Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-18 21:07:11

alagazam

Swiping in gallery possible or not on mobile devices?

Can or can not a customer swipe through the images in CE4 CRG when using a mobile device (smartphone or pad)?

I have setup a gallery with the default settings and the only way I can change image is to use the arrow icons. That is not a really great way for customers to check their images 2015.

Last edited by alagazam (2015-08-18 21:22:10)

#2 2015-08-18 22:06:01

rod barbee
Website

Re: Swiping in gallery possible or not on mobile devices?

no swiping on mobile with magnific. Just tap the arrows.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-08-18 23:04:43

alagazam

rod barbee wrote:

no swiping on mobile with magnific. Just tap the arrows.

But why? The CE3 CRG could do it. It's really hard to understand why such a basic feature should be removed in a newer version.

Or is there a solution?

#4 2015-08-18 23:28:23

rod barbee
Website

My guess is that it has something to do with the functionality of the response panes. Perhaps swiping interferes with the response forms. But that's something Matt will have to comment about.

Keep in mind that the CE4 version is a complete rebuild from CE3 to accommodate the many feature requests and has little in common with it.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-08-18 23:32:05

alagazam

rod barbee wrote:

My guess is that it has something to do with the functionality of the response panes. Perhaps swiping interferes with the response forms. But that's something Matt will have to comment about.

Keep in mind that the CE4 version is a complete rebuild from CE3 to accommodate the many feature requests and has little in common with it.

But when ALL is moving towards mobile-friendly websites?!

This is not an upgrade at all. Really, really bad.

#6 2015-08-18 23:40:47

rod barbee
Website

Not an upgrade? Seriously? Over this one little thing?

Your clients can now make selections, close the browser, and come back later to continue making selections.
Client selections are now stored in a database so you can access them any time.
Pagination.
You can customize the response forms.

And it just takes a simple tap (less effort than swiping) to move from image to image.

I'm not an expert at this, Matt is, and I'm sure he has very good reasons for doing things the way he did.

But if you need the swiping function and it's the most important thing to you, you can always use the CE3 version of CRG instead.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-08-18 23:50:25

alagazam

rod barbee wrote:

Not an upgrade? Seriously? Over this one little thing?

Your clients can now make selections, close the browser, and come back later to continue making selections.
Client selections are now stored in a database so you can access them any time.
Pagination.
You can customize the response forms.

And it just takes a simple tap (less effort than swiping) to move from image to image.

I'm not an expert at this, Matt is, and I'm sure he has very good reasons for doing things the way he did.

But if you need the swiping function and it's the most important thing to you, you can always use the CE3 version of CRG instead.

You can build a car with incredible new features but with a square steering wheel it's not very user friendly.

Swiping is the way people do it in 2015. Tapping is not.

#8 2015-08-19 00:32:37

rod barbee
Website

well, I have no control over it.

You might remember that in the CE3 version, feedback features were only available on desktop, not on tablet or mobile. So I'd say the CE4 version, even without the swiping, is a huge improvement in mobile friendliness.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2015-08-19 18:34:15

alagazam

rod barbee wrote:

well, I have no control over it.

You might remember that in the CE3 version, feedback features were only available on desktop, not on tablet or mobile. So I'd say the CE4 version, even without the swiping, is a huge improvement in mobile friendliness.

The "On image click ..." doesn't work with the "Next image" chosen. Not on my iPhone 6 anyway. :-(

#10 2015-08-19 21:49:05

rod barbee
Website

The "On image click ..." doesn't work with the "Next image" chosen.

that is a control for the Highslide Slideshow desktop presentation.
CRG mobile presentation uses Magnific Popup. To configure that, set Magnific as the desktop presentation, make any changes, then revert to your preferred presentation for desktop.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2015-08-19 22:06:08

alagazam

rod barbee wrote:

The "On image click ..." doesn't work with the "Next image" chosen.

that is a control for the Highslide Slideshow desktop presentation.
CRG mobile presentation uses Magnific Popup. To configure that, set Magnific as the desktop presentation, make any changes, then revert to your preferred presentation for desktop.

Hmm, the option for "On image click ..." is only visible when I chose Highslide Slideshow for desktop presentation. In Magnific, do you mean the "First/Last image navigation ..." and, if so, what should I chose? I've tried "jumps to the next/previous page". Tapping doesn't work.

#12 2015-08-19 22:16:38

rod barbee
Website

First/Last image navigation just controls the behavior of the slides when you get to the first or last image.
What you choose depends on your set up. I have mine set to loop so that when it hits the last image and I tap the right arrow it just loops to the first.
Another option is to have it go to the first image in the next page if your gallery is paginated.
Another option hides the navigation when you hit the first or last image. In other words, when you hit the last image, the right arrow is hidden.
The remaining option is to close the slideshow.

Tapping the image itself will do nothing (well, other than bring up the CRG feedback and slideshow controls). Tap the arrows.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2015-08-19 22:57:22

alagazam

rod barbee wrote:

First/Last image navigation just controls the behavior of the slides when you get to the first or last image.
What you choose depends on your set up. I have mine set to loops so that when it hits the last image and I tap the right arrow it just loops to the first.
Another option is to have it go to the first image in the next page if your gallery is paginated.
Another option hides the navigation when you hit the first or last image. In other words, when you hit the last image, the right arrow is hidden.
The remaining option is to close the slideshow.

Tapping the image itself will do nothing (well, other than bring up the CRG feedback and slideshow controls). Tap the arrows.

Okay. Well this upgrade is very bad when it comes to mobility. Really bad.

When upgrading I guess that none of us thought that the swiping would be removed. Of course there are a lot of improvements in this version but removing this feature ... No, that was an incredible mistake.

Last edited by alagazam (2015-08-19 22:58:12)

#14 2015-08-19 23:01:13

rod barbee
Website

When upgrading I guess that none of us thought that the swiping would be removed.

You're the only one to mention it so far.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2015-08-20 16:41:02

alagazam

rod barbee wrote:

When upgrading I guess that none of us thought that the swiping would be removed.

You're the only one to mention it so far.

No, I'm not.

http://community.theturninggate.net/top … -friendly/

Two of my clients made me aware of the problem. I thought that I'd done a mistake setting up the new version.

Last edited by alagazam (2015-08-20 17:28:46)

#16 2015-08-20 19:05:56

Ben

alagazam wrote:

As one of the two developers behind CE4 CRG, this leaves me feeling sad.  How can it be that our product is so bad?  Or could it be that you are blind to the plethora of major new features and improvements?  I may be biased, but I'm leaning towards the latter.
Some friendly advice: being more constructive will no doubt get you more helpful assistance.

#17 2015-08-20 19:59:28

alagazam

Ben wrote:
alagazam wrote:

As one of the two developers behind CE4 CRG, this leaves me feeling sad.  How can it be that our product is so bad?  Or could it be that you are blind to the plethora of major new features and improvements?  I may be biased, but I'm leaning towards the latter.
Some friendly advice: being more constructive will no doubt get you more helpful assistance.

I have never said that your product is bad. I bought it. Twice, at least.

But the fact that you missed this elementary feature IS bad. Why did you remove it?

In what sense am I not constructive? This thread is about mobility, the way people use the web in 2015.

There are a lot of great features in this upgrade. That was the main reason for me to upgrade. But you missed a very important feature. Or, you removed it. Once upon a time you thought that swiping was good. Now you don't?

I hope you can understand my critique.

#18 2015-08-20 23:05:32

Matthew
Administrator
Website

alagazam wrote:

But the fact that you missed this elementary feature IS bad. Why did you remove it?

Because it was necessary to do so in order to release the product in accordance with our vision for what it should be, rather than hamstringing the entire affair for the sake of swiping, a nonessential and relatively minor quality-of-life feature.

Conversation closed.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer