Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-23 19:05:09

kcphoto

Create galley with sections/headers

I have used another piece of software for years where I could upload a gallery that would automatically create headers/sections based on the "special instructions" field of the IPTC. Here is a link to a typical gallery.
http://www.keithcurtisphoto.co.uk/photos/3318e/

I have moved to Backlight (not version2) so that I could create yearly galleries for our folk festival that could be viewed on phones and integrate it into our website. What is useful is to upload directly from Lightroom.
http://www.newforestfolkfestival.co.uk/gallery.html

Here is the question ....
I have taken photos of 34 different groups and artists at this years festival that have lots more pictures they would like to see and use where instead of having thirty four different galleries to share with them individually I would like to upload them in the same way as my original shopping cart (without the cart) with each band having a header on the same page where they can view and save websize pics and contact me should they need a larger one.

Sorry so long, have done some searches but not found anything and all the selection galleries are for single galleries.
It is the IPTC bit for grouping that would be real handy if possible.

Cheers, Keith

#2 2019-07-23 23:09:48

rod barbee
Website

Re: Create galley with sections/headers

If I'm following correctly, what you want to do with the album masthead is possible, but I believe you'll need to upgrade to Backlight 2. Phplugins in Backlight 2 can access some IPTC fields.
See this album as an example: https://backlight-2-100.barbeephoto.com … o-in-copy/

There is a sample function in the phplugins-pangolin-sample.php file that you can use as a starting point.

What do you mean by "view and save?" How do you want that to work?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-07-24 20:46:26

kcphoto

Dear Rod, thank you for taking the trouble to reply. I took a look at your gallery and I think you are using the iptc info to fill in description fields which can also be handy but in my case I use the "special instruction" or plain "instruction" field to group images together with the same title forming a whole bunch of headers within the one gallery in one go using photo mechanic "export". I have quickly made one such a gallery here:  http://www.keithcurtisphoto.co.uk/photo … 2/?reset=1
The view and save is giving the artists a chance to check out the pictures I took and have the option to "save as" the web image for their own use then contact me if they want a larger one.

It could be that I need to go back to the drawing board with backlight and check out how to create a single gallery with it's own address that I can upload to with each individual artist which might not be too bad directly from lightroom. Only 35 seperate uploads which would all go to the same place with its own thumbnail header.

#4 2019-07-24 20:56:00

rod barbee
Website

Other image optic meta data is available to phplugins in Backlight 2. I don’t know if the fields you need are currently available but Matt or Ben (the developers) should.

Your option of individual albums would work too,

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2019-07-24 21:14:05

rod barbee
Website

Look at the Client Response add-on for allowing viewers to select images. They can then filter the view to show only those selected. You can set up the album template to allow downloads or they can simply right-click and Save As...
I think the Single Image Pages presentation

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2019-07-25 15:50:23

kcphoto

Once again, thanks for your help Rod. It is not information about the photos that I want to publish but to use a specific iptc field to group together photos with the same group name which in my case using the quite old EOS Template in conjunction with photo mechanic uses the "special instruction" field to do this as demonstrated from my link above.
http://www.keithcurtisphoto.co.uk/photo … 2/?reset=1

I already use the clent response on my own personal site for models, portraits and promo work and indeed it is useful to use the response data to paste into the lightroom search field to filter the selection easily.

I think what I will do is create another publish service named "Artist Selection" on the same server so I can upload a set of photos for each artist which will create a thumbnail header without it interfering with the festival website gallery. I can also use the client response template that I already have.

While I wont be able to upload all the images in one go I figured it will be useful to edit and add photos easily from lightroom especially as some of the artists are regular performers from previous years. I can then send them a link to the whole gallery which will be seperate to the one used by the website.

Cheers
Keith

Last edited by kcphoto (2019-07-25 16:05:26)

#7 2019-07-25 16:03:38

Daniel Leu
Website

Hi Keith,

One option would be to use search to help display a subset of images.

You can see an example on my page at https://danielleu.com/galleries/united_ … a/sail-gp/. All images are in one gallery, but I added the thumbnail strip where one can search images of one particular team. The images are searched by keywords, which is something you could add with Photomechanic.

Another approach is using phplugins. With Backlight 2 you get access to the entire image gallery structure. You could then display only images based on certain metadata. This approach would better match your current gallery, but the implementation would require quite a bit of coding.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

Board footer