Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-04 02:55:11

charlie.choc
Website

Small curiousity

I have noticed that when I am logged in to Backlight one of my menu items only shows up when I am in my blog, it's not there on the rest of my pages. When I logout of backlight it is there on all of them.

It's an album set of some videos (which are each albums). I have the 'hide from album set' radio button checked on the video album set since I don't want it to show up with my other galleries.

This is not a problem for users that are not logged in to Backlight and it seems to work just fine, I was just curious if this was a bug or something I have configured wrong.

Thanks.

#2 2017-07-04 04:18:41

rod barbee
Website

Re: Small curiousity

Are you saying the Videos menu item is NOT supposed to be showing up?
I'm seeing it on your regular Backlight pages and the blog page.

The Videos set does not appear on your Galleries page.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-07-04 04:24:14

charlie.choc
Website

That's what is supposed to happen.

However, when I log into Backlight as admin I only see the videos menu item on my blog, it is missing from the other pages. When I logout of Backlight it shows back up.

#4 2017-07-04 04:34:37

rod barbee
Website

weird. I just tested this. I made a menu item for an album set I have. It showed up in the menu as expected.
I then hid the album set.
When logged into Backlight, I see the album set on the Galleries page with the little hidden eye icon, as expected. But the new menu item disappears from the menu, which seems logical.

When I view the site from another browser (not logged in to Backlight), the album set is hidden from the Galleries page as expected but the album set menu item now appears.

Looks like something for Matt to look into. But at least I can confirm the behavior you're seeing.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2017-07-04 04:38:02

charlie.choc
Website

Thanks, I'm just happy I'm not totally crazy. I've been clearing caches and restarting browsers all morning. ;-)

#6 2017-07-04 08:15:28

Matthew
Administrator
Website

How do you reproduce this? What are the menu settings?

I just tried to replicate it, but I'm not seeing issue. The menu is behaving as expected.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#7 2017-07-04 08:54:03

charlie.choc
Website

I have a video menu item that is an album set with hidden from album set checked. It works fine until I log into Backlight and then it disappears. If I log out of backlight it shows back up.

#8 2017-07-04 08:58:00

rod barbee
Website

I created a new main menu item called "Set 1". It's at the end of my navigation menu. You can see it here
http://pangolin.barbeephoto.com

My menu settings are:
Link To: Album Set
Set is: Album Set 1

It's hidden from the Galleries page album set AND from the Galleries menu drop-down yet shows in the Navigation menu when not logged into Backlight.

When logged into Backlight, the Album Set 1 does not appear in the Galleries drop-down menu. It appears with the hidden-eye icon on the Galleries page index as normal. But it does not appear on the navigation menu as it does when not logged in.

Not sure what the intended behavior should be. It seems to me that if one intentionally creates a menu item that the menu item should appear regardless. If so, I'd expect the item to show up in the menu while logged into Backlight as well.

So to me, it's behaving as it should when not logged in to Backlight. But when logged into Backlight, the created menu item is not appearing.

Hope that made sense...

View when logged into Backlight:

menu-item-missing.jpg

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2017-07-04 08:58:10

charlie.choc
Website

Note that this same thing worked ok in Okapi.

#10 2017-07-04 09:35:32

Ben

I doubt that the same thing worked okay in Okapi, unless it was several versions ago, as there has been no recent change to menu handling.
Thanks for the detailed explanation Rod.  It sounds like everything is working, except for the over-zealous hiding of the album set in the menu when logged into Backlight.  I'll look into it.

#11 2017-07-04 16:31:06

charlie.choc
Website

It may have been a few versions back when I implemented it but it was working when I did since I did all my testing while logged in. It's no big deal to me since it is still visible to all who aren't logged in.

#12 2017-07-04 16:53:00

Ben

Sorry, wrong call.  It's a Pangolin issue, but a matter of styling rather than functional changes.

#13 2017-07-04 17:22:36

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Thanks for checking into this, Ben. I've gone ahead and changed the styles for menu-items to accommodate this.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer