Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-02 23:05:48

speacock110

Developing a backlight workflow and issues of the single catalogue

Although in every way bar the single catalogue problem, I think that backlight is much better easier and quicker than CE4. (ignoring missing features that could come later).
However, I can see this single catalogue issue becoming a big limitation in its use for a photoshoot photographer especially when using the Client Response Add-In for approval.

To explain my thoughts two scenarios
1. Wedding photoshoots where you publish 200+ images for approval and also for the client to share with friend that may not be able to attend the wedding itself (maybe two albums per client, approval and view by friends). Assuming you leave them on the site for 12 months and you are very lucky with a wedding every week so 50 a year that is a lot of published albums. I cannot see anyway way of archiving the album then removing from the published section of Lightroom. This was possible with CE3 and 4 by just exporting the web pages etc. and uploading manually.

2. Photoshoots that are of different styles i.e. wedding, children, baptisms, proms and others. To help manage these using different catalogues would help and keep them easy to manage. This could be even worse if the first scenario applied to the other styles of photography. Currently I have 5 catalogues
a. Wildlife (using published services) separate sub domain
b. Family and friends (usually a one off upload to using CE4 templates) separate sub domain
c. Weddings (one or two corrected uploads to using CE4 templates) main site
d Special photoshoots (one or two corrected uploads to using CE4 templates) main site
e. Proms and other work events (usually a one off upload to using CE4 templates) main site

I am only an amateur photographer when it comes to this side of photography so the current quantity is low, but during the last few years I have had to consider the above situations and have as a result only used TTG and published services with my wildlife photograph. Most of the time I just export from CE4 upload using Dreamweaver or FileZilla

These are just thoughts as I want to develop my photography in the future and I would like to hope I run across these problems. I want to use backlight but I am currently looking at how to setup a practical workflow that uses it.

#2 2016-07-02 23:43:48

rod barbee
Website

Re: Developing a backlight workflow and issues of the single catalogue

Since the single catalog issue is a Lightroom issue, have you also put in a feature request to Adobe?

#1 scenario
With Publisher, you can move albums from one set to another. Try creating archive sets and hide them from public view.nthen just move older albums into their respective archive sets.
If you want to delete the albums but keep the images together, first put the images in regular collections.

Not sure what you're asking for with #2
If you're using separate catalogs, you have to publish from each separately. Lightroom cannott publish into the same album from different catalogs.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-07-03 12:27:33

Matthew
Administrator
Website

With Lightroom, Adobe is really pushing the single-catalog workflow. Here's a video by Julienne Kost that goes into it a bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FKjpXw8C_8

I would also recommend a single catalog workflow, for various reasons. Having lived with Lightroom (often begrudgingly) since 1.0, having multiple catalogs becomes extremely unwieldy when updating from one version to the next, keeping presets and templates in order, etc. Using your client examples, maybe you shoot a wedding; the next year, the couple has a baby and hires you to shoot portraits. Now you have images for one client in two different catalogs. This would quickly get out of hand.

One catalog, with images intelligently organized into folders is usually a better way to go.

Similarly, you can organize you online galleries into "Album Sets" within the publisher, which should help you to keep things in order. Albums can also be dragged from one set into another, within the same publish service.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2016-07-04 16:01:30

speacock110

I understand that it is really a Lightroom issue and have raised it in the past with Adobe, no responce. Like you i have used Lightroom since V1, and like you often begrudgingly. The issue I am trying to get my head around is not having an unmanageable number of albums in  the backlight published service especially when they may only be active for a few months but the album needs to be online for viewing etc. I came across this problem with Catalogues and catalogue sets in the past (still not got a satisfactory solution) but then having an extra album or two for each Catalogue set increases the scrolling and hunting.

I know i am just thinking a ahead at the moment to a situation / problem i would like to be in as this means work coming in. So i suppose really all I am after is backlight based thoughts, ideas and suggestions.

Board footer