Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-15 02:03:50

deanjm

Home, About and Contact pages have disappeared

For some reason the Home, About and Contact Pages are no longer being generated, so when I click on those menu links I get a 404 error

My test site is http://freshphoto.co.uk/new/

user: guest
password:guest

#2 2017-11-15 02:10:45

rod barbee
Website

Re: Home, About and Contact pages have disappeared

same with your home page. http://freshphoto.co.uk/new/home/

check your Page URL Format in Settings under Website Settings
With the urls that your nav menu is trying to connect to, it looks like the Page URL setting should be about/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-11-15 02:13:28

rod barbee
Website

also, have you installed the index.php and .htaccess files from the Pages download to the root of the test site (http://freshphoto.co.uk/new/)?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#4 2017-11-15 02:34:07

deanjm

Hi Rod thanks for the fast reply. The Page URL format is set to about/ also the index.php and .htaccess files are present. Everything had been working fine.

The only thing that I can think of that I did that may have caused this change was to upload a new gallery called "compare" from a Publish Service whose Top-level galleries directory was set as "/".

After uploading this new gallery, the home page showed an Album Set with a single gallery called "compare". This wasn't what I had intended so I then deleted the "compare" Publish Service from within Lightroom and the remaining "compare" folder on my server using an FTP client.

It would seam that when I created that gallery initially it may have caused a conflict in Backlight somehow.

Last edited by deanjm (2017-11-15 02:39:40)

#5 2017-11-15 02:39:38

charlie.choc
Website

I wonder if uploading that album to the 'root' replaces the .htaccess file?

#6 2017-11-15 02:42:31

rod barbee
Website

your top-level gallery needs to be a folder at the same server level as the backlight/ folder. In this case, it should be in the galleries/ folder.
And deleting via FTP means the database probably thinks the album is still there.

publishing to the root may have cause the problem. Since the test site doesn't have a lot in there yet, you might be better off just starting from scratch. Be sure to export your page, album, and album set templates first though. Then just import them after you've started over. This will save you having to redesign everything.

You can export your templates by going to the Designer > Templates and clicking on the name of a template. Choose the Export Template option and save to your hard drive.
To Import templates, in Backlight, hover over Designer > Templates > click on Import Template

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2017-11-15 09:48:26

Matthew
Administrator
Website

charlie.choc wrote:

I wonder if uploading that album to the 'root' replaces the .htaccess file?

Yeah, pretty much that. And I think the index.php file as well.

You should NEVER setup your root location as a top-level gallery. Amongst all the reasons, your root should not be generally writeable. Honestly, I'm not even sure how you managed to do that. Ben has built Backlight's publisher in ways to discourage publishing to the site root.

Galleries should ALWAYS be published into a folder. By default, this is /galleries. You can change that to whatever you'd like, but NOT your site root.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#8 2017-11-16 01:32:14

deanjm

Thanks for all of your help. The gallery I had created was intended to be separate from my other ones and was linked to directly from a button on the menu. I didn't want it included in my galleries, although I realise I could have put it there and just opted to hide it from the Album Set. So, I set up a separate Publisher service for it and entered "/" as the location of its top level gallery, thinking it would create a folder called "compare" with the gallery in it. Well you live and learn.

I had actually reached a point where I was ready to replace my existing website. When I do come to do that is it possible to move the galleries and Backlight folder etc. to the root of my website and then amend the location settings accordingly, or do I need to start from scratch all be it using the templates I have already created?

#9 2017-11-16 02:15:33

rod barbee
Website

deanjm wrote:

I had actually reached a point where I was ready to replace my existing website. When I do come to do that is it possible to move the galleries and Backlight folder etc. to the root of my website and then amend the location settings accordingly, or do I need to start from scratch all be it using the templates I have already created?

This is one of the great things about Backlight. You can do nearly exactly as you've outlined. I say nearly because I don't know what you plan to do with your existing site.
Are you planning on completely replacing what you already have? If so, I'd empty the root of your site of all the old pages before putting the backlight/ and galleries/ folder along with the index.php and .htaccess files in the root.

And instead of moving those things. I'd recommend downloading them to your computer and then re-uploading to the root. This leaves your test site intact (as a backup) in case something goes wrong. It also leaves your test site operating in case you want to use it for testing. Up to you though.

I think that copying over the entire galleries/ folder should work, though if you've created a lot of albums, it will take a bit of time.

Once you've uploaded all the new stuff you'll need to log in to Backlight and change the Site URL, etc. And you'll need to change the API url in the Lightroom Publisher plug in.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer