Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-28 23:19:31

dlangan

Is it possible to link to a html page from an album?

Hi there,

Apologies if my question is incorrectly formed.

The easiest way to explain might be through example.

Here's my website http://www.deirdrelangan.com/TTG-TEST/DLP/

There are 2 albums; Testimonials & Wedding Images.

Wedding Images Gallery works fine.  But what I'd like is a Testimonials page plus some others eg. Blog, FAQs etc.  that displays like an album but when clicked on, brings up the respective testimonials, blog & FAQ pages. 

Is it possible to do what I'm proposing?  (It doesn't look possible but I still don't really know what I'm doing with backlight/pages!).

Many thanks in advance,
Deirdre

#2 2016-10-29 04:40:51

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Is it possible to link to a html page from an album?

I don't think you can have an album entry that links to a different location. For the blog, I would just create a menu entry pointing to /blog.

But you can do this for testimonials and FAQs. Have a look at my greeting cards shop page. I created this using the Theater module. All the text is entered in Lightroom. Using the embedded slideshow is optional. The shop page is a top-level gallery and currently doesn't display the gallery since I haven't completed the other shop pages, but eventually this will come as well.

At the same time you could continue doing it as you have it on your homepage: use a dedicated menu with a custom page.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2016-11-01 20:27:03

dlangan

Thanks Daniel,

Just back after bank holiday weekend so sorry for the delayed reply.

Thanks for your website link.  It looks good.  I like how your Greeting card looks like a top-level gallery but when clicked it takes the user to greeting card info.  How did you achieve that?  Is it using theatre module?

Many thanks,
Deirdre

#4 2016-11-01 20:50:29

Ben

Hi Deirdre, on your original question.  This can't be done with Backlight.  The idea has come up before, and without having given it a lot of thought, I think it would be very hard to add into Backlight, so therefore not something we're likely to add unless there's a significant demand for it.

#5 2016-11-01 21:27:29

dlangan

Thanks Ben!

So, if I understand correctly I'll really have to have Blog, FAQ, Testimonials etc as Menu items?  And just the galleries as galleries?

There isn't a function on pages or anything that allows me to have a pretend top-gallery looking icon, say placed beside a real top-gallery, but instead of leading me into a gallery, it brings me to a blog or html page?

I just thought it would look nice & uniform if I could place all topics (FAQ, Blog, Real Weddings etc) into those neat little square boxes (top-galleries).

Many thanks,
Deirdre

#6 2016-11-01 21:43:58

Ben

Hi Dierdre,  that's correct.  There are no functions for those.

Backlight operates completely differently from CE4.  It is database driven and not directory driven.  That you were able to do that before was incidental and not by design of our system.  As an undocumented and unintentional way of working, it's not something we've accounted for in Backlight in any way.

#7 2016-11-01 21:55:45

dlangan

Hi Ben,

I've never used CE4 & have no idea how it works.  I originally created my own website, mainly winging it.  It was so long ago (10yrs) that the little bit of css or html that I learned, I've since forgotten.

I only recently discovered Backlight as I searched for a LR plugin that would create responsive galleries.  So, when I discovered Backlight + Pages it gave me the idea to rewrite my entire website & not just the galleries.  And in my quest for design I've found ideas like the one I originally proposed.

Anyway, back to the drawing board :-)

Many thanks,
Deirdre

#8 2016-11-01 22:47:40

rod barbee
Website

Hi Deidre,
If you want a page like you linked to above: two items, one linked to a testimonials page and one linked to either an album or album set, you can do that with html using the TTG Responsive grid.
http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … backlight/
Use it to create a two column grid and include an image plus text. You could add a link to the pages in the text, the image, or even both. You can then include styling to add borders, box-shadows, or whatever you want to make it look nice.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#9 2016-11-02 00:01:52

Daniel Leu
Website

dlangan wrote:

Thanks Daniel,

Just back after bank holiday weekend so sorry for the delayed reply.

Thanks for your website link.  It looks good.  I like how your Greeting card looks like a top-level gallery but when clicked it takes the user to greeting card info.  How did you achieve that?  Is it using theatre module?

Many thanks,
Deirdre

Hi Deirdre,

''/shop'' is a top-level gallery that contains several galleries. All of them have 'Hide from AlbumSet' selected. The image that links to the greeting-cards info is just a plain html link. Once I have designed all 'galleries', I will change the look and disable 'Hide from AlbumSet'.

''/shop/greeting-cards'' is a Theater module, but it could be just a gallery as well. So you could use this to add an FAQ to your gallery-set. Just don't add any images. It defeats the purpose of being a gallery, but this way you can have a text page next to the image galleries.

Hope this helps!

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#10 2016-11-02 01:45:25

dlangan

Thanks very much again Rod & Daniel. 

You've just presented me with a good deal of reading & research to do!  Much appreciated!

I'll probably be back with more questions :-)

#11 2016-11-02 19:25:15

dlangan

Hi again,

Thanks Rod - I had a read of some of your articles & linked to articles yesterday.  I was intending to experiment & play around with TTG responsive grid but I couldn't find out how to integrate a custom .html page to backlight.

Daniel guided me on how to include a .css file (advanced design options) but I can't find anything similar for .html pages.  I've never used CE4 but in my research I've come across 'Page Copy' which appears to be what I'm looking for in backlight.  Is there a backlight equivalent of 'Page Copy' where I can attach my own .html & integrate it with backlight?

Many thanks,
Deirdre

#12 2016-11-02 19:38:48

dlangan

Okay, so maybe I'm a bit more with it today!  I just did a bit of googling & found
http://www.barbeephoto.com/blog/backlight/

So I can place .html in the 'Main Copy', 'Tray 01 Copy' & 'Tray 02 Copy' of each page!  Got it (I think - I've still to experiment with it ?)

Thanks again Rod!!

#13 2016-11-02 21:37:38

rod barbee
Website

yep, you can place html in all page copy areas: In the Page Copy area of a Backlight created page copy or the Album Copy area of an album template or Album Set Copy area of an album set template copy or in the Publisher page copy area of an album or album set in Lightroom.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2016-11-03 03:18:08

dlangan

Wow! In Lightroom aswell.  Gee, didn't know that but might find a use for it there!  Great, thanks Rod!

#15 2017-01-07 08:00:41

genedwig

I'd like to pursue this function as well. It basically makes an album created in LightRoom a visual menu. Clicking one of the pretty pictures links directly another page or gallery. I can see the embedded code that now goes to the large photo page, when hovering over a picture. I want to edit that url, to direct to the appropriate gallery.
http://www.leather.dwiggins.com/images/ … d-code.png
I'd really like to make use of an album/gallery through Backlight to make use of the dynamic page layout, especially nice for mobil devices. What I am doing now is pasting html code into the Page Copy field of a page. It works, but isn't as flexible or as nice as how a gallery smoothly formats for different screen sizes. Thanks

Gene Dwiggins

#16 2017-01-07 09:37:24

rod barbee
Website

As Ben mentioned, this isn't possible with Backlight albums, they are for displaying images, not creating links to other pages.

You could create your pages as separate albums or album sets that don't contain any images (no thumbnail grid in the page). Just html in the copy area.
Publish these in the top-level gallery page or another album set and they will appear on the Galleries page or the other album set's thumbnail grid. You'll need to provide custom thumbnails.

But you can't link existing pages to the thumbnails of an album or album set. In other words, you can't edit the urls in the thumbnails of either an album or album set to point at other pages.

If you need a setup where your visitors click on an image and are taken to different pages, then I think you're best option is using the TTG Responsive Grid as mentioned above.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer