Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-28 22:43:24

Samoreen
Website

[1.04] Modified image not updated

Hi,

I have only modified one single image in my collections after updating to version 1.04. I modified some metadata, the basic settings and added some effects. Then I selected "Publish now" for this album but the image was not updated on the site even after a refresh and after disabling the "Push metadata without updating the existing photos. I tried multiple times but nothing changed on the site. I had to re-publish the whole album to have this single image correctly updated.

Anyone having had the same experience ?

Thanks.

Patrick

#2 2016-08-29 00:42:27

rod barbee
Website

Re: [1.04] Modified image not updated

I tried updating images in several albums. no problems at all.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-08-29 18:00:59

Samoreen
Website

I did some further testing today :

1. I selected another image and modified some of the basic settings (Exposure, Contrast, Clarity,...)

2. I used the "Publish now" command and the image was not updated on the server (no export step in the history).

3. I tried again after disabling the "Push metadata without updating the existing photos" option. Same result.

4. I then modified the cropping for this image. This time, the image was updated on the server (export step visible in the history).

5. I made further modifications to the basic settings for this image and this time the image was updated on the server. I repeated the test and each time, the image was updated.

6. I re-enabled the "Push metadata without updating the existing photos" option, made new modifications to some basic settings and again, the image was not updated.

7. I disabled again the "Push metadata without updating the existing photos" option, made new modifications to the basic settings, re-published and the image was correctly updated.

So, it seems that there's an initialization problem with some state variable and also that there's something wrong with the "Push metadata without updating the existing photos" option (this has already been mentioned in another thread, by the way).

PS : How do I add an image to a post in this forum ? It would be much easier to show what's happening if it was possible to insert a screen capture.

Patrick

#4 2016-08-29 18:38:22

Samoreen
Website

I may be dense, but I have understood that even when the "Push metadata without updating the existing photos" option is enabled, the images should be updated anyway if they have been modified. This option is here only to avoid unnecessary uploading of the image when only the metadata have been modified. Am I wrong ?

In any case, the tests above demonstrate that the behavior of this option is not consistent. See step #4 . If some modifications (cropping) can trigger an update while others do not (basic settings) there's something broken somewhere.

Patrick

#5 2016-08-29 20:19:04

Ben

Hi Patrick,

Firstly, if the Push Metadata Without Updating Existing Photos is selected, then no image renditions will be pushed, no matter the visual changes made in Publisher.

Before step 3. did you make sure that the image/s were marked for re-publishing?  If you had published them in step 2 (metadata only), then they will no longer be in the to-publish queue, and will not be moved into the queue simply by unchecking the 'push metadata...' option.

The Publisher works in the following ways:

1. Having push metadata selected will not push any images, regardless of what you had changed to them.

2. Publishing images, whether push metadata is enabled or not, will remove them from the publishing queue.

3. Changing the state of push metadata will not re-add any images to the publishing queue.  This applies to all cases, including to images that had visually changed but not had the renders updated when published while push metadata was enabled.

4. Images join the to-publish queue when you change them, when you right-click to have and click Mark to Republish, or when you select Republish All when prompted after making changes to the publisher instance settings.

Are the above points consistent with what you are experiencing?  This is how Publisher works and is tested to work.  Some of this behaviour is beyond our control.  The existence of the 'Push metadata...' option was itself added due to a shortcoming in the LR SDK, in that Publisher has no way of discovering whether a photo has been added to the queue because of visual or non-visual (e.g. metadata) changes.

#6 2016-08-29 20:19:25

rod barbee
Website

When the "Push metadata without updating existing photos" option is checked, only metadata changes are pushed to the server. Changes in the picture itself are not sent to the server.

To add an image to a forum post, place the image online and put the URL to it between IMG tags:

[img]http://yoursite.com/your-image.jpg[/img]

(Click on the links below the reply box for more details)

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#7 2016-08-29 20:44:32

Samoreen
Website

Ben, Rod,

Yes, what I observe is consistent with what you explained. Thanks. Problem fixed.

Now back to a recent discussion about the lack of documentation in BL. Don't you think that these mechanisms should be explained in the documentation ? Ben, your post should obviously belong to the documentation (did I miss it ?). This would save time for both the support and the users. Currently, the documentation makes the assumption that everything about Publishing Services is known by the user. I guess that I'm not the only BL user (migrating from CE3 or CE4) who is using a publishing service in LR for the first time.

Patrick

#8 2016-08-29 20:54:25

Ben

I may look to add this to the documentation, but I don't think there is great value for the user-base as a whole.  You've made an assumption that nobody else to date has made, that changing the Push metadata setting would somehow have an impact on the to-publish queue.  The operation is really quite simple: Click publish, and images are removed from the queue.  Add them back through Lightroom's various mechanisms if you want to publish again.

Board footer