Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-16 05:23:57

doug

The Block above gallery

I am not able to find the setting to place the Block (Content Area) above the galleria image gallery. I know this was easy in CE3. Has this option been removed, or am I just not seeing it? If so, is there a workaround?

#2 2014-09-16 06:20:17

rod barbee
Website

Re: The Block above gallery

look in Color Palette > Content/Description: Location

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-09-16 07:51:05

doug

I'm not seeing Location under Content/Description
Screenshot%202014-09-15%2014.48.26.jpg

Last edited by doug (2014-09-16 07:52:57)

#4 2014-09-16 08:07:09

rod barbee
Website

sorry. I must have been looking at Gallery.

Look in the Appearance control pane and scroll down to the Media Area. There you can set the Media area (grid) priority: Beneath or Above Content
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … media_area

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2014-09-16 08:42:40

doug

HI Rod,

Thank you for the replies and help.

Yes, in the Media Area I find the controls you mention.  These appear to set the location of the Grid (Media Area) relative to the Block (Content).

Using these I can get the Grid to be either above or below the Block. But I still can't find a control to get the Block above the Gallery.

Its really looking like this layout option has been eliminated. Or maybe I'm just missing it. Maybe Matthew can chime in at some point.

#6 2014-09-16 09:56:12

rod barbee
Website

I don't see a control for that either (sorry for misunderstanding what you were getting at).

My guess is that this is by design to make the image gallery the first thing a viewer sees.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2014-09-16 13:53:42

Matthew
Administrator
Website

There's no option to reposition the gallery in CE4 Pages, in part because it's now possible to shove the auto index, the gallery and the contact form all into one page if that's what you really want to do. This makes positioning a little squirrelly. If it's something people want, I can revisit it and see whether there's a good way of dealing with it. Not sure when that will be, though.

In the meantime, you can use CE4 Publisher and CE4 Stage to manage the Home page, and CE4 Stage does allow you to put the-block above the gallery. This is possible largely because Stage doesn't have to content with the possibility of having the auto index and contact form also in the mix.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#8 2014-10-04 07:00:35

doug

Thanks for the reply, Matthew.  I put working on my website on hold for a bit in order to figure out if I could do this--put the block on top. I had subscribed to this thread but must have missed the notification.

I had been wondering of Stage would be able to put the block on top, but didn't want to buy it just to maybe find out, so your reply answered that as well. Is there a manual way to edit the html or css and switch the gallery and block after export? If not I may try the Stage route. I suspect that even if you do add this layout option back in, it won't be soon enough for rev. 1 of my site.

At any rate, yes, I think this should be an option--obviously, I suppose since I asked the question : )

In the simplest case, the Block would just hold the gallery title and it seems to me that having the title at the very top above the images would be a common desire. My desire is to put other text as well, but I see how this would be a much less common desire.

Even though possible, it seems rare that anyone would want to put auto index, gallery and contact all on one page. What a page that would be.

#9 2014-10-04 12:00:47

Matthew
Administrator
Website

doug wrote:

Even though possible, it seems rare that anyone would want to put auto index, gallery and contact all on one page. What a page that would be.

The contact form, yes. But I had a good handful of people from CE3 that wanted to run a Galleria slideshow on top of the Home page, with thumbnail links to galleries beneath. Getting that done was quite a hatchet job. So for CE4, I endeavored to make such layouts possible out-of-the-box.

I've added a "Priority" option in v7.0.10 that will allow the block to be positioned above the gallery. Not sure when I'll make this release, but I'm not sitting on any other to-do items at this point, so I may put it out this week as a minor maintenance update.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer