Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-16 03:00:54

mjenich

Galleria settings question

I'm designing a new album using Galleria and have a few questions. I'm in BL2 Album Settings.
1. How can I see what effect changes I made are having? I've had some success by making a change, then clicking the save button in the upper right corner, then going to my site and getting out of the gallery, then going back into the Gallery. That success is only while in Album Copy. Is there a better way to see the changes?

2. My vertical images are cut off on the top when I check them on my site. Horizontal are OK. I assume I have to resize them but don't know where. Ideas?

[Split to own topic by moderator]

#2 2019-01-16 03:10:14

rod barbee
Website

Re: Galleria settings question

1. With Galleria you sometimes (more often than not, it seems) will need to clear template cache before seeing changes.

2. Check the image crop settings

resize images just like in any album, under Image Renditions. Then republish the images

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-01-16 04:10:55

mjenich

The image crop setting did it. It was on. I turned it off.

#4 2019-01-16 04:27:46

mjenich

1. I like the look of my galleries. Is there a way to make my home page look like my galleries page? If not....

2. How can I make changes on my home page? I'm in "Design template" under "Page Templates" in my "standard Page" which is my "default template". I use the same workflow i.e. clear cache, make a change, and save it. I have my website up on a second monitor and I never see any changes. Also,
3. Is there an easy way to navigate during the design process? I'm constantly going in and out of a variety of pages. It's seems too cumbersome.

#5 2019-01-16 04:44:29

rod barbee
Website

1. what exactly do you mean. Usually, just use the same page template

2. What kind of changes are you talking about? Design or text or inserted album?

3. Open multiple browser tabs?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2019-01-17 01:00:39

mjenich

Sorry for not being more clear.

I'm trying to make changes on my home page. When I first go to my home page at www.martinjenichphotography.com I get the name of my company across the top and the menus but it's white below. Ideally i'd like a slideshow on my home page. At the same time I like the way my galleries look and function. I would be OK with having my home page look like my galleries. I'm using Galleria for my galleries which I just purchased. Back to my home page.

I haven't been able to figure out how to  make changes to my home page. I've tried to change simple things such as the font or colors just to get a feel for a work flow that would allow me to make other changes. I use the same design methods as I use with Galleria and I don't see changes on my site. I've been clearing the cache a lot.

1. Can I make my home page look like my galleries? If not,

2. Is the design process different for the home page as from that of galleries? I can't image it would be but as I stated, I can't affect changes on my home pages when using the same methods as galleries.

3. This is a totally unrelated question. Is Fotomoto not supported in Galleria? I use Fotomoto. I noticed that I have to find the "Add On" section and make sure Fotomoto is selected. I can find "Add On" on the Standard Album Template" but there's no such option in Galleria. 

Hope that's more clear.

#7 2019-01-17 01:09:29

rod barbee
Website

Your home page, Galleries, About, and Contact pages are using the same page template.

The ablum template for your album pages are using a different page template. If you want your Home, Galleries, About, and Contact pages to look the same as your Galleria albums, then assign the same page template to those pages as you've assigned to your album template.

Fotomoto is only available in the standard album

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2019-01-17 04:26:06

mjenich

You stated, "The ablum template for your album pages are using a different page template. If you want your Home, Galleries, About, and Contact pages to look the same as your Galleria albums, then assign the same page template to those pages as you've assigned to your album template.".

1. How do I assign the same page template to those pages as I've assigned my album template? 

Here's what I tried: In BL2 Admin going to the template page and under "Page Templates" I developed a new Pangolin Page. I went to the menu line and then went to the drop down with "default"  and an arrow in it, I did not get me the option to make it the default template. Making it the default template would make it the home page. I reasoned that would result in the main page looking like my gallery pages. Of course, that did not work.

I also tried cloning the album template "Pangolin Galleria"..."BWRAO" and pasting the clone in the New  template in Page Templates and of course that didn't work either.

#9 2019-01-17 04:55:45

rod barbee
Website

You've assigned that BWARAO page template to the Galleria album template. Just assign the same page template to your pages and the album set template you're using for your Galleries page.
Everything in Backlight is based upon the page template, that's what gives your site its look.

in Designer > Pages. Click on Design for any page.

backlight-pages.jpg

Near the top is where you can assign the page template.

assign-template-page.jpg

Do something similar for the album set template. On the Templates page, click on Design for your album set. Choose the page template.

Making it the default template would make it the home page.

The default template is not the home page. It's simply the default page template used when creating new pages, album templates, and album set templates.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2019-01-22 04:07:24

mjenich

Got it. I was in the wrong area. I went to Designer>Templates >page templates>design. Of course that didn't work. I found the correct one under Designer>Pages.

BTW-What's the difference between the two. As far as I can tell, the first way that I tried allows more specificity in the changes that can be made.  is there an easy way to explain the differences?

#11 2019-01-22 04:15:41

rod barbee
Website

Designer > Templates > Page Templates creates the design of your site. You'll then assign the page template you create to album set templates and album templates as well as to stand alone pages.

Designer > Pages creates pages. Here is where you assign a page template to the page and add things like text or insert an album, album set, or contact for.

more here: http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … templates/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer