Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-19 07:56:45

chbphoto

Cannot access mysite.com/baclkight

When I tried to get into my backlight account, I typed in mysite.com/backlight -- the result was not the expected Backlight login but it went directly to the home page of my website.

I tried this on both Safari and Firefox with the same result.

I was able to upload a new gallery today as well as to update an existing gallery with no problems.

Is the Backlight server down for maintenance?

Any help appreciated - thanks in advance - CB

#2 2019-11-19 08:38:20

rod barbee
Website

Re: Cannot access mysite.com/baclkight

it's all working fine for me. Can you share a link to your site?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-11-19 09:06:34

chbphoto

Thanks for the quick response.

chbphoto.com

I'm getting the same result on 2 computers.

#4 2019-11-19 09:15:25

rod barbee
Website

did you create the "under construction" page that's appearing when I try to get to https://chbphoto.com/backlight ?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2019-11-19 09:21:29

rod barbee
Website

seems like a .htaccess redirect or something is going on.

anyway, see this suggestion from Ben: http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … 637#p58637

It shouldn't affect your data (all album, album set, page, cart, etc info) but just to be safe, you should probably back all that up anyway.
yoursite/backlight/data

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2019-11-19 10:49:32

chbphoto

Hi Rod - yes, I created that as a landing page when I first started using Backlight.

#7 2019-11-19 12:00:16

chbphoto

I reinstalled Backlight2 - no change. I have emailed the server to see what their opinions.

Thanks again.
CB

#8 2019-11-19 21:13:17

Ben

Please see my email.  For anybody else reading this, this was caused by a newly-introduced bug.  I put in a fix for sites that reside in subdirectories (e.g. http://yoursite.com/siteishere/) and that didn't have URL rewriting enabled (usually non-Apache servers).  That fix broke the automatic redirect to the login page when visiting http://yoursite/backlight/ *for sites that didn't have URL rewriting enabled (usually non-Apache servers)*

I've applied a silent update.  Unfortunately, since the bug stops users being able to reach the login page, the fix won't be able to be applied via the Backlight Modules page.  If anybody else is affected (it would have to be for users on sites that don't have URL rewriting enabled and who have already updated to the latest version before the silent update) then visiting /backlight/installer/ and reinstalling the core system should fix it -- that mechanism is designed to help recover a broken system.

#9 2019-11-19 23:10:44

chbphoto

Thanks Ben - you came through again!

#10 2020-01-10 03:17:09

chbphoto

Hi Ben,

I hope you're not affected by the fires.

Sorry but I'm having another problem updating to the newest release.

When I update, I get this message: The module was not installed: ZipArchive::extractTo(../backlight/modules/module-framework/helpers/URLHelper.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied

Should I do the reinstall option?

#11 2020-01-10 03:32:43

rod barbee
Website

Can you outline what steps you’ve taken?
Are you updating an existing BL2 installation or updating from BK1 to BL2?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2020-01-10 07:10:04

Ben

This is an odd problem.  The updater did not have permission to copy over the new versions of backlight/modules/module-framework/helpers/URLHelper.php and backlight/modules/module-framework/models/Dispatchable.php.
The permissions and ownership for those were the same as all other files, and matched those of the zip files Backlight downloads during the upgrade process.  So there was nothing wrong in terms of permissions and ownership.

I've logged in to FTP using the credentials that you gave me previously, and renamed those two files so that they weren't in the way.  Upgrading was then successful.  That makes me wonder whether your server has a PHP caching mechanism that locks files that are being used.  Those two files are needed for every page load, including the action to upgrade modules, so my renaming of them should actually have broken the upgrade page.  Only some kind of caching would have allowed the page to keep working.

Even more strangely is that clicking Reinstall All under 'Backlight 2' now works without having to rename or remove those two files.  Hopefully this is a one-off and won't come up again in future upgrades.

#13 2020-01-10 22:39:48

chbphoto

Thank you Ben and Rod. I'll check with the server to see what Daniel says about the caching.

#14 2020-01-11 06:22:04

Ben

It could be Zend OPCache that's both caused the files to be locked while also allowed them to run after renaming (effectively removing) those files.  That's a level of optimisation that your server is running, and it's a good thing.  I don't have stats, but would guess that a lot of sites are using it.  It's hopefully just a one-off scenario.  I don't recommend disabling it, unless as part of a debugging process if this happens again.

Board footer