Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-25 02:08:42

PaulQM

Meta data missing from thumbnails

Hi for some reason that I cannot figure the metadata on the thumbnails has stopped appearing when publishing new albums, I have tried changing the tokens in album settings, thumbnail grid but no joy.

Any help would be appreciated.

P…

#2 2018-10-25 02:14:15

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Meta data missing from thumbnails

A link to the album would help.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2018-10-25 02:23:33

PaulQM

#4 2018-10-25 02:32:15

rod barbee
Website

No metadata is appearing in the page source. Double check your template to make sure that metadata is included. Double check that you're using the correct album template. (you're currently using album-template-id-10)
Then republish the album.

If those steps don't resolve the problem, consider posting Guest Updater credentials so someone can take a closer look.
http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=8122

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2018-10-25 03:33:34

PaulQM

I hadn’t been logged in for a wee while but when I posted this album-
http://truecolourphotography.co.uk/gall … he-family/

on Saturday I noted no Metadata, this happened again tonight when I was testing out the client feedback that I just plugged-in.  The reason I’m so confused is that I haven’t changed anything since uploading albums elsewhere. I had however applied the latest updates through Backlight Modules, before the uploads.

Metadata one and two is turned on, one was for ‘Title’ two was for ‘captions’.
In all my albums the file name showed up in the captions area as I do not have these areas filled in on any images. I have changed metadata one to title which is showing up now after republishing a test album?
http://truecolourphotography.co.uk/gall … /the-prom/

I am reluctant to have to republish several gig of albums at this time to change this.
I also feel there may have been a change in the latest updates that have changed the information posted in the thumbnails metadata, can anyone confirm?

#6 2018-10-25 03:39:58

Daniel Leu
Website

PaulQM wrote:

I am reluctant to have to republish several gig of albums at this time to change this.

You don't have to republish all images. There is an option for publisher to update metadata only. Then it is really quick.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#7 2018-10-25 03:52:22

PaulQM

I recall seeing this option a while back, but I can’t seem to find it now, where would it be?

#8 2018-10-25 05:17:56

rod barbee
Website

It's in the Lightroom Publisher setting. Just double click on the Publisher instance in Lightroom to get to the settings.
publisher-instance.jpg

push-metadata.jpg

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2018-10-25 05:21:16

rod barbee
Website

PaulQM wrote:

I also feel there may have been a change in the latest updates that have changed the information posted in the thumbnails metadata, can anyone confirm?

If I remember, this happened to me when initially making the move to Backlight. Simply republishing the albums (metadata only) took care of it.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2018-10-25 05:36:41

PaulQM

Tried it it’s not working and I’m not willing to republish all my albums, what I need to know is what has happened in the latest updates to cause this problem? And when is it going to be fixed?

If MS Office updated their software and asked you to update all your office files would you find this acceptable?

Now I’m unhappy with several thing in regard to this payed for update called Backlight 2 to which I am now willing to air at a later date on this forum in a full formal open complaint, but what I require now is, as I have asked above, what went wrong with the last update and when is it going to be fixed.
Yours
Paul Q Morrison

#11 2018-10-25 05:43:03

rod barbee
Website

This may be a stupid question, but after unchecking that box did you mark all the images for republishing?

I don't think there actuallyis a problem. No one else has reported this.

And I think the problem I had was an outlier because it didn't show up much, if at all, on the forum.

And before start lodging complaints, how about letting us help you further? It's easy enough for one of the developers or one of us volunteer moderators to log in to your installation of Backlight to take a look. All you need to do is supply Guest Updater credentials.

Sometimes the problem is something as simple as metadata tokens being misspelled

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2018-10-25 06:06:06

PaulQM

Rob with all respects to yourself,

Can you or the developers please look into this as I am 100% sure that the problem is not on my side as I have not changed any settings other than your updates before this problem occurred.

No, access will not be given.

Yes I did mark to republish.

Also, when you have to go through over 600 albums and nearly 2 and a half terabytes of images it does start to get on your nerves.

#13 2018-10-25 06:18:38

rod barbee
Website

Well, I've done all I can. I can't look into it as I'm not one of the developers. Further, I can't replicate the problem on my own test sites. And if I or one of the developers can't replicate a problem, then it's really hard to fix. One way to start replicating problems is by seeing your settings.

You should really let someone take a look. You don't have to post credentials here, you can do it via email. Like I said, it's sometimes as simple as a misspelling or the wrong template being used.

Rod

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2018-10-25 06:57:13

PaulQM

Please send me the Emil link and I will give access.

P…

#15 2018-10-25 07:03:24

rod barbee
Website

the email link is under my name and picture in all my posts

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#16 2018-10-25 07:57:13

PaulQM

As said I’m not a beta tester its bed time in my country,  goodnight.

#17 2018-10-25 08:31:17

rod barbee
Website

never thought you should be.

The metadata display has been working in Backlight 2. So far,  when people are having trouble with metadata not showing up it is when they aren't actually using the album template that they've been making the changes to, when republishing hasn't happened after making metadata changes, when metadata text is set to the same color as the background, or when metadata tokens are misspelled. In this case, it's not the color of the text.

If you send me an email with Guest Updater credentials I'll try to take a look and I could eliminate two of those possibilities. This is a two way street, we can't read minds and we can't see what you're doing unless you let us in.

I do have to leave in the morning for a four day workshop but I'll most likely have some time to poke around.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#18 2018-10-28 06:46:38

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The metadata for the one-image album you've linked to is configured to display the Filename and image Caption on the thumbnail. The filename is correctly displaying, and the image has no caption.

There's no problem here, in that the page is displaying exactly the metadata it has been configured for. If you want to display other metadata, then change the template config and republish your image.

And maybe learn to use the software before you start complaining that it doesn't work. Because it totally does work, and totally IS working in your example.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#19 2018-10-28 22:20:53

PaulQM

Hi Mathew,

I have not had a lot of time to look into the problem but I have noted that it was the metadata tags that had changed, and as previously stated I had not changed them recently before this occurred but having just applied newly released updates just before the problem occurred it would suggest to me that it may have been that update that caused the problem, it may not have been I for sure do not and probably will never know for sure.

As per your comment that I should ‘learn to use the software before you start complaining that it doesn't work’:

As you maybe aware this is the forth incarnation of this software that I have purchased and I certainly did not say that it does not work, I merely found a problem and looked to get it sorted. Yes I am unhappy with having to republish albums nearly every time a bug is found or a problem occurs and I have no real problem with this within reason.

But on the subject of bugs in the software you are certainly aware that you release software while it is still extremely buggy and rely on your customers to help find these bugs. This incarnation may be slightly less buggy when released compared to previous versions but in my opinion there are generally too many bugs in the system when released, I helped with this extensively in your CE4 version and a little less so in backlight 1 as I deliberately waited until most of the bugs had been removed before updating. I did not wait for the bugs to be removed on the release of Backlight 2 but perhaps I should have and my frustrations may have been lessened.

As you may understand when you have a limited time to complete a task and you come across a problem such as I had it can be extremely frustrating particularly when you have no idea what is causing it, but I can say that I am extremely disappointed in your final comments above, if you cannot accept a genuine complaint from a customer whether that customer is right or wrong and have to resort to derogatory comments about their abilities I think it may be time you looked at something new.

I am now considering this matter closed. I have aired my opinion as a long standing paying customer and have received your view of this in your reply above. I have purchased this version of your software and I will use it but I can assure you this is one returning customer that you have lost and I will certainly not be recommending your product anymore.

Yours

Paul Q Morrison

#20 2018-10-28 22:28:03

rod barbee
Website

This probably could have been resolved very quickly if you had chosen to share Backlight login credentials.

The offer to help still stands, but it's up to you to participate in resolving any issues. I think it's unfair to say that the software is buggy without giving anyone a chance to look into it.

Matt, Ben, or any of those of us volunteering on this forum can't help if you don't help us to help you.

I've suggested and asked (more than once) that you share login information. You chose not to.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#21 2018-10-28 23:57:00

PaulQM

Hi rob,

Just to clarify I have said the software when released has bugs that I feel should not be there. And as you are aware this usually takes several weeks of customer feedback to find and resolve. This is my opinion based of many years use. I also think the software is fantastic once any issues at the start are resolved.

I also see no need for access now as I know it was the metadata tags that changed and as said I only suspect why, I don’t know for sure. If there is no reason for it to have happened with the update something has gone wrong at my end I just don’t know.

Just to add, I won’t be reporting any other issues that I may come across as I can really do without the stress.

Thanks for your time.

Yours

Paul Q Morrison

#22 2018-10-29 05:17:12

Matthew
Administrator
Website

All software has bugs. Lightroom is full of them, and many of those bugs have been in the software and have gone unfixed for years on end. And that's Adobe, with loads of funding and countless engineers around the world. We're two guys building software out of our homes.

And we have a solid track record of fixing bugs in a timely fashion when we find them. And one of the big wins in Backlight 2 is the automated update system, which allows us to fix bugs and roll out fixes more quickly than ever before, while making it dead simple for customers to update with released changes.

We provide this forum as a venue to assist our customers, and provide a direct line of communication between those using of the software, and those building it. Also something you don't get from Adobe. So, what I do not appreciate is someone coming in here with an attitude, being entirely uncooperative with the support process, and implying that we're releasing half-baked software, which is an entirely false and disrespectful statement.

If you come in here for help, we'll help you. If you find a bug, we'll fix it. But if you come in here and you're rude to our team, or to our community members, then I frankly do not care whether you continue to buy into our product.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#23 2018-10-29 16:40:42

PaulQM

Very professional…

Now, that I have time to answer properly the other allegations you have leveed against me.

I have never said your software is half baked.
I have not been rude in any manor to your staff.
And I have not been uncooperative.

All the answers to these questions if anyone would like to see are in the questions and answers above.

But I invite you to further explain your allegations against me? I can certainly backup anything I have said.

It is very evident that you are incapable of dealing with any form of criticism. But if you really wish to enter a pissing contest I am willing to go back through the forums and software updates and show exactly why I have said what I have.

Yours

Paul Q Morrison

Last edited by PaulQM (2018-10-30 05:47:14)

Board footer