Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-02 22:54:18

kmlucy
Website

Disable Single Image Pages

Hi all,

Is there a way to disable single image pages site-wide? We can link directly to an image in the gallery (ex. https://kylelucy.com/galleries/03-seascapes/#gallery-1), and while I realize that link could change depending on the images in the gallery, I prefer it to the single image pages.

The main reason is that the single image pages don't scale to the device they are used on in the height dimension, so users are left scrolling to see the full photo. I'd rather link to the image in the gallery which scales properly.

Part of disabling single image pages would involve changing the social media sharing icons to use the gallery link rather than the permalink.

Thanks,
Kyle

Kyle Lucy Photography
kylelucy.com

#2 2020-05-03 00:01:10

rod barbee
Website

Re: Disable Single Image Pages

you have access to the single pages via phplugins. While it won't disable the display of the pages, you should be able to use return false; in the single_top hook to prevent the image from showing

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2020-05-03 01:03:44

Daniel Leu
Website

Single image pages are there, among others, for SEO. So I would discourage disabling them.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#4 2020-05-03 01:25:09

kmlucy
Website

Really the problem I am trying to solve is that when anyone uses one of the social links, the resultant single image page doesn't scale the image to the device.

Kyle Lucy Photography
kylelucy.com

#5 2020-05-03 04:38:04

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Single-image pages render images using static HTML and responsive CSS, and scale images on the x-axis, based on screen width. This is exactly the desired behavior. And without the single-image pages, you won't be able to share images to social media at all; without them, sharing the URL for any particular image would not be sharing the image, it would be sharing the gallery.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#6 2020-05-03 06:29:27

kmlucy
Website

Is there a way to also scale on the y-axis? I'd like for the entire image to be visible without scrolling.

And as long as you include the '#gallery-1' part in the link, it opens up the gallery to that image. That's why I thought this could be an option.

Kyle Lucy Photography
kylelucy.com

#7 2020-05-03 06:55:19

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The problem isn't with opening the correct image. The problem is that the preview image for the album is defined -- necessarily so, else there would be no preview image -- and so let's say the representative image for the album is image #1, and you share image #5 to Facebook.

On Facebook, people will see a link to the album and the previewed image will be image #1. The preview's description will be whatever the description for the album, not for the shared image.

So if you share 10 images from the same album, then you will have 10 identical posts on Facebook, all of which open different images.

Feel free to read up on Facebook's Open Graph Protocol if you'd like. Single-image pages exist, in part, so that we can provide image-specific OGP information to social media, so that when you share an image, you're actually sharing THAT image.

And yes, scaling on the y-axis is possible. but that would require a total overhaul.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#8 2020-05-03 07:23:44

kmlucy
Website

Ah, I understand now. I wasn't thinking about the previews or the fact that it would read as a single link shared every time.

I was hoping there might be a simple custom css trick I could use to scale on both axes. Given it would require an overhaul, maybe something to keep in mind for the future, but I understand it's not a priority.

Thanks for helping me out, and great job on Backlight 3!

Kyle Lucy Photography
kylelucy.com

Board footer