Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-13 10:22:13

jherman
Website

Publisher v. FotoMoto

I am sure FotoMoto has created a number of palpations today. Thanks to Matt, I was able to intervene in short order; otherwise I may not have noticed the problem for some time. My site is primarily a repository for friends and family and to date the only photos I've sold were to my wife ... a bit of a "sad puppy look" may have been involved.

Enter the magic of Publisher. Several months ago I questioned my sanity as I doggedly went through over a hundred galleries and converted them to Publisher. I persisted and converted them all.

Today the effort paid off in spades. In little over an hour I updated a total of 6 Publisher templates by disabling the Fotomoto option and moved the templates to the BlueHost directory. The ill-fated Shopping cart is gone!

At least my VERY few customers are protected from a potential fraud.

Now the issue of what to do with the missing shopping cart. I suppose I could almost as easily install CE2 Cart and again update my templates with CE2 versions (may not be as easy), but .... I think I'll wait for the CE3 Cart.

Now the real issue is that for a casual user, more nerd with a camera than anything remotely professional, is how to replace the simplicity of a fulfillment service .... I do not have the infrastructure to serve as my own fulfillment center, but may have to consider options. Thoughts here would be appreciated.

In summary, thanks Matt. My empathy to all who are actually making a living in this racket.

Jim.
http://jamesherman.net/

User with too little time but coding is therapeutic.

#2 2013-06-13 11:12:52

rod barbee
Website

Re: Publisher v. FotoMoto

There are other services for fulfillment, albeit perhaps not automatic ones. There are plenty of labs (White House Custom Color in the US comes to mind: www.whcc.com) where you could upload images and get the prints either sent to you or drop shipped to your customer.
This might add a day or so to the process and it's not automatic, but if you're not getting a lot of orders, then it probably won't be too burdensome.
I may go this route since I don't get that many print orders anyway. I'll just use the TTG Cart and when orders come in I can either print them at home (up to a certain size) or order prints through WHCC.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2013-06-13 20:31:13

jherman
Website

Re: Publisher v. FotoMoto

Thanks Rod. www.whcc.com looks like a viable option. I don't usually store high definition images on my site anyway and for each sale I had to provide Fotomoto with appropriate resolution images. Your suggestion adds little in terms of my work flow. The more I think about it, the new option may actually shorten the effort needed.

Occasionally, a bit of upheaval forces us to step back and reexamine the status quo and results in significant improvement. My thanks.

Jim.

User with too little time but coding is therapeutic.

Board footer