Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-11 22:59:41

laurent.caribou

Migration question

I have a site working with CS3 with a lots of galeries (several hundreds).

I would like to migrate to CS4 for most of my site but I would like to keep the old galeries with CS3 (I don't have the time to migrate all my galeries) and having the new one with CS4 (I also use pages and autoindex for my site that I intend to migrate to CS4 too).

I then have several questions :
- Can autoindex CS4 index CS3 galeries alongside with CS4 galeries ?
- Will my CS3 galeries still work knowing that I use shared resources in them and that I use phpplugins for the menus (multi-level menus) and for the add-this functionalities.

I wouldn't want to try a migration and discover in the middle of the process that this is undoable.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Laurent from http://caribou-photo.fr

#2 2014-08-11 23:38:47

rod barbee
Website

Re: Migration question

- Can autoindex CS4 index CS3 galeries alongside with CS4 galeries ?

yes, CE4 index can index CE3 galleries

- Will my CS3 galeries still work knowing that I use shared resources in them and that I use phpplugins for the menus (multi-level menus) and for the add-this functionalities.

You can't share CE4 Pages resources with CE3 galleries. CSS has changed so you'll see some weirdness happening in your CE3 galleries.
I don't think there's a workaround for this that doesn't involve reexporting and uploading all galleries. If you're using Publisher, this would be easier.
Since you're managing navigation with phplugins, the Site Root field in Site Info isn't being used for navigation. Instead it directs your galleries to the shared resources. (as far as I know)
What you could to is upload your CE3 Pages export to a sub folder and then change the Site Root in your Publisher templates to this location. This way, any Publisher controlled album or album set will be looking in the right place for the shared resources.

Same with your phplugins controlled navigation. The navigation structure and css has changed so that CE3 is incompatible with CE4.
What I suggest is to keep your CE3 phplugins/ folder and file in place to manage your CE3 galleries. Name your CE4 phplugins folder something like phplugins-ce4/ and it can manage all your CE4 stuff. That's what I did when moving from CE2 to CE3 and it works just fine and covers your entire site while you're working on migrating things.
Just be sure to change the path to the /phplugins/css/custom.css file to /phplugins-ce4/css/custom.css if you're using custom css.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-08-11 23:58:33

Daniel Leu
Website

During my migration from CE3 to CE4, I had part of the site running CE3 (and I still have a few pages under CE3) while I continually added new modules in CE4. Phplugins for CE4 are named phplugins_ce4 to avoid conflicts. As far as I can remember, this was the only thing I had to do avoid conflicts between the two versions.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#4 2014-08-12 00:45:13

laurent.caribou

Thanks Rod and Daniel for your answer.

For phpplugins, as I used it since the beginning go CE3 which didn't have the phpplugins.samples, I store it in a myphpplugins folder so that shouldn't be a problem.

I've got to work with the shared resources though. I'll see what I can do with moving it (but I don't use publisher since once my galeries are posted, I don't change them).
However can someone tell me where the shared resources are ? Are they in a specific folder (or set of folders) or are they dispatch all over the directories ?

#5 2014-08-12 01:46:21

rod barbee
Website

In CE3 some are in the resources/css/ folder. Some are scripts housed elsewhere in the resources/ folder

In CE4, the resources folder has become the lib/ folder.

Probably the best way to tell what's being shared and where it's coming from is to export a gallery with Shared Resources enabled and then looking at the source code.
Assets that are being sourced from shared resources will have urls starting at the root of the site and going directly into the /lib/ folder. (/resources/ for CE3)
Assets that are not shared will be sourced from the gallery itself (or from the Publisher template for those interested)

There may be more to it than that, but it's a good place to start.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#6 2014-08-21 18:47:44

laurent.caribou

Thanks Rod for your answer. I think that I might be able to do my migration after all.

Thank you again.

Board footer