Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-09 20:37:02

Ken
Website

How to get rid of Discount Code in cart

How do I remove the Discount Code option in the cart? I do not offer discounts and having such a box might encourage customers to inquire about discounts. There must be some way to remove it, but I haven't discovered where in the BE Cart Administration.

#2 2014-08-09 21:37:26

Ben

Re: How to get rid of Discount Code in cart

There's no configuration option to remove this. Your best option is to hide the field using CSS.

#3 2014-08-09 21:49:25

Ken
Website

Ben wrote:

There's no configuration option to remove this. Your best option is to hide the field using CSS.

I tried eliminating the discount code text in localisations, but BE Admin will not allow this.

Any suggestions where I can find instructions on how to use CSS to hide the discount code field?

#4 2014-08-09 21:53:40

Ken
Website

Ben wrote:

I was able to substitute a dash for Discount Code and Apply Discount. It looks a little funny, but may be better that suggesting discounts to customers.

#5 2014-08-09 21:55:48

rod barbee
Website

Enable custom css via phplugins: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … custom_css

Then use the inspector developer tool (Firebug, etc.) to determine the selector you need to target.
I've got a posting about how to do that here: http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … selectors/

Last edited by rod barbee (2014-08-09 21:56:14)

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#6 2014-08-09 23:51:16

Ken
Website

Thanks for the link to your tips about editing CSS.

I am perplexed why when no discount codes have been created, the discount field would appear in the cart. It would make sense that this field should only appear if the seller has created discount codes or coupons.

Last edited by Ken (2014-08-10 00:13:16)

#7 2014-08-10 00:20:35

rod barbee
Website

I wouldn't know the ins and outs of the coding. It's probably one of those things listed under easier said than done smile

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2014-08-10 08:23:08

Ben

Ken wrote:

I am perplexed why when no discount codes have been created, the discount field would appear in the cart.

It's appears because there's no code to hide it when there aren't discount codes.

#9 2014-08-10 20:08:27

Ken
Website

I had intended to use the cart only for direct print sales to customers. Since I do not offer discounts, having a discount field in the cart would create confusion in the minds of potential customers.

Because there is no easy option to disable/remove it, I have decided to utilize it for another purpose by changing the labels in the Localisations settings. I have set up this input field for use by resellers such as galleries and interior designers who sell my prints. Even though I already had in place an ordering procedure for them, I think this will work for them. The only odd thing is that since they are resellers, they do not pay sales tax. The cart does not have the capability of handling two sales tax models, so to work around this, those resellers who live in my state have to select a different state in the cart to eliminate the sales tax.

The cart seems to be organized more for wedding/portrait photographers. Perhaps in the future the cart can be refined so that it can accommodate photographers who sell their work through resellers.

Thanks for explaining how this works.

#10 2014-08-10 20:58:48

rod barbee
Website

Because there is no easy option to disable/remove it

Actually there is: custom css.
If you don't want to dive into css, I get that. But there are a number of people here that can provide what you need. All you need to do is implement it on your end, and Matt has it all set up in phplugins.
for example, to remove the Discount Code completely:

fieldset.discount-entry {
    display: none;
}

You've been making a number of requests that are easily dealt with by using custom css. If you think you're going to need more customizations, it will pay off to just go ahead and enable phplugins and custom css. Doing it now will save you more work later.

Perhaps in the future the cart can be refined so that it can accommodate photographers who sell their work through resellers.

It sounds to me that your situation is unique compared to other Cart users so I wouldn't expect a major change in how taxing is applied to be implemented for such a rare scenario.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2014-08-10 21:06:51

Ben

For what it's worth, I've added the automatic removal of the Discount Code to my to-do list.  I can't offer a timeline of when I'll be able to work on that.

#12 2014-08-10 21:16:23

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The cart is designed to allow photographers to sell their work directly to clients. It's flexible enough to accommodate various needs different photographers may have, but is not designed to distribute work in a wholesale-to-resale relationship. Keep in mind that this is a $50 shopping cart system and a one-time purchase. If you want something more robust, then you won't find anything else offering the same features anywhere near our price range. You'll need to shop high-end solutions, probably pay a high monthly fee or a portion of your transactions, and may need to hire someone to set it all up for you.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#13 2014-08-10 21:45:20

Ken
Website

Matthew wrote:

The cart is designed to allow photographers to sell their work directly to clients. It's flexible enough to accommodate various needs different photographers may have, but is not designed to distribute work in a wholesale-to-resale relationship. Keep in mind that this is a $50 shopping cart system and a one-time purchase. If you want something more robust, then you won't find anything else offering the same features anywhere near our price range. You'll need to shop high-end solutions, probably pay a high monthly fee or a portion of your transactions, and may need to hire someone to set it all up for you.

All good points. I am very impressed with the Cart plug-in and its adaptability. In particular I want to be able to control all aspects of my website: adding/changing galleries, updating metada, pricing etc. so I am do not want to have to rely upon an outside website programer.

I know it is a lot of work creating the TTG plug-ins. I really appreciate being able to use them and the kind, patient and thoughtful support provided on this forum.

#14 2014-08-10 21:52:40

Ken
Website

Ben wrote:

For what it's worth, I've added the automatic removal of the Discount Code to my to-do list.  I can't offer a timeline of when I'll be able to work on that.

I think something something more important and that should be at the top of the list is the ability to assign several different product/pricing schemes to a single image. Many photographers, whether landscape, wildlife, portrait/wedding, now sell their prints in several product types. For example: paper prints, canvas gallery wraps, and metal prints. If it would be possible to set up a product/pricing scheme for each of these three products and then assign the three schemes to a single image, then in the add to cart dialog box there could be a pull down menu for print type (paper, gallery wrap, or metal), then a different pull down menu with the sizes and prices for the selected product print(product) type.

I think many photographers who sell there work directly to clients would really appreciate this capability. Perhaps multiple meta data fields could be designated for /product pricing schemes

#15 2014-08-10 22:13:57

Ben

You've just described how products and pricing schemes already work.

#16 2014-08-10 22:17:38

rod barbee
Website

you can already accommodate different print types in one pricing scheme.
create the products you want with the attributes you need:
Metal prints with different sizes
Canvas prints with different sizes
paper prints with different sizes, different papers/finishes/, matt options, frame options.

Create a pricing scheme and assign all these products to the one pricing scheme.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#17 2014-08-10 22:45:48

Ken
Website

rod barbee wrote:

you can already accommodate different print types in one pricing scheme.
create the products you want with the attributes you need:
Metal prints with different sizes
Canvas prints with different sizes
paper prints with different sizes, different papers/finishes/, matt options, frame options.

Create a pricing scheme and assign all these products to the one pricing scheme.

Now I understand. I had read the documentation but misunderstood how this works. I am so thrilled, this makes me very happy. smile

#18 2014-08-10 22:47:14

Ken
Website

Ben wrote:

You've just described how products and pricing schemes already work.

Now I understand, I am very happy about this smile

Board footer