Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-06 05:31:51

forbish07

Stage info

I am a complete newb to this and I am having a hard time trying to figure out when/why/how I utilize Stage? I purchased the CE3 Publishing bundle and Stage. I see that I can create a Flip style gallery on my Home page in Pages as well as Stage, so why do I need Stage? Is there a simple workflow doc somewhere that I have not been able to find?

Bascially-
- I assume I do my Pages first and then upload
-Then I create Galleries, Upload
-When do I utilize Stage and how do I implement it?

Sorry, I have been hand coding my sites for years and am completely new to this style of setup. I realize once I figure ot all out it should be easy, but until then. I have read all of the tutorials (1-8) and the easy start docs and such, but I am still lost. Thanks in advance!

#2 2013-06-06 05:44:52

rod barbee
Website

Re: Stage info

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2013-06-06 05:52:35

forbish07

Thank you! But for instance, when I use Stage to create a new Home Flip gallery, why would I do it that way instead of just editing the Pages version of the same Flip Gallery? Also, when I use Stage to make supplemental pages do I simply upload them to the root folder and overwrite any existing (Such as index.php).

Also, when I create a Stage set and export it, do I simply upload the entire contents into my Root folder and let it overwrite anything it may need to?

I guess I am being very vague. I just don't understand where things need to go once I create them. I am sorry, I will get it. Is there any other links you would like to share with me?

#4 2013-06-06 06:13:19

rod barbee
Website

you wouldn't use it for a new Home Flip gallery. You could use it for an additional flip gallery. Like of a recent trip or event.

When you use Stage to make supplemental pages you can place them anywhere you like. You won't overwrite anything like your Pages index page. When you export, Lightroom will create a folder with whatever name you've given it. Inside this folder will be all the assets. If you upload it to the root of your site, the url will be yoursite.com/your-stage-page/.
You can then add it to the navigation menu if you wish.

In case you haven't seen it, Matt's got a Stage demo page here: http://ce3.theturninggate.net/galleries … ce3-stage/
These just illustrate many of the things you can add to your site by using Stage.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2013-06-06 06:19:21

forbish07

Oh, ok. I think I got it. When I purchased it I had though that Stage was how you created that cool Flip Home page and was baffled by the fact that I could make it in Pages as well. So, with Stage, if I were so inclined, I could make EVERY page a flip gallery, not just my home page. So I upload the entire Stage file to the Root and link to it in my nav and not just its contents. Sorry for the newb questions. Now to figure everything else out.

#6 2013-06-06 06:45:38

rod barbee
Website

Upload the entire exported folder. The folder will contain the index.php file among other assets.
When you write the url, you only need to include up to the folder name if you wish, like yoursite.com/stage-page/ . Or you can use the whole url: yoursite.com/stage-page/index.php .

You could make every page a flip gallery. Only problem is that's all there would be. No text or links or any way of contacting you smile

It can take a bit of time to wrap your head around how all the plug-ins fit in with each other. If you haven't already, take a look at Matt's beginner's tutorial.
I've also got a post on my blog that outlines the basics of using TTG plugins. It was written pre-CE3 but the concepts are the same.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2013-06-06 06:56:43

forbish07

Awesome, thanks sir! Yeah, no way would I make all of my galleries Flip style, it was simply a for instance. But I think you got that. You are the man. I will check out your blog as well.

#8 2013-06-06 07:24:47

rod barbee
Website

I suppose you could make every page a flip gallery with each picture a word or a clue.....hmmm hmm

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer