Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-12 22:04:36

kristenwestlake
Website

Search results posting broken links (images that no longer exist)

My search results are posting broken image files (images on pages that no longer exist) along with the good images that do exist. There are quite a few of these broken boxes and I'm wondering how to fix this.
Example when searching for 'eagle' http://kristenwestlake.net/search/?q=eagle

Judging by the larger and masonry looking thumbs of the broken linked results, it looks like the broken files may be from my old CE3 files that I've migrated.

I've been getting this in results for a few days now and have cleared my cache numerous times so it must be something I need to clear out in my files?

Thanks!
Kristen

Last edited by kristenwestlake (2014-08-12 22:05:03)

#2 2014-08-12 22:19:34

rod barbee
Website

Re: Search results posting broken links (images that no longer exist)

wonder if there are some leftovers in an xml file or in the database. It will be interesting to find out what Ben says.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-08-12 22:37:33

kristenwestlake
Website

I know, I wonder.

I was able to left click to determine the link location .. they all appear, at least in the eagle search, to be 'located' in the same non existent folder:

http://kristenwestlake.net/galleries/wi … single.php

#4 2014-08-12 23:48:31

Daniel Leu
Website

You have an album that doesn't exist anymore: Galleries » Wildlife » Wild Birds » Raptor Portfolio pointing to http://kristenwestlake.net/galleries/wi … and-Hawks/

Did you maybe deleted it by hand on the server? If yes, it seems you can recreate it in Lr and then delete it again to cleanup these leftovers on the server.

BTW, love your site!

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#5 2014-08-13 00:22:19

kristenwestlake
Website

Hi Daniel,

Thank you, I'm glad you like my site! smile

I tried to recreate the wild gallery in LR but it states that there is a duplicate gallery online. I do believe I manually took it off the server. There must be some hidden folders as I do not see that folder or any remnants of it on the server. Any ideas?

Thank you so much!
Kristen

#6 2014-08-13 00:30:39

kristenwestlake
Website

I wonder if I have any files that are unnecessary after migrating from CE3 to CE4 and maybe one is 'holding' onto the old folder called 'wild'.
I did have to redo the wild gallery as it was another album set within wildlife. So I named the new one 'wild-birds' at 'http://www.kristenwestlake.net/gallerie … ild-birds/'

Something must still be picking up on that old one.
I have these files inside the wildlife folder where just wild-birds and mammals gallery folders live:
autoindex.xml
gallery.xml
gallery_ce3.xml
index.php
index_ce3.php
lib.php
lib_ce3.php
php_errorlog

Can I delete the ce3 files? maybe that would take care of the issue?

#7 2014-08-13 02:31:39

Daniel Leu
Website

CE4 now uses a database on your server to keep track of your images and galleries. So you might not see the directory, the database still knows about it.

I tried to recreate the wild gallery in LR but it states that there is a duplicate gallery online. I do believe I manually took it off the server. There must be some hidden folders as I do not see that folder or any remnants of it on the server. Any ideas?

Were you able to recreate the gallery or did Lr prevent you from doing it?

You might want to check with Ben how you can get rid of this old album set.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#8 2014-08-13 02:45:44

kristenwestlake
Website

thank you Daniel,

LR prevented me from doing it, stating there was a duplicate and that it would add a number behind the name (I am not sure now the exact wording).

Hoping Ben will check in and give some info on how to get rid of the old album set. Its happening with any deleted albums I have. When I'd delete them in LR it would state that even if I deleted it in LR that the album may still exist on the server. That is when I'd go in and manually delete the album.

Thank you smile

#9 2014-08-13 03:48:53

kristenwestlake
Website

Daniel,

Really love your site as well smile Especially that first image that comes up on your slideshow - gorgeous!
I love how the moon mimics the light ~ and then all the colors of light in the background as though mini moons. Beautiful smile

#10 2014-08-13 04:53:16

Daniel Leu
Website

Thank you, Kristen, for the kind words! I remember this moon shot well... I almost went home because it was too cloudy. But eventually the moon showed up for a few clicks.

Hoping Ben will check in and give some info on how to get rid of the old album set. Its happening with any deleted albums I have. When I'd delete them in LR it would state that even if I deleted it in LR that the album may still exist on the server. That is when I'd go in and manually delete the album.

That's strange. Let's see what Ben advices. If you don't hear from him in a day or two, you might want to PM him.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#11 2014-08-13 05:24:27

kristenwestlake
Website

I'm glad you stayed to create that image ~ its one of a kind! I can imagine the emotion behind it!

I'm sure Ben will check in at some point. You all have to sleep sometime too! lol

#12 2014-08-13 09:29:30

Ben

Good morning Kristen.  We need to work out two things here: how to remove these and how the problem came about.
It may be possible to re-create the wild album set and Raptors-Osprey-Eagles-and-Hawks album.  Have you tried re-creating those in Lightroom?  You can ignore the message about appending a number.  If you're not able to re-create them, then I'll need to manually remove them from the database for you.
Do you remember what steps, if any, you took to remove wild or Raptors-Osprey-Eagles-and-Hawks from your server?  For example, did you remove them from within Lightroom or manually delete them via FTP?  I am hoping it was the latter, otherwise the implication is that there is a bug in Publisher that lets the database become inconsistent with the file structure.

Lastly, is this the only album that's broken in search?

#13 2014-08-14 03:49:44

kristenwestlake
Website

Hi Ben,

I did recreate the wild album in Lightroom but when I tried to publish it says :
Can’t update this collection. The containing album set has not yet been created on the server. Edit the parent Alubm set to save it to the server before publishing to this album. When I try to publish the album set "Wild" I get the same message. I'm trying to publish the wild folder inside the Wildlife folder, as it was previously.

To get the wild and other albums off the server I first removed via Lightroom but that only removed them from my Lightroom galleries. Lightroom gives me this message:
You may delete this collection from Lightroom's catalog anyway, but it may remain on the service.

From there I went in and manually removed the folders via ftp.

It isn't the only album broken in the search. Any and all albums that I have manually taken off because Lightroom didn't fully remove them (as per the message above) show up in search. I am unaware of how many albums there might be as many of them were temporary galleries that I put up for clients and then later removed. But almost all my searches result in showing albums that do not exist.

Thanks Ben!
Kristen

#14 2014-08-14 04:26:43

kristenwestlake
Website

Ben,
I am doing a bunch of random searches right now and it seems that almost all the broken albums in the search are from the wild gallery. I know I had some from earlier client galleries though. Seems that maybe its the album sets within album sets that have given the most issue.

#15 2014-08-14 07:42:07

Ben

Hi Kristen, Thanks for the further details.. the crux of the problem seems to be that removing the album/s in Lightroom left them untouched on the server.  The Lightroom log may shed some light on this.  Can you find the file ttg.log in Documents or My Documents, zip it and email it to me?

If you like, I can remove these from your database.  To do so I'll need the admin login for your TTG BE setup (change it to something not sensitive first).  Am I right that 'wild' and the 'Raptors-Osprey-Eagles-and-Hawks' album both need removing?

#16 2014-08-14 08:03:45

kristenwestlake
Website

Hi Ben,

My ttg.log is over 25 mg and won't attach. I could upload it to my server for you? Or is there a part in there that I can copy and paste for you? I will email you my log in details.

In the future, should I first delete any unwanted galleries and / or albums via ftp and then remove them from my LR?

Actually it was all of the galleries under the 'wild' album.  Wild was established as an autoindex under "wildlife" and then 'wild' was established for bird galleries. Do you need each name or will you be able to see them if you get to the 'wild' album?

thank you!
Kristen

Last edited by kristenwestlake (2014-08-14 08:08:17)

#17 2014-08-14 08:06:32

kristenwestlake
Website

Once I zipped the file it went through to email smile

#18 2014-08-14 09:48:01

Ben

Thanks Kristen.  I've hidden the albums from search for now, until I hear back to you regarding the galleries to delete.
I found the initial error in the log: when attempting to delete 'wild' from the server, the server responded that the directory could not be deleted.  Unfortunately it doesn't state why this was the case.  Had you uploaded any files or galleries into 'wild' manually via FTP?  That's the only thing I could think of that could cause the error.

#19 2014-08-14 10:38:56

kristenwestlake
Website

Hi Ben and you're welcome and thank YOU!

No, I never uploaded any files manually via FTP into the 'wild'. That is strange.

It seems whenever I've attempted to delete a gallery or an album from the server through LR it tells me that it may not delete from the server. It deletes from LR but I have to go in and manually delete it from the server via FTP. .. thus the results we are seeing now.

What do you recommend me doing in the future regarding this as I'm sure I'll encounter the need to delete at some point.
Thank you Ben smile

Board footer