Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-17 07:02:53

Samoreen
Website

Mouse conflict when selecting footer text

Hi,

Steps to reproduce :

1. Open a BL gallery either in full window or full screen mode.
2. It is assumed that the displayed image has a text footer.
3. Try to select the text in the footer with the mouse : this moves the image to the left or to the right.

In Firefox, the image is moved and the text is selected. In Chrome, IE and Edge, the image is moved but no text is selected.

Last edited by Samoreen (2016-10-17 07:04:17)

Patrick

#2 2016-10-17 08:52:54

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Mouse conflict when selecting footer text

Take it up with the Photoswipe author if you'd like, or with the browser manufacturers and their implementations for touch events.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2016-10-17 10:15:22

Daniel Leu
Website

Did you try to double/triple click the text to select it? Works for me on a Mac.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#4 2016-10-17 10:28:51

rod barbee
Website

I can just click in the text and use Ctrl-A (windows) to select the text.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2016-10-17 11:13:19

admint
Website

Samoreen wrote:

Hi,

Steps to reproduce :

1. Open a BL gallery either in full window or full screen mode.
2. It is assumed that the displayed image has a text footer.
3. Try to select the text in the footer with the mouse : this moves the image to the left or to the right.

I can confirm what the OP is talking about in both Chrome and IE11.  That said, it doesn't really bother me as I thought it was normal behavior. I noticed it about a week or so ago; before the spate of IE fixes Matt provided for another issue.

But yeah, you can't select text with a mouse.

Edit on Chrome: If you left click the text a couple of times you can select it, so for me it's just IE11. Still no biggie here.

Last edited by admint (2016-10-17 11:24:43)

#6 2016-10-17 20:36:38

Samoreen
Website

Matthew wrote:

Take it up with the Photoswipe author if you'd like, or with the browser manufacturers and their implementations for touch events.

I really appreciate the pleasing tone of this answer... I purchased Backlight, not Photoswipe. If a software relies on a third-party's piece of code, the author/editor takes responsibility for it, and he's supposed to get in touch with the supplier of this code when problems appear. If I have a problem with Windows, I talk to Microsoft and I don't try to determine who has written the faulty piece of code that breaks Windows.

Anyway, thanks to the other posters. I agree, it's a minor issue and the user will rarely need to select the footer text. I just wanted to report it. Not a problem for me but this behavior can surprise my visitors.

FYI.
Ctrl-A works in Firefox and Chrome but not in IE and Edge (I'm running Windows 10). In IE and Edge the whole page is selected and when returning to the thumbnail view, the whole page remains selected.

The double-click approach works in Firefox, Chrome, Edge but not in IE.

Patrick

#7 2016-10-18 03:00:04

admint
Website

Samoreen wrote:
Matthew wrote:

I really appreciate the pleasing tone of this answer... I purchased Backlight, not Photoswipe. If a software relies on a third-party's piece of code, the author/editor takes responsibility for it, and he's supposed to get in touch with the supplier of this code when problems appear. If I have a problem with Windows, I talk to Microsoft and I don't try to determine who has written the faulty piece of code that breaks Windows.

Agree. And to be honest I was somewhat offended by the tone of the post myself considering we all bought the software from Matthew (aka Matthew Campagna, Inc.), not Photoswipe.  And yeah, the reply cold have been much more customer friendly.  Outside those outbursts I do find the support here extremely fast and helpful. 

My two cents.

Board footer