home page gallery, so Stage won't help you make edits to multiple Pages pages. But editing the text for that one page is easily done in Publisher.

Stage is great for creating extra single stand-alone pages though. Any text changes will still require an export and upload. But if it's only text changes, you only really need to upload the index.php file

Changing text to the pages in a Pages installation won't be as easy as just adding an image in Publisher. You'll still have to make the changes,  export and upload. It's the same for any stand-alone (non-Publisher managed) gallery.

I think you're worrying too much about messing up your site though.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-01-23 23:30:18

mark_barron

Yes, I worry.

Can you point me to the controls for the size of the Galleria slide show on a home page.

#4 2015-01-24 00:09:49

mark_barron

I'm wanting more control over the non Gallery webpage content. 

Seems like Pages can release a page's content to a Stage's content, yet keep the navigation consistent.
Is that accurate?

#5 2015-01-24 00:59:50

rod barbee
Website

mark_barron wrote:

Can you point me to the controls for the size of the Galleria slide show on a home page.

In Pages: Appearance control pane > the Gallery
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … es_gallery

in Stage:Appearance > Staging
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … g_galleria

use the aspect ratio control to determine the shape and size of the Galleria staging area. Set the image size in Output Settings

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2015-01-24 01:03:45

rod barbee
Website

mark_barron wrote:

I'm wanting more control over the non Gallery webpage content. 

Seems like Pages can release a page's content to a Stage's content, yet keep the navigation consistent.
Is that accurate?

No. You can assign one of Page's pages to 'the Gallery' and you can control that one gallery with Publisher. You can use any gallery template for this, CE4 Gallery or Stage.

Or you can always create stand-alone Stage pages. But as I said before, to update any text on Stage pages you need to make the changes, export and upload again (at least the index.php file)

navigation can be kept consistent between all pages by using phplugins to manage your navigation.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-01-24 05:02:02

mark_barron

I tried changing the aspect ration but get an error .. got it to work with very small numbers.

Fatal error: Could not extract a stage height from the CSS. Traced height: 0px.

This is a good example where I'm just wanting to change the Home Page layout. Yet your suggest that the entire Pages be exported somewhere, then FTP'd.   My problem is I must be thinking the new export get's created then copied manually to the my local FTP files.  Possibly overwriting folders with content from other things, Gallery...etc.

#8 2015-01-24 05:28:35

rod barbee
Website

If you don't change anything in those other pages, you won't see any changes upon uploading.

what numbers did you try in the aspect ratio? Did you try using the fixed option as well?

If you make changes in Pages you're going to have to export Pages. You can selectively upload parts (like files in the fragments/ folder for text changes).

If you change more than text you'll then need to upload other things. like the index.php and mobile.php files as well as assets from the lib/ folder (which contains styling, scripts, and other needed things that may be altered by any changes you make)

But it's not hard to upload these things or even just upload the entire Pages export. I do it all the time.
And until you get more familiar and more comfortable with using the plugins, I'd actually suggest uploading the entire export.
(you can skip re-uploading the galleries folder. Same with photos/ and thumbnails/, unless you've added any photos.)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer