Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-28 15:14:49

bbell

Can I do this in Backlight Client Response? Or....

I have a little experience with CE products from a long time ago and I helped my son set up a Backlight site a couple of yeas ago. But I have a very special need at the moment.

I am in the process of digitizing a thousand or more glass plates my grandfather took in the early 1900's. It is a fun project, however even the babies in these negatives are long deceased. I need to create a site that will allow all our family members to weigh in and collaborate on what the picture is, and identify the people and share their ideas like; "Oh, Yeah, I remember dad telling me about the circus monkey and all the jones kids came over". There were 8 children. Bottom line I need a crowd sourcing site to identify photos within the family.  I'm giving this a high priority because some of the grandchildren have already passed and others are well in their 80's.  Need I say Time is running out.

So can Backlight do this for me out of the box? C,ould it do so with modification? Or should I be looking at another solution for the collaborative piece. I like Backlight and what Mathew has done so it will be my galleries and main engine. But I need a solution.

Thank You,

Bruce Bell

#2 2018-02-28 20:38:35

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Can I do this in Backlight Client Response? Or....

Hi Bruce,

The client response add-on will allow visitors to submit comments to your email. If you're looking for something more collaborative, like comments threads, though, Backlight does not have it.

I don't know whether you might find some use for the custom options, maybe set them up with family tree surnames or something ...

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2018-03-01 02:28:29

bbell

Thank you for the direct answer Matthew. Yes, hoping for a simple interface where anyone could edit or add to a comment field. I turned here first because I like how clean Backlight is to the eye. I'm dealing with a bunch of 70-80+ year olds so everything needs to be/look simple or they won't use it. I may have to open my wallet  for a custom solution.  I still plan on using Backlight for all my galleries and blog.

again, thank you
Bruce

suggestions from others are welcome. :-)

#4 2018-03-01 03:14:24

rod barbee
Website

If you want the ability for visitors to comment on images, and have those comments show on the page, you might take a look at using WordPress. I'm pretty sure most gallery plug-ins allow comments on images.
I'm using the Backlight WordPress theme on my test site. By default, when you click on an image in a gallery, it's displayed on it's own page, complete with a comment field:

Take a look here: http://pangolin.barbeephoto.com/blog/image-gallery/
(pay no attention to image sizes, this is just a test post with small images)

The downside is that the galleries in a WordPress site can't be controlled by the TTG Publisher. There is a third-party plug-in that can sync Lightroom to WordPress however: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wplr-sync/

So a combination of a standard WordPress gallery and that plug-in, may just do the trick.

And if you're using Backlight for the rest of your site, you can use the WordPress add-on to create a theme to match the styling of the rest of your site.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2018-03-01 04:40:52

bbell

Rod, That's almost, or may be, exactly what I want. Hopefully the comments can be visible to all visitors. Also, I don't want them to have to enter their name and email each time. I'd like that to be picked up from their login credentials. Are those two things doable with WordPress?  Those are the only concerns I have with your suggestion. It meets my "clean to the eye" requirement. And so does your art. I really enjoyed clicking through your images. I'm partial to the one on which I commented.

Bruce

#6 2018-03-01 04:48:10

rod barbee
Website

You can do pretty much whatever you want with WordPress. You can assign users and require that they be logged in to post comments.
Or you can set it up so that their first comment on the site needs approval but after that it doesn’t.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2018-03-01 06:09:32

bbell

Looks like I have my solution. I don't mind the third party plugin. Once a photo has been identified I will send it to a Backlight gallery.

Rod I can't imagine you having "way too much time on his hands" with all the help you provide on this site.

Thank you,

Bruce
Very Satisfied :-)

#8 2018-03-01 06:15:32

rod barbee
Website

It's because I have way too much time in my hands that I spend so much time here. Either that or I'm procrastinating and really, really, really should be doing something more productive wink

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer