Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-01 03:10:50

admint
Website

Major difference between Backlight 2 & 3?

Question?

What is the major difference between Backlight 2 and Backlight 3 that I should spend another $100 dollars (with $35 dollar discount) for this upgrade?

Yes, I'm keenly aware I "don't" have to upgrade.... but if we do what are we gaining over Backlight 2?

This is NOT meant to be adversarial. Thanks.

#2 2020-05-01 03:32:23

rod barbee
Website

Re: Major difference between Backlight 2 & 3?

Take a look at Matt's announcement newsletter and today's blog post.

The design elements are basically the same. There is added functionality for those using Backlight Publisher. More customization options are available to those who code.
Backlight 2 is frozen in development, so any new features will only be in Backlight 3

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2020-05-01 04:25:17

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Also, purchasing Backlight 3 helps to ensure there will be further updates to Backlight 3 over its lifespan, and there will eventually be a Backlight 4.

But if features are what you're interested in, then the headline features are all laid out in the announcement.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2020-05-01 05:40:52

admint
Website

Matthew wrote:

, and there will eventually be a Backlight 4.

No doubt about that one smile

rod barbee wrote:

Take a look at Matt's announcement newsletter and today's blog post.

The design elements are basically the same. There is added functionality for those using Backlight Publisher. More customization options are available to those who code.
Backlight 2 is frozen in development, so any new features will only be in Backlight 3

Thanks for the link. And in fairness, you guys did send an email notice but I seemed to have deleted it. And I promise I normally read and hold on to those notices so the email was deleted in error.

And yeah, I'm not the least bit shocked that Backlight 2 is now "frozen in development".

And to be honest my main issue is the upgrade asking price every 18-24 months. Again, owning the fact that we don't have to upgrade, but still. I think those of us that are willing to upgrade from one version to the very next one should be offered a steeper discount. 

That said, I'll probably upgrade to this version, still.... I think that's a suggestion worth considering.

Thanks guys. And as always, I respect and appreciate the quick replies. It's why I push your product to others looking are asking about a photography website builder. And... you do make a nice product smile

Peace:)

#5 2020-05-01 06:13:34

Matthew
Administrator
Website

admint wrote:

And to be honest my main issue is the upgrade asking price every 18-24 months. Again, owning the fact that we don't have to upgrade, but still. I think those of us that are willing to upgrade from one version to the very next one should be offered a steeper discount.

With this release, we're no longer charging upgrade fees for add-ons. If you only have Backlight 2, that won't impact you much; but for some, that's a very steep discount indeed.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#6 2020-05-01 08:31:34

Ben

We're a small outfit and Backlight requires a large amount of time and effort.  If we priced it at any lower then it wouldn't be worth our time and we likely wouldn't be here talking about Backlight 3.

Board footer