Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-12 06:58:19

jackmcbride

Gallery to Cart

When I try to make a purchase from my test gallery (www.mcbridephotographics.com/ferrarigallery1) I get a message that says "None of these images are for sale". I can see the empty cart page, but I can't see any information in it.

Plus the cart configuration forms certainly weren't designed to sell photography. Is there any photography cart page online that I can look at to see how different size prints and options have been artfully combined using the TTG Cart.

Thanks for any assistance. The whole Cart program and documentation is very confusing to me.

JackMcB

#2 2014-09-12 07:28:16

rod barbee
Website

Re: Gallery to Cart

looks like you've created two pricing schemes (only one of which has a product assigned to it). Yet the gallery page shows that it's using the pricing scheme 'default'. Since you don't have a 'default' scheme, you're seeing the error.

Go back to the Gallery in Lightroom and fill in the name of one of your pricing schemes in the "Uniform Pricing Profile Name" field in Output Settings under Shopping Cart Integration. Export and upload again.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-09-13 04:46:33

jackmcbride

Rod,
I did what you suggested and I am still getting the "No product available for purchase" message on:
www.mcbridephotographics.com/ferrarigallery1. I also put some more info into the second pricing scheme, so there should be two available in the cart now.

Should the Php setting me turned on in my gallery? It's not since I have no interest learning PHP if I don't have to.
FYI the Admin on my cart is still the default. 

Are there any web sites that you know of where commercials photographers have used the TTG Cart to sell prints in different sizes at variable prices? I'd like to see what the potential is for something other than software that's digitally downloaded.

Thanks for you help.

JackMcB

#4 2014-09-13 05:05:54

rod barbee
Website

I does look like your page is being exported as html. Click the Enable PHPlugins checkbox in Site Info. Just doing that will force the page to export as php. You don't have to do anything else.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2014-09-13 05:09:17

rod barbee
Website

Are there any web sites that you know of where commercials photographers have used the TTG Cart to sell prints in different sizes at variable prices?

You might look through the Showcase forum: http://community.theturninggate.net/for … -showcase/
and the User Showcase: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/demos/showcase/

Look through Kristen Westlake's site too. Not only does she have some amazing images, but she makes really good use of the cart to sell prints of various sizes, prices, and options
http://kristenwestlake.net/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2014-09-13 07:09:39

jackmcbride

I turned on the PHP option in my test gallery (www.mcbridephotographics/ferrarigallery1), but I did not put in a path to the PHP plugin files. Is that necessary too?

I am still getting the same error message as before:"No products are available for purchase".

Kristen Westlake's gallery and cart could work for me, providing that I can ever figure out how to configure the drop-down menus.

Re the TTG Community sites: Daniel Leu, has no cart, Terry White's cart is some other third party's, and Mark Hoffman's is too simplistic (one item). At that point I quit looking.

Thanks again for any assistance.

JackMcB

#7 2014-09-13 08:10:27

rod barbee
Website

but I did not put in a path to the PHP plugin files. Is that necessary too?

no

I am still getting the same error message as before:"No products are available for purchase".

Until Ben can take a look, the only other thing I can think of trying it to create Pricing Schemes that don't contain quote symbols. That could be messing up javascript. Instead of  12" x 16" Matted Print, try creating one named 12x16MattedPrint. Don't for get to change the name of the scheme in the gallery Cart settings too.

Drop-down menus are by no means necessary. They look good, but you don't need them for a functioning site.

You can set up your pricing an options pretty elaborately. It just takes a little bit of playing to get used to how the cart pricing setup works.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2014-09-13 09:06:05

jackmcbride

Removing the quotes did the trick. I still only see one choice in the cart. So now I'll have to figure out how to offer more than one option. At least I can see the cart.

This is not a very user-friendly program.

JackMcB

#9 2014-09-13 09:22:31

rod barbee
Website

This is not a very user-friendly program.

It gets easier once you start using it more.

I still only see one choice in the cart.

What other choices are you wanting.

Looking at the Product, you have one attribute option as "$100 plus shipping". You don't need to include prices in these option. Just name your options. Prices get assigned when you create the pricing scheme.
The idea is to create some products and give them attributes and options. Then create pricing schemes that include the products you choose to sell with that scheme. Then assign the prices.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2014-09-13 11:39:41

jackmcbride

I have input four different print sizes and prices on one screen and two on another in the Cart. What matters and what doesn't? This program was created for software developers/sellers and then sort of poorly adapted for photographers.

It's telling that Terry White doesn't use Cart, because he know's better!

JackMcB

#11 2014-09-13 14:25:47

rod barbee
Website

you don't input prices and print sizes on the same screen. You input prices in the Pricing Scheme portion.

After you've created the pricing scheme and assigned products to it, save the Pricing Scheme. You'll see "incomplete" in red letters for the pricing schemes that need prices assigned to them. Click on "manage pricing" and fill out your prices.

If I get the time tomorrow I'll try to put together a short tutorial with screen caps for my ttg-tips site.

It might help to look at the default pricing scheme that comes with the cart. Just set up ttg-be in another folder and upload cart to it. Log in and see how the default was set up.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2014-09-14 09:14:06

rod barbee
Website

All I can say is that a lot of TTG users are using the cart successfully. It's just like any other tool, like your camera: You need to spend some time learning how to use it.
There certainly are other cart options out there you can choose from. In fact, Gallery is already set up to interface with Fotomoto if you want to use their services.
I don't know Terry White personally so I can't say whether or not he "knows better." Perhaps he already had an established system that works for him. You might ask him rather than assuming he rejected the TTG Cart.

I did manage to  put together a short, basic tutorial on setting up Products and Pricing in the cart. Perhaps it will help.
http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … -ttg-cart/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2014-09-14 11:02:11

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The product was developed for photographers, with input from photographers all throughout its lifespan. It's been built for photography from day one, and was never adapted from anything else.

And the reasons Terry White sells prints through SmugMug are that he was already a Pro member prior to setting up sales, and because they do the printing and shipping on his behalf, similarly to our Fotomoto support. CE4 Cart is geared towards photographers who want to manage their own shipping and printing, so obviously not what he wants. And given the amount of time that Terry spends on the road doing workshops, etc., that makes perfect sense. Like as not, he won't be at home to fulfill an order when it arrives.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#14 2014-09-14 12:18:37

Ben

It looks like you have confused the purpose of a pricing scheme.  A pricing scheme combines one or more products, and matches prices against the attributes and options of those products.  You have two products:
12x16MattedPrint
16x20MattedPrint

But have also created pricing schemes named:
12x16MattedPrint
16x20MattedPrint

A name would normally encompass something descriptive about the grouping of products and the pricing you're applying.  For example you might have two pricing schemes that both include the two products.  The first, named 'default' could have lower-tiered pricing, and the second, named 'premium' could have higher-tiered pricing.  Or you may choose to give the scheme a name that reflects the choice of products you have assigned to it, e.g. school-photography, or weddings.

This is all covered in the documentation, e.g. at http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … nd_pricing

#15 2014-09-15 12:22:20

markh
Website

Was following along here and noticed Jackmcbride said I only had one item available in my shopping area which I knew was wrong...except that when I checked he was right! The problem? I had added a new product type without addressing the shipping charges for said product which sort of clobbered the other products I had available. So a word to the wise to avoid my blunder (which I didn't even know I had made), when modifying products check your shipping charges. And thanks Jackmcbride for pointing out my error. For a demo of the different products check the offerings in one of the Main galleries as opposed to the Art print galleries, provided I have them working correctly now at http://www.photophart.com
MarkH

Last edited by markh (2014-09-15 12:42:39)

#16 2014-09-17 07:28:48

jackmcbride

My thanks to Rod Barbee for the " TTG Tips and Tricks" download that he prepared (see link above).
By putting menus and choices together the "Scheme" it all becomes more obvious.

Currently I have four choices in a drop-down format. Now I just have to get over the purchase/payment hurdle.

Somebody should write a "TTG for Dummies" book!

JackMcB

#17 2014-09-17 07:34:51

rod barbee
Website

Somebody should write a "TTG for Dummies" book!

I've actually thought of doing that but I fear that updating it would keep me from any sleep. (Matt stays busy adding cool new things). Thus the TTG-Tips site. Hopefully I'll be updating it this fall after workshop season is over. I really need to update the "The Plug-ins" page. It's all CE3 at the moment.

But if you have any specific tutorial requests, pop on over to the site and send me an email. I'll see what I can do.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer