Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-11 20:04:12

jimvee

Select-all button?

Having just made my first CRG gallery, the first question my client asked is "How do I choose the pictures I don't want?"

I appreciate this isn't really how the gallery was designed to work but a 'select all images' button would be really useful. Is this something you could consider adding in future development?

thanks

#2 2015-05-13 22:16:06

rod barbee
Website

Re: Select-all button?

cool idea.

I bet this could be done with a bit of jQuery and adding a "select all" box or button to the top of the grid. Looking at the source code for a CRG page, it looks like there would be a couple of things to target....

I better stop, otherwise I'll end up down a rabbit hole. Especially because of the "easier said than done" rule....

but it might be fun.....

...in an "I like math" sort of way....

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-05-13 22:51:09

Ben

Good idea Rod, but jQuery would indeed lead you down a rabbit hole.  It could be used to select the items on the page, but more scripting (within or via the TTG CRG JS) would be needed for the selection actions to save their state in the back-end.  Taking that further, even if the script did tell the back-end that the items were to be selected, making dozens (or hundreds?) of calls to the back-end wouldn't make for an efficient approach to set up a default selected state.  And that's not considering images spanning pages.  Rabbit hole smile

#4 2015-05-13 23:10:21

rod barbee
Website

Rabbit holes within rabbit holes....

I knew it would fall under the "easier said than done" rule smile

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-05-14 06:07:08

jimvee

Luckily I have no idea what you're talking about but rabbit holes sound adventurous. To a simple photographer, it would seem like a small ask..

Please do it if you can chaps, it'd be very lovely and my client would be extremely happy not to have to do all that clicking.

#6 2015-05-14 06:27:58

rod barbee
Website

From what Ben described, it sounds like quite a bit of coding. And quite a bit of back and forth with the server. I'm guessing this could initially slow things down a lot.
Each time your client makes a selection, that information is added to the database. If images were selected all at once it would create a lot of calls to the back-end.

If this was just a simple form, setting all the check boxes to the checked state would probably be pretty easy. But there's a database to deal with here.
and, as Ben mentioned, if you're using pagination things look like they get even more complicated.

But I'm certainly not the expert, I'm still learning all this stuff. So take that for what it's worth! smile

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-05-14 13:06:30

Matthew
Administrator
Website

jQuery definitely wouldn't be the answer. Javascript is best used to manipulate a small number of items on a page for any given task; having it do too much can crash a browser. This might be something best handled via Publisher, but I'm not entirely certain. I know that it seems a simply request, but it's actually far more complicated than you would think.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#8 2015-05-14 18:43:09

jimvee

Fair comment. CRG is still really useful without but I'd consider this a beneficial refinement were it possible. Please add it to the wish-list for future development..

On reflection, I always edit through rejection, starting with all images included and then rejecting the weakest frames to cut down to my final selection. If CRG could work in the same way I think it'd be even better than it is now.

Thanks for all the good work - CE4 is totally brilliant right now and your prompt replies here are much appreciated.

#9 2015-05-15 17:20:36

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Thanks, jimvee. We've made an internal note of the request. We'll see whether it's something we can do.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer