Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-23 10:15:18

eimages
Website

menu link broken

When I first load my website, I can click on any of the items on my menu bar and they all work just fine: "Galleries", "About", "Contact", "Search" and "Prints". When I hover over the menu items, I see the URL formed like this: www.jpcgpdx.com/?page=about.

I then go into any of the gallery pages. The Gallery and Search menu items work fine. However, when I hover over any of my manually created menu items "About", "Contact" or "Prints", I see the URL formed like this: www.jpcgpdx.com/about/. This is incorrect. There is no such subdirectory on my site. Sure enough, when I click on the menu item, I get a 404 error - page not found.

How can I fix this? I thought this was under Menu Sets? I have these three menu items pointed to my manually created Pages. I have already cleared my cache and tried two different browsers.

http://www.jpcgpdx.com

#2 2017-01-23 11:07:03

rod barbee
Website

Re: menu link broken

just a guess, but did you upload the .htaccess file that came with Backlight+Pages?

are all page templates using the same menu set?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-01-23 11:55:45

Ben

URLs in the format of /about/ are dynamically handled by the .htaccess file and index.php at the top of your site.
You've either missed uploading .htaccess to the top of your site or it's not working properly.
Try uploading the file.  If you have uploaded the file and found that links such as /about/ still do not work, then change the Page URL Format setting (found within the Website Settings section of the Backlight settings) to ?page=about and clear your template cache.

#4 2017-01-24 01:29:19

eimages
Website

As suggested, it was an issue with .htaccess file. I had my Backlight based site under www.jpcgpdx.com/beta while I was developing it. This while I kept my then current flash-based site up and running. When the backlight site was ready for prime time, I backed up everything, removed my old site, and then moved the backlight site up one level to the root. Somehow, during this transition, I missed moving .htaccess. Seeing as it shows up in your file browser as a hidden file (greyed out), I'm not surprised. Found it and moved it. Problem solved!
Excellent product, by the way. I'm really happy with my new site! Kudos all!

#5 2017-01-24 06:11:37

Ben

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad that solved it. The hidden file name has been a pain point over the years. Unfortunately that's the file name that Apache servers require.

Board footer