Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-08 05:38:47

mjenich

Best way to update Pages from CE3 to CE4 on the website

I'm not getting anywhere fast. I decided to take it one step at a time. I'm trying to get a CE4 Pages onto my site which now has CE3 Pages. Do I delete CE3 first then upload CE4. If so how do I delete CE3?

#2 2014-12-08 07:15:35

rod barbee
Website

Re: Best way to update Pages from CE3 to CE4 on the website

This depends. Do you have other CE3 pages up (and that you need to keep up for the time being) that are relying on shared resources with CE3 Pages?
Do you have any other CE3 Pages that are relying on CE3 phplugins?

If no, then you can delete the CE3 Pages files. Don't delete your galleries directory if you need to keep any CE3 Galleries up.
If you're using Publisher or the Cart (including the cart_data folder) , keep all those folders and files online for now. There are migration tools that will move your CE3 Publisher managed Albums and Album sets over to CE4 Publisher and another tool to move all your Cart data from CE3 to CE4

Delete your old pages from your FTP program. Just select and hit the delete button.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-12-08 08:34:21

mjenich

Before I read your post, I was able to get CE4 pages to my site. I saved to my desktop the galleries in CE3, then deleted them from my site. The problem I was having was I was uploading the entire CE4 pages folder when I should have been uploading only the contents of the folder. When I uploaded the contents it worked. I then simply overwrote CE3 with CE4. Would you recommend that I delete everything that I have related to pages CE3 and CE4 Pages, then upload CE4Pages to get a clean copy. Or is there no such thing as a clean copy and therefore it does it not matter. If I should delete everything do I start with the "Fragments" folder and take everything from there down?

I currently have publisher installed but that's not working either. That will be the next topic I'll need help with. But I want to get pages running first. Speaking of Pages, I used a preset of Pages (Gill). I noticed that the Navigation bar had a small number of "sub hot links" that I think were just examples. I tried to delete them when I was working on the template but couldn't but when I uploaded CE4 pages there were gone. is that going to be a problem at some point?

#4 2014-12-08 08:47:56

Matthew
Administrator
Website

I've posted some advice on how to handle upgrades here:
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … ce3_to_ce4

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#5 2014-12-08 09:44:13

mjenich

How important is it to have ce3 publisher on my site in addition to ce4? I have a copy of ce3 publisher unzipped and ready to go. But when I looked at your installation instructions, I realize that I lack some knowledge that, if I had,  would make it easier to understand. I could easily forgo the galleries that I developed in ce3 and just start over with CE4 galleries.

If it's super important to have both,  then a screen shot of how both would look on my site would be helpful.

#6 2014-12-08 10:44:31

rod barbee
Website

the only reason you would need CE3 Publisher on your site is if you were already managing albums with it. If that's the case, then leave it there for now.
If you do have it installed, it should already be in the /publisher/ folder on the server. Since CE4 Publisher installs inside the /ttg-be/ folder, there is no conflict between the two. In fact, that's the way it needs to be if you need to migrate CE3 Publisher managed albums to CE4.

Would you recommend that I delete everything that I have related to pages CE3 and CE4 Pages, then upload CE4Pages to get a clean copy.

again, that depends on your setup. Were you using the Share Resources with CE3 Pages feature? Were you using phplugins to manage navigation?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer