Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-26 19:14:06

mridley
Website

Publisher Restore

Morning all,

I've had a HHD failure recently so I've had to reinstall windows etc,  I have a complete HDD backup, which files contain the publisher files, I.E the galleries I have uploaded?

I have the publisher listed in LR but no galleries below it,  I.E as it's a new installation.

#2 2016-12-26 23:29:32

rod barbee
Website

Re: Publisher Restore

Your catalog contains the Publisher collections. I think that all you need to do is to restore a backed up catalog and reconnect Publisher with the API URL and API key.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-12-26 23:35:04

mridley
Website

rod barbee wrote:

Your catalog contains the Publisher collections. I think that all you need to do is to restore a backed up catalog and reconnect Publisher with the API URL and API key.

Tried that didn't work, my LR catalog is on a different drive to the one that failed, so once I had replaced the drive I loaded LR and pointed it to the catalog and everything in respect to LR is working just no publisher galleries?

#4 2016-12-27 00:23:01

rod barbee
Website

Have you reconnected Publisher to the API URL? Does the verification pass?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2016-12-27 05:57:49

mridley
Website

rod barbee wrote:

Have you reconnected Publisher to the API URL? Does the verification pass?

Yes reconnected and all passed,  I can even create and upload a new gallery via publisher..

I did not have to re-renter the API etc that was already there and passed the verification,  just no galleries are listed..

Last edited by mridley (2016-12-27 06:00:30)

#6 2016-12-27 06:03:50

rod barbee
Website

maybe a silly question, but do the API URL and API key belong to the Backlight installation you're currently working with? Could they perhaps be connected to a test site or other installation?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2016-12-27 14:37:36

mridley
Website

rod barbee wrote:

maybe a silly question, but do the API URL and API key belong to the Backlight installation you're currently working with? Could they perhaps be connected to a test site or other installation?

Not that i am aware,  I have checked the API's by changing both again,  still no luck.

Last edited by mridley (2016-12-28 01:18:38)

#8 2016-12-28 21:33:48

mridley
Website

Is there not an official document advising how to backup publisher?

#9 2016-12-28 21:46:56

Ben

There isn't anything to add to Rod's first reply.

#10 2016-12-28 22:14:00

mridley
Website

Ben wrote:

There isn't anything to add to Rod's first reply.

Hi Ben,  but that did not work!

I have a number of drives in my windows machine,

C, D, E and an F,  my main C drive failed (an M.2 drive),  my LR catalogue resides on the F: drive, 

I have a complete C drive backup,  I replaced the old faulty drive and re-installed the opsysy, reinstalled LR and then just pointed it to F drive,  reinstalled the publisher plugin, all the the details were there API URL Etc, checked Authenticity, so i thought great that was easy... But no Publisher galleries shown although they were all present on the website,  if i tried to create a gallery with the same name that was on the website Publisher would even inform me of a duplicate name?

I appreciates Rod's replies Ben but in my instance it did not work,  I am very careful with my backup procedures so I'm am trying to understand why this has happened?

There was no need to restore LR from any backups as this had not been effected by the failure, LR is now as it was prior to the failure I.E all the edits I had done are there so it's not making much sense why Publisher is empty?

#11 2016-12-28 22:47:57

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Your publish collections are a part of your Lightroom catalog, so should exist in your catalog backup. So long as your catalog backup is up-to-date, there is no need to backup publish services separately.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#12 2016-12-28 23:13:35

rod barbee
Website

after you reinstalled Lightroom and opened your catalog, did you see an entry under Publish Services: TTG Publisher (Missing plugin) followed by the name of the Publisher instance?
This would indicate that the catalog has collections under Publish Services but is missing the plug-in.

I can completely remove the TTG Publisher plug-in and I get this warning. It even shows what albums are there.

The only things I can think of are that you're using a different catalog than the one that created the albums on your site OR that the catalog got corrupted.

Since you say you just connected to the existing catalog on the F:/ drive, you might try restoring that catalog from a back up.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2016-12-28 23:14:49

mridley
Website

Matthew wrote:

Your publish collections are a part of your Lightroom catalog, so should exist in your catalog backup. So long as your catalog backup is up-to-date, there is no need to backup publish services separately.

I did not need to restore my LR catalogue as that was on a completely different drive to the one that failed,  but the publisher entries were blank once i reinstalled the publisher services?

#14 2016-12-28 23:23:49

rod barbee
Website

Here's what I see in a catalog that has had the TTG Publisher plug-in removed. It still shows that the collections are there, but that the plug-in is missing:
missing-plugin.jpg

it even shows what albums are there:
albums-in-missing-plugin.jpg

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2016-12-29 04:42:30

michilge
Website

When I copied my LR catalogs to a new computer last week, I also did not see my published albums first. I took some care to set up my publisher instance first. I then copied the catalog with all my dngs and synchronized the published collections with AlloySoft's LR Voyager plugin. Nevertheless I did not find the published albums and album sets until I created the first album on the new installation. As soon as I saved the settings for that new catalog, all the others appeared. It seems to me as if that event triggered the Publisher plugin to either sync with the server or to rebuild the tree from the catalog.
You wrote You have been alerted about an album already existing on the server side. Have You tried creating an uploading a new one?

Best wishes
Michael

#16 2016-12-29 09:05:47

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Publish Services -- whether Backlight or otherwise -- do not sync from their destinations; Lightroom doesn't work that way. Your catalog is the source, and it is entirely unaware of what's been published. The albums should continue to exist in your catalog. If they require a kick in the pants before they show up, however, that's a bug I'd hang on Adobe.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer