Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-22 12:43:23

evan
Website

max-width limitation

While this may seem extreme I have begun designing the site around 4k resolutions.  Several of my clients (architects) have switched to 4k monitors for their work and they run them in native resolution all the time.  The limit of 2500px doesn't quite make it to these resolutions, as well as the 2880 max large image width.  Not that I absolutely need it at the moment but is this a possible future to extend these limits to the 3860 or 4096 of 4k?

#2 2014-07-22 13:10:11

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: max-width limitation

I could extend the range of sliders easily enough, but such values are absolutely impractical for Web, regardless of the display resolution on which the site is being viewed.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2014-07-22 13:39:55

evan
Website

very true for file size but with the advent of higher and higher resolutions what are we going to do.  sites designed around 1280 screens breakdown at high resolutions as well as you leave a lot of space wasted.  bandwidth of course is an issue with large file sizes but video dwarfs what we are talking here.  the site is responsive enough to only send the size image required correct, so if the images were set that large the site only sends an image sized appropriately for the display?  or am i completely incorrect there.  would you have to have a smart screen check and use separate images for resolutions that high?

#4 2014-07-22 14:19:45

Matthew
Administrator
Website

very true for file size but with the advent of higher and higher resolutions what are we going to do.

Presently, this isn't really our problem. ISPs need to improve their networks and the speed of content delivery. Display manufactures and ISPs don't really seem to be talking to each other.

Video streaming has got nothing to do with loading images on the page, because the video typically doesn't load all at once; pages and images do. You can start watching your video on YouTube long before the video finishes loading to completion. No one wants to sit around for an age watching a loading spinner, waiting for an image, then to do that for every image on the page.

And no, the page doesn't load "just the right image for the screen". It loads the image, the only one it has, and then resizes that image -- however large -- to fit the limitations of the screen. The new "srcset" attribute aims to solve this, but it's only now beginning to be adopted by browsers, meaning support is still extremely lacking. And even so, just because I have a larger display does not necessary correspond to an increase in patience while I wait for that massive "most screen appropriate" version of the image to load.

All this to say, you should not be designing websites to 4K. I don't mean to be rude, but the proposition itself is ludicrous.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer