Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-11 05:45:19

Panagon
Website

CE3 architectural question

Let's say I would like three Albums accessed through the top level "Galleries" menu. Together with Pages the Highslide Gallery design is complete and saved in a "User Template". The images for the three Albums are placed in the LR Collections (Web Galleries). As the next step I would like to add the album "Description" for each album in the Highslide Gallery Color Palette panel (Block Content" as well as the Auto indexing (Album Title) in the Output Settings panel.

Question - Where does CE3 persistently store the unique album descriptions and auto indexing info for each album? Do I need to create separate Highslide User Template instances for each album? Or, does CE3 store the info in the LR Collections (Web Galleries)?

#2 2013-08-11 06:19:03

rod barbee
Website

Re: CE3 architectural question

each Gallery export creates an autoindex.xml file. That's where the gallery index accesses the album title, description, url, and thumbnail info

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2013-08-11 06:19:57

kkramer2195

Hi,

I will let Matt or one of the moderators answer the storing of the unique album descriptions, but I can answer the second part of your question regarding the creation of separate User Template Instances....the answer is no (unless you want different layout of galleries)

For example, why my site has is one Gallery Template and when using Publisher (which I HIGHLY Recommend), when you create your album, you specify which gallery template to use (the template is uploaded to a folder in the /publisher/templates folder.  There is also an Auto Index template which you can create and put into the /publisher/template_autoindex folder.

If you had an instance where you wanted to different layouts for your galleries, you could create two layouts (lets say for example you want a layout for portraits and another layout for landscapes)  So you could name one template Portraits and the other Landscape so when you create your album and specify the template to use (via Publisher) you can pick the Portrait or Landscape Template.

I would look into the Publisher product because once you have it setup you will find it so much easier to maintain your galleries!

Ken

#4 2013-08-11 06:43:09

Panagon
Website

rod barbee wrote:

each Gallery export creates an autoindex.xml file. That's where the gallery index accesses the album title, description, url, and thumbnail info

Thanks Rod - Based on your answer I assume that the workflow would require an "Export" anytime after I make changes to an album title, description, etc before I switch to a different Album - correct?

#5 2013-08-11 06:52:51

Panagon
Website

kkramer2195 wrote:

I would look into the Publisher product because once you have it setup you will find it so much easier to maintain your galleries!

Ken, thanks for the recommendation. I have purchased and successfully installed the Publisher. I am currently trying to understand how to use it and it seems that in the long run this is a good way to go.

#6 2013-08-11 07:38:34

rod barbee
Website

Thanks Rod - Based on your answer I assume that the workflow would require an "Export" anytime after I make changes to an album title, description, etc before I switch to a different Album - correct?

each individual gallery would require an export and upload. I used to use the same User Template for each gallery I created, changing only the info for autoindexing, the pictures (of course) and any custom text I needed in the block.

But as Ken says, using Publisher has made all of that so much easier. No more exporting and uploading each and every gallery. Just create a new Album in Publisher, add the pictures, any text, and click Publish.

If you haven't seen this already, it might help better explain how all the parts fit together:
http://ce3wiki.theturninggate.net/doku. … publishing

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#7 2013-08-11 11:29:42

Panagon
Website

After reading more about the Publisher it is starting to look like a no-brainer. It seems a simpler and faster way to build, upload and maintain the website. With minimizing the use of the Export function I hope I can prevent my CPU fan to wear out before I am done with project...... smile

#8 2013-08-11 12:23:24

kkramer2195

Plus if you need to make a change to a album, you make the change in publisher and boom!  It is on the site!  Make a layout change?  Export new gallery template and upload to /Publisher/template folder, Boom! New template on galleries pages!

Once I started to use publisher, I was amazed at how much easier it makes maintaining my photo albums!  I even use it to maintain my videos I self host ,  gives me same functions with a little extra work for the videos, but it is worth it for the ease in maintaining the albums once built!

Ken

#9 2013-08-11 17:00:29

dbt85

Panagon wrote:

After reading more about the Publisher it is starting to look like a no-brainer. It seems a simpler and faster way to build, upload and maintain the website. With minimizing the use of the Export function I hope I can prevent my CPU fan to wear out before I am done with project...... smile

I sat playing with the Publisher for 5 hours last night. It's unreal how simple it makes maintaining your galleries. I spent plenty of time fiddling around and have only had the TTP Plugins for 2 days, and know my way around a computer better than most, but I can't get over how easy this makes it. My sister in law and a mate who both want websites they can easily update with new photos are not that great with the more fiddly parts of computers. But once set up they don't need anything more than a simple crib sheet if somehow they got stuck.

1) create an album
2) give it a title, a template, password if you want (I had a password on my Wedding template)
3) drop images in
4) hit publish

Made an edit? Hit publish. Removed or added a photo? Hit publish. Changed your watermark? Hit publish.

The silly thing is that there are people out there with Lightroom that want a website that don't know about TTG. They think what ships from Adobe is all there is and that in itself is a travesty.

#10 2013-08-12 15:40:14

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The silly thing is that there are people out there with Lightroom that want a website that don't know about TTG. They think what ships from Adobe is all there is and that in itself is a travesty.

Indeed! And thank you for the compliments. I wish there were some good way of reaching out to more of those people, but unless they go looking or hear about us from someone they know, ... well just *sigh* ...

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer