Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-26 02:02:48

grover_c

Image filename with decimal problems

Hi All,

I have another question.  I was having 404 problems with certain images in Single-image HTML Pages.  It seems to be as a result of having a decimal in the filename, eg. Image-bla-bla.3.jpg.  Is this a limitation of the Backlight, Lightroom, a bug, or am I doing something wrong?  This, of course, also affects the image sharing, which is how I discovered the issue.

I appreciate all of the support here.
Thanks a lot.

#2 2016-12-26 03:03:45

rod barbee
Website

Re: Image filename with decimal problems

File and folder names should contain only letters, numbers, underscores, and dashes. No spaces, decimals, commas or other special characters. Single and double quotes, decimals, and others mean something in PHP and JavaScript and having them in file names can mess things up.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-12-26 15:29:44

Matthew
Administrator
Website

... Is this a limitation of the Backlight, Lightroom, a bug, or am I doing something wrong? ...

By having decimals in your file names, you are doing something wrong. While computer operating systems have come to allow this in the modern era, such file names are not web-safe, and make for bad practice when you intend to be passing files between various systems (such as from your computer, to remote web servers).

Bottom line, you should stop using decimals in file names. Not just for the sake of Backlight, but entirely, as it's universally a bad thing to be doing.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2016-12-26 23:58:37

grover_c

Thanks for the information. 

FWIW, I come from the film world where it is standard practice to use the decimal place for the individual frames within a shot, "project_scene_shot.0001.dpx",  "project_scene_shot.0002.dpx", etc.  When you do it every day for more than 25 years it becomes second nature.  I will break the habit for Backlight.

Last edited by grover_c (2016-12-27 00:00:32)

#5 2016-12-27 12:34:46

Matthew
Administrator
Website

As you're already using a combination of underscores and decimals, I'm guessing you want to preserve the different. I'd use hyphens then instead of decimals. This is a web safe filename:

project_scene_shot-0001.dpx

Matt

#6 2016-12-27 12:36:18

grover_c

Thanks. I totally get it.  Just explaining that old habits die hard.

#7 2016-12-28 15:33:40

Ben

I agree that periods within the main part of the filename may be problematic on the web.  However, for this problem, it is possible to have the single pages working by editing the htaccess Backlight setting.  Specifically, changing the rewrite rule for single.php to:

RewriteRule ^([^\/]*)-single.php$ %{ENV:BASE}single.php?%{ENV:QS}&id=$1 [QSA,L]

#8 2016-12-28 17:58:21

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Ben wrote:

I agree that periods within the main part of the filename may be problematic on the web.  However, for this problem, it is possible to have the single pages working by editing the htaccess Backlight setting.  Specifically, changing the rewrite rule for single.php to:

RewriteRule ^([^\/]*)-single.php$ %{ENV:BASE}single.php?%{ENV:QS}&id=$1 [QSA,L]

The file names can still cause hangups where used in Javascript, though.

Matt

Board footer