Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-22 02:24:32

pideja

SEARCH function

On 2020-02-18 18:30:36, about the search function, Daniel Leu wrote:

Works well with full names too. Just put them in quotes: "MICHEL BEAULIEU". If you want matching images, you need to enhance the caption and keywords. There is more about using a search in http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … t_s_search

The use of quote (") really helps. As an example, a search for Michel Goulet will return 13 items but if the search is stated "Michel Goulet" will return the correct answer: one production only.
This is for people, but when trying to find productions from a specific theatre, say DUCEPPE for example, only one of thirteen shows are returned.

By the way, this site is sort of a pictural database of theatre productions I have photographed for the last 32 years. My intention is to publish if not all then most of these productions, complete with dates and creative artists names included. So, a search function will come in very handy.

I'd like to know if I can include some text on the search page, to help users.

Also, the initial page where the search box is, displays no masthead, nor top pallet or menu. It's just a box and a loupe symbol. But, once a search is initiated, the appearance of the page conforms to the rest of the site. Why is this?

pideja.ca

Last edited by pideja (2020-02-22 02:34:20)

#2 2020-02-22 03:07:19

rod barbee
Website

Re: SEARCH function

The use of quote (") really helps. As an example, a search for Michel Goulet will return 13 items but if the search is stated "Michel Goulet" will return the correct answer: one production only.
This is for people, but when trying to find productions from a specific theatre, say DUCEPPE for example, only one of thirteen shows are returned.

Backlight's search operates on keywords, file names, album titles and image captions

Do all of your pictures have updated captions and keywords? If updated since publication, have you re-published the images?

I'd like to know if I can include some text on the search page, to help users.

Yes, you can add text to the search page.
Go to Settings > Languages. Click Manage Language and scroll down to the Publisher area.

Also, the initial page where the search box is, displays no masthead, nor top pallet or menu. It's just a box and a loupe symbol. But, once a search is initiated, the appearance of the page conforms to the rest of the site. Why is this?

That's just a search form in a pop up window that appears when using that search icon. If, instead, you want your viewers to go directly to the search page, remove that link in the Top Pallet and add a link to the search page in your menu: /backlight/search/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2020-02-22 05:11:59

pideja

I am in the process of updating all TITLES in Lightroom Publisher and in Backlight. This should go a long way to return results show names correctly. Also, I started assigning keywords to the images via Lightroom.
Of course, alway put request between "" "". It might take a while but in the end, it should make the search more precise.

Added text to the search page. That's the one that appears with the results. But, alas, I can't find where

to remove that link in the Top Pallet and add a link to the search page in your menu: /backlight/search/

Is that in the php or the CSS or directly in Backlight?

#4 2020-02-22 06:47:29

rod barbee
Website

Remove the search icon on the top pallet by editing the page template > Top Pallet: Quick Search

then add the search page menu item to your menu set

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2020-02-26 03:11:39

pideja

Ok, I removed the Quick Search icon then added a search item in the navigation, as per your suggestion. Works well, except that now, there is a text "The search intro" appearing on the search page.
Trouble is I can't find in CSS, in the PHP nor in Backlight where is this text so I can change it. Any hints?

Looking at the pideja.ca folder structure on my ftp client, I notice that the search folder is not in  /backlight/search/ but rather  /galleries/search/

pideja.ca

Last edited by pideja (2020-02-26 03:22:21)

#6 2020-02-26 05:02:36

Daniel Leu
Website

The folder path /backlight/search is correct. This is not a physical directory. That's why you don't see it. /gallery/search might be a residue of some of your earlier experiments.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#7 2020-02-26 05:17:25

pideja

Thanks, Daniel but I am still looking to edit that pesky text on the search page. Even using the inspector, I have no clue.

#8 2020-02-26 07:38:25

rod barbee
Website

Edit that text in Backlight > Settings > Languages. Click on Manage Language
There’s a section titled Publisher, and the Search a Intro Text field is there.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer