Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-01 00:32:50

sobelm

how to install new Backlight 1.2 Pangolin?

How do I install the new version of Backlight Pangolin, without messing up my existing websites?

Thanks

Michael

#2 2017-07-01 00:36:16

rod barbee
Website

Re: how to install new Backlight 1.2 Pangolin?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-07-01 01:01:58

kevin
Website

Michael   

The following is copy and pasted directly out of the Blog post that Rod mentioned above.  I personally have not gone through the procedure yet,  but it sounds straight forward.

The only concern that I have is modifying or republishing an existing gallery...  I am assuming that existing galleries will be intact as long as you don't modify or republish them!

Might be a good idea to backup your existing site!

good luck.

Kevin

"quote

Moving from Okapi to Pangolin

Rather than being direct upgrades to the existing Okapi modules, the Pangolin modules are separate. To use the new modules, you will need to create new templates, then migrate your pages, albums, etc. to use them. I expect this need for migration to be divisive. But as we began working toward this update so many months ago, it seemed the scope of the intended improvements would be far too disruptive to existing templates. For this reason, we made a clean break from Okapi and created the Pangolin modules as separate things. It’s our opinion, the significance of the improvements more than makes up for the inconvenience of migrating.

Migrating can be done in your own time, though, and should not be stressful. If you’re happy with your current site, you may continue to use the Okapi modules for as long as needed.

I would like to create a video on this sometime soon, but here’s my advice for migrating:

Create a temporary album with perhaps ten images. When publishing, hide the album both from search and from album sets. You will use this hidden album to work on templates.
Create new template using the Pangolin modules.
Assign your existing pages, album sets and albums to use the new templates.
If you have questions or require assistance with this process, please post in the forum. We are here to help.

Unquote"

#4 2017-07-01 01:08:06

Daniel Leu
Website

kevin wrote:

The only concern that I have is modifying or republishing an existing gallery...  I am assuming that existing galleries will be intact as long as you don't modify or republish them!

The existing galleries are based on okapi templates while the new galleries are based on pangolin templates. They are separate. While creating new pangolin page templates, you can continue to edit and add new images to your existing galleries. They can exist side-by-side with newly created pangolin galleries.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#5 2017-07-01 01:19:37

kevin
Website

Thanks for the information Daniel...

Kevin

#6 2017-07-01 01:21:40

Matthew
Administrator
Website

As the blog post says, I recommend creating a hidden album that you can tinker with. In the meantime, you're safe to leave your old okapi stuff up and running.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#7 2017-07-01 01:59:02

speacock110

The upgrade instruction says delete okapi core yet with that gone I get an error. If I want to continue using my pages don't I still need the OkapiCore (I put it back and it works) With Okapi gone as assume I have to delete the none pangolin pages. This bit need a little more claification

#8 2017-07-01 02:48:18

rod barbee
Website

speacock110 wrote:

The upgrade instruction says delete okapi core yet with that gone I get an error. If I want to continue using my pages don't I still need the OkapiCore (I put it back and it works) With Okapi gone as assume I have to delete the none pangolin pages. This bit need a little more claification

actually, the instruction say to remove and re-upload

1. Remove and re-upload the following files and directories:

backlight/config.php
    backlight/env.php.skel
    backlight/admin/
    backlight/designer/
    backlight/framework/
    backlight/publisher/
    backlight/modules/module-pages
    backlight/modules/okapi-core

Don't delete your Okapi pages, at least not until you're ready to switch the page templates to one you've created with the new Pangolin design.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2017-07-01 03:25:03

mridley
Website

I'm confused too,  isn't remove and delete much the same thing?

So do we leave the existing "okapi-core" in place or not?

rod barbee wrote:
speacock110 wrote:

actually, the instruction say to remove and re-upload

1. Remove and re-upload the following files and directories:

backlight/config.php
    backlight/env.php.skel
    backlight/admin/
    backlight/designer/
    backlight/framework/
    backlight/publisher/
    backlight/modules/module-pages
    backlight/modules/okapi-core

Don't delete your Okapi pages, at least not until you're ready to switch the page templates to one you've created with the new Pangolin design.

#10 2017-07-01 03:41:46

charlie.choc
Website

Leave the Okapi modules in place. It's possible to have a mix of Okapi and Pangolin pages on a site - that's what I'm doing as I migrate, I create Pangolin templates and then assign them to existing pages. This way I can switch back to Okapi if I don't like what I see.

#11 2017-07-01 03:52:38

rod barbee
Website

"Remove and re-upload" is the key phrase.
So yes, delete the indicated folders but you'll be re-uploading the new versions.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2017-07-01 07:32:03

Ben

We explain it as "remove and re-upload" to ensure that the folders are fully replaced.  We had previously found that some FTP clients didn't upload all of the files properly when uploading over the top of existing folders.

Board footer