Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-04 05:16:56

peter

Modifying a gallery -do I need to re-publish the whole thing?

I delete some photos, say, A37, A38 from a 'sort by file name' gallery and 'Publish' to remove them from on-line.
Now I add photos called A37-1 and A38-1 and they appear in LR correctly.
They do not appear in the online gallery, after I have selected those two and then 'republish' from the right click menu.
Why?
Do I have to re-publish all 500 photos??
There has to be something that's not obvious that I'm missing...

So the new images end up at the end of the gallery online, even though they show in LR publisher in the correct position.

(They are imported with the same file name because I want them to replace the same photos.)

Since the name of the files end with a -1 & -2, I get it. But why are they showing up in Publisher between A36 & A39?
This is an inconsistency between what you see & what you get.

The only way to fix this is to rename the files differently and hope that, even though LR shows one thing, you end up with the gallery being correct.

Last edited by peter (2018-08-04 05:55:42)

#2 2018-08-04 05:51:28

rod barbee
Website

Re: Modifying a gallery -do I need to re-publish the whole thing?

Have tried clearing browser cache?
Did you click on the Publish button?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2018-08-04 06:11:09

peter

yes
yes

I know this has been discussed before, but we cannot put unique files names to all our images.
The problem with using the same names during export as other exports, is not a problem for us, until we have to modify a gallery, which happens now and then, but I usually delete the entire gallery and re-import and publish. However, with large galleries, this is not ideal.
To have unique names for each image, by using the date & time in the file name, for eg. still is presents the same problem when replacing only a few images in an already published gallery - the '-1' that is appended on import to LR, puts those images at the end of the online gallery (but appears DIFFERENTLY in publisher).
Maybe the problem is with Publisher, as it thinks the -1 appended images are sorted as if the -1 is not there.

#4 2018-08-04 06:14:46

peter

let me try cache clear - I didn't do that

#5 2018-08-04 06:21:28

peter

I noticed that some images are appearing in order, despite the - number...
Still trying to figure this mess out

#6 2018-08-04 06:48:17

peter

Nope - the only way to get them back in order is to delete the entire gallery and start again.
To change a single image in a gallery of 500, that's what I have to do.

#7 2018-08-04 08:11:53

rod barbee
Website

are you renaming using the sequential numbering option? If so, that's known to be buggy and won't work for you.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2018-08-04 10:08:29

peter

My wife outputs from LR onto a network drive and I import them onto my LR.
Is that an option for outputting from a catalog in LR?
But, I've not had an issue with the initial output.

LR will append a -number if I import into the same directory, and I'm ok with that since my pc is only for generating galleries.
Her imports are are always put into unique directories, and she will output to a unique directory.

That gallery was re-imported (to a unique directory this time) and since there are no more changes, it's now published (correctly).

I'll figure this out the next time I have this scenario

Thanks!

#9 2018-08-05 05:33:05

Matthew
Administrator
Website

You should never need to re-publish the entire gallery. If items are out-of-order, you might need to move an item, mark it to be re-published, and then do the publish to force an update of ordering.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#10 2018-08-08 06:50:54

peter

I will refer to this next time I have this situation
Thanks

#11 2018-08-08 07:03:08

peter

This is related...
I cannot change the order in which the images are displayed without re-publishing.

I just created a gallery and in LR Publisher, the files were sorted by "Capture Time"
The Gallery was published.
Now I need to change the order to "File Name'.

I change this in Publisher, and I see the order has changed. The 'Publish' button is still greyed out.
How do I update the Gallery without re-publishing (specifically uploading all the photos again) to make this change?

Thanks

Edit:

So here is what I found.
IF I choose a selection from the 'Photo Order' other than 'Managed by LR', the Gallery is updated to match.
The setting from the Library window in LR Publisher only seems to work the first time you publish an album.
Want to change the order? DON'T use the sort option here, go to the 'Edit Album' screen.

LR is one messed up program at times...

Edit:

And more problems!!
That option to sort will put xxx-10 BEFORE xxx-2. My wife exports in LR and LR will auto number this way. The only way to get the sort done properly is to re-publish after changing the 'Sort:' to File Name in the Library.

Really messed up...

Edit:
Just re-publishing does not fix the numbering problem. The whole TTG Publisher gallery has to be deleted and re-done.
That is the only way I could get xxx-2 to follow xxx-1. I flushed the browser cache, but that still didn't solve the problem.
It is now ok, but, what a pain!.

Last edited by peter (2018-08-08 07:37:43)

#12 2018-08-08 07:34:27

rod barbee
Website

xxx-10 will come before xxx-2. If you don't want it to, you need to use tw0 pr more digits: xxx-10, xxx-02 (if you don't have more than 99 images in the album) or xxx-010, xxx-002 if you don't have more than 999 images.

I don't use the sort order options, but every time I want to change the order (manual order) I make the change in Lightroom and then right click on one of the images and mark it for republishing.
Make sure Publisher settings are using the "Push metadata without updating existing photos" option.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2018-08-08 08:05:43

peter

rod barbee wrote:

xxx-10 will come before xxx-2. If you don't want it to, you need to use tw0 pr more digits: xxx-10, xxx-02 (if you don't have more than 99 images in the album) or xxx-010, xxx-002 if you don't have more than 999 images.

I don't use the sort order options, but every time I want to change the order (manual order) I make the change in Lightroom and then right click on one of the images and mark it for republishing.
Make sure Publisher settings are using the "Push metadata without updating existing photos" option.

LR export doesn't number using -001, -002 etc. Even if you put the start number as 001, it still starts at 1.
I would have to use a third party rename program to do that.

My methods above did not have "Push metadata without updating existing photos" option checked, so not sure if that would have made a difference.
I am typically doing 50+ galleries a year, so I will see what happens the next time I have to publish, then make a change.

Board footer