Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-30 16:08:51

admint
Website

Work on site offline

Hey guys, I'm looking to do some major changes to my site and am wondering how to do so offline - i.e. makes changes and review before going live. I'm sure (hope) it can be done, I'm just not clear on how and what's needed.

And yes, this is the latest version of Backlight.

Thanks.

#2 2018-01-30 18:55:52

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Work on site offline

You can setup on MAMP, then move things over to your live server when ready. After doing so, you may still have to make adjustments. Obviously, you'd need to update the site URL in Backlight's settings, but we've also seen people having to re-upload masthead images and the like to Backlight; not quite sure why this is.

Also, probably best to minimize publishing from Lightroom while developing locally, then un-publish albums before moving; publish your final albums directly to the live site, rather than trying to move them from a local development environment.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2018-01-30 23:26:40

admint
Website

OK. sorry but.... what's MAMP? How-to link?

Thanks.

#4 2018-01-31 01:01:27

rod barbee
Website

MAMP : https://www.mamp.info/en/

WAMP for Windows: http://www.wampserver.com/en/

they each create a virtual server so that you can run php based web sites on a local machine.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of installing (and sometimes configuring) these, you can always create a development site on your existing server in a sub-domain or a sub-folder. Doing that also has the advantage of being accessible online in case you need help. If your site is on your local machine there's not much we can do to offer assistance.

using a sub-domain is my preferred way. I used to use WAMP to design my old CEx-based sites because of the time involved in exporting and then uploading to the server. But since Backlight is so much easier and faster to use, I do it all in sub-domains on the server.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2018-01-31 16:47:55

admint
Website

Thanks Rod. I'll have a look at WAMP and go from there.

Thanks.

#6 2018-02-02 07:12:31

speacock110

Dont know if this will help.
I have both my sites (one is a sub-domain) as separate sites on my laptop. Running independently and in full in separate virtual domains. Both have backlight installed.
They each also have separate Lightroom Catalogues, so separate publisher configs. I always publish locally, this enables me to add images when I am away etc.  But it does mean I always have a fully function website of my own locally.
I then use a sync program, in my case Goodsync, to sync each domain folder on my host (a backup sync)
The only trick I found was to use a local url. Then when the upload is complete, immediately logon to the remote site and change the site URL in settings and clear the template cache.
May sound complicated but once setup and the workflow are in place it is no problem. It also allows me to experiment without worrying about the live site. Just make sure you have backups of the local and remote site so reversion to a previous state is possible.
As I use CRG I had to do a little extra by adding some exclusions for the CRG db.
I have tried other methods i.e. changing publisher URLs but had confusion problems.

Board footer