Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-02 04:00:52

Volker Dobler
Website

Font size

Dear all,

I am playing around with the new Pangolin and I am stumbling across a few questions.
Maybe I oversee anything, so any hint would be appreciate.

- where can I change the font size of the main content? I can change the font weight, but I could not find where to change the font size.
- when I put a picture in the background of my starting page, the top part is still "white" - even if I disable the search feature.

My test site is: http://www.volker-dobler.de/homepangolin
(not a very good background picture, but I am just playing around)

Best regards,
Volker

#2 2017-07-02 10:30:44

rod barbee
Website

Re: Font size

Not sure on the font size control....
It looks like the base font-size is 16px though.

the white bar at the top of your page it the Top Pallet. You can make that transparent too:

Layout > Top Pallet > Background Color

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-07-02 11:50:03

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Backlight uses a base font size of 1em (16px), and scales most other text using relative units (rem).

There is no font-size control for base text, nor for many other elements. This isn't new; Backlight has never offered such controls, in okapi or in pangolin. Instead, I've tried to implement font styling with consistency throughout the design, with a focus toward getting right, rather than providing granular control and littering the designer UI with unnecessary sliders and options.

Where I have provided dedicated font controls for a specific item, it's because I feel there's great value in having them in that place. For example, I think there's great value in having font customization options for the masthead; there's far less value in having them for the page footer. And so, in the footer, having a lot of options for font control would amount to so much clutter.

If you want to change the font-size of something specific, then it's best to target that element directly using custom CSS.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2017-07-02 14:11:38

Volker Dobler
Website

Thanks Rod and Matthew for your explanations.

My Personal preference is (I am getting older) to have a possibility to change base font size, but you are right, I can use CSS for this.

Thanks for the great update of backlight

Volker

#5 2017-07-02 14:16:33

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Volker Dobler wrote:

My Personal preference is (I am getting older) to have a possibility to change base font size, but you are right, I can use CSS for this.

I would be careful changing the base font size. As we're using relative font sizes throughout the theme, changing the base will also impact other parts of the design. This may or may not be okay for you, so just keep an eye on things if that's your approach.

Otherwise, I would target specific parts of the page. For example, the main content area specifically, or even elements within it.

In any case, I do appreciate your understanding. It's a fine line I try to walk, between giving enough customization options without overloading the interface and having it be overwhelming to use. I think that Backlight walks that line better than many of our earlier plugins.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#6 2017-07-03 03:27:06

Volker Dobler
Website

Dear Matthew,

don't worry about the font size - I can accept the standard size and will play with markdown in my starting page.

But regarding the white top pallet I still have problems and what rod suggested is not working as I have no color set.

I can switch the pallet completely off - but that's not what I want. All colors in the "Top Pallet" area are "crossed" colors - so no white as seen in my page. I can change this color e.g. to yellow and the pallet will get yellow. But if I change it back to "crossed" color, it appears to be back in white and overlaying my background picture.

Its not important, as I will delete the background picture in my final version, but just curios if its a bug or a feature? :-)

Best regards,
Volker

#7 2017-07-03 03:32:03

rod barbee
Website

the "X" you see means that it's using the color set in the Color control group.
You can override this though by choosing another color and using the transparency slider set opacity to 0.

Have you seen Matt's video about using the new color controls? You'll find it in the blog post announcing Backlight 1.2:
http://theturninggate.net/2017/06/30/ba … available/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2017-07-03 04:24:17

Volker Dobler
Website

thanks rod,

but than I can not change the pallet to transparent, as the color in the control group does not allow a "x" color (which doesn't make any sense - I agree).

I have included the background image in the background control group, so I thought that the pallet is also overwritten by the background color - but seems that it is always using the base background color.

I have seen the video but was not aware of this feature, that an individual background image will not be seen in the pallet area.

have a nice day/evening/night :-)
volker

Last edited by Volker Dobler (2017-07-03 04:24:56)

#9 2017-07-03 04:29:30

rod barbee
Website

Change the Top Pallet color and transparency by going to Layout > Top Pallet
Here's a sample: http://pangolin.barbeephoto.com/background-image/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2017-07-03 04:35:06

Volker Dobler
Website

hi rod,

cool - I did not think about rgba() ...

thanks a lot for this wonderful tip and the fast help!!

regards
volker

Last edited by Volker Dobler (2017-07-03 04:35:31)

Board footer