Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-06 02:40:19

DennisKeyes

Creating new site inside old site considerations

I am creating my new site inside a very old TTG site. I wanted my old site to remain visible while creating so I was advised to  create my new site within the /public folder in a subfolder identified as /backlight-2-test.  Will this become a big problem for me when I delete the old site and go live with the new site which will utilize the old site name?
Several questions come to mind.

When the time comes to go live with the new site should I delete everything in the public folder except backlight-2-test?  Should I keep other files or folders besides /public?  Should I then delete EVERYTHING in the backlight-2-test folder except /backlight, /index, and /htaccess?  There are a TON of files that came from somewhere.  I didn't upload them but they may have been generated by the site itself.

I am inserting a lot of single images into page copy.  The code to do that has the path to the images.  I placed the images in the /custom folder in a subfolder I created called /img.  When I go live, will I need to go back into each page copy and change the path for each image? Seems like a lot of work which I could avoid by killing my old site now and making this one live even though it is far from finished.  Am I thinking straight? Any advice to make my future a little easier?

#2 2019-04-06 03:01:09

rod barbee
Website

Re: Creating new site inside old site considerations

no it won't be problem. You'll just need to move your test site from /backlight-2-test/ to the root of your site.

when it comes time to move, if you've been using CE4 Publisher and you want to hand off CE4 albums to Backlight, then don't delete the ttg-be folder.
if you have a blog folder, don't delete that.

I am inserting a lot of single images into page copy.  The code to do that has the path to the images.  I placed the images in the /custom folder in a subfolder I created called /img.  When I go live, will I need to go back into each page copy and change the path for each image? Seems like a lot of work which I could avoid by killing my old site now and making this one live even though it is far from finished.  Am I thinking straight? Any advice to make my future a little easier?

If the path to those images includes /backlight-2-test/ then you'll need to edit all of those to remove "backlight-2-test" so that the new path is /backlight/custom/img/your-image.jpg.

If, however, you've got your test site in a sub-domain instead of a sub-folder, you can set your image paths to /backlight/custom/img/your-image.jpg and when you move the site you won't need to change anything.

Here's more on moving a development site to a production site: https://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto … tion-site/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-04-06 22:30:07

DennisKeyes

I have the new site in a sub folder, not a subdomain.  I don't know enough to be able to do that.  If I still have a long way to go in building my site would it be wise to go to a subdomain now?

#4 2019-04-06 22:47:19

rod barbee
Website

The important difference for you is in any links you use, like for inline images.
A subdomain will act like a main site so your URLs won’t contain the subfolder, as in yoursite.com/test-site/backlight/custom/img/....
Instead you could just use /backlight/custom/img...

But at this point, if you moved to a subdomain you’d need to change all those URLs anyway. But if you plan on inserting many more inline images, it might be worth it to move it all into a subdomain. Plus moving it would be good practice for when you make the final move to the main site.

To create a subdomain, log into your Cpanel at your hosting account. Look around for Domains or Subdomains. Creating one should be straightforward.

It will add a new subfolder in the public_html folder on your site and will appear as just another subfolder. But it’s treated differently in that when you view it online, the url to the site in the subdomain will be subdomain-name.your-site.com and any URLs you write that start with a forward slash will originate in the subdomain rather than your main domain.
This way, you can write all those inline image references as /backlight/custom/img... and when you move to the main site you won’t have to change a thing.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2019-04-08 01:01:04

DennisKeyes

Thank you for that.  I guess building the site in a subdomain would have been a better option right from the start.  This old dog still can learn new tricks.  But by the time I learn them, they are already old!

Board footer