Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-12 20:04:57

markharris
Website

Back-calculate tax coming ?

Hi,

Are we likely to see back-calculated tax implemented in the near future ?
It's a nice feature, and would make life much easier for those of us who think in terms of final price.
(In Sweden it's not even legal to quote pre-tax prices to consumers).
Seems like it should be a nobrainer to code, but then lots of things seem easy when I don't have to do them....

Mark

#2 2014-09-13 12:05:38

Ben

Re: Back-calculate tax coming ?

Definitely not a no brainer, so don't expect this soon.

#3 2014-09-13 15:59:59

markharris
Website

OK, good to know, so it's worth me building up my price list the other way.

#4 2014-12-07 01:39:42

juergen.huegle

I checked out your demo page before purchasing the CE4 Cart update. I saw the option there to enable back-calulation of taxes and was happy because I thought this would be the solution for my issues for the sales tax display in the German market.
Unfortunately after I setup the cart and got everything running I had to recognize that I can change the setting for back-calculation to "yes" but the info button tells me that this feature is not yet implemented. Unfortunately this was not visible in the demo page as with an guest account you cannot change the setting - it only shows the feature set to no. No hint that it would not be possible to enable it.
Why do you implement a feature that is not working at all? Simply hide the dropdown until you get things working. I'm really upset because I purchased a new version of cart again (already purchased CE2 and CE3 cart) and this important feature for me in the German market is still not working.
When will this feature be implemented?
Regards
Juergen

#5 2014-12-07 06:42:44

Ben

Hi Juergen, this is not an advertised feature and I had not anticipated that it would be stumbled upon prior to purchase.  The setting was added in anticipation of the feature, since having the setting already in the database makes the upgrade smoother when the feature does get added.  I will get back to working on back taxes, hopefully for a cart upgrade either late this year or in early January.

#6 2014-12-07 08:36:18

Ben

I've added rudimentary support for back tax.  Here's how it looks.  The customer only ever sees a price of $25 for this item.  The sales tax is configured to calculate back from the total of the items+shipping.  In this case $45.  A 10% tax comes to 'included tax' of $4.09.  (10% of the pre-tax of amount of 40.91).  When 'tax shipping' is disabled, the tax comes to $2.27 (calculated back from $25)

back-tax.png

#7 2014-12-07 16:41:13

markharris
Website

I wonder why you call this rudimentary, as this is exactly what I was hoping for.

#8 2014-12-07 17:20:34

Ben

I'm glad to hear.  It's rudimentary because that is only one of several scenarios the cart pricing needs to handle.  It needs to be checked with orders that do and don't include shipping, and those that tax and don't tax shipping amongst other scenarios.  Other components affected include the price appearance in the purchase dialogue, the total given in the widget, and those in the order emails.  Also, the labelling needs to be changed through several areas, and localisation of those labels needs to be added in.

Board footer