Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-02 04:09:51

hownice

Images jumping

I'm a long time user and was thrilled with the OLD Highslide Comparative gallery option.

In CE4, Highslide Comparative, the image closes and the next image jumps open in a different location when tabbing to the next?  This makes Selection of each Image really difficult; having to re-mouse to the selection Circle for every frame.  This is ultimately the most important part of a client gallery, being able to easily make selections.  Highslide Comparative from CE3 was great… one could open a thumb to the large view, place the mouse over the selection circle and then use the keyboard arrows to tab through frames, selecting as you go.  And also open a second image to compare! (And then be able to tab through either image window without them jumping)

Am I doing it wrong or missing something?  I'm hoping the old functionality can come back!! 

Chris

Last edited by hownice (2015-05-02 07:44:24)

#2 2015-05-02 08:39:05

rod barbee
Website

Re: Images jumping

Chances are this is native to the newer version of Highslide. But Matt will need to comment on that.

I'm guessing the Highslide folks were going after something that looks cool. And having the images pop up and expand from thumbnail point of origin is pretty cool looking.

besides, wouldn't the checkbox point jump around anyway based on whether or not the image is horizontal, vertical, square, pano, etc.

If you want the check box to be in the same place for every image, then use the Slideshow presentation rather than comparative. Comparative, allowing for two or more images on the screen for comparison, naturally means that the client will have to move the mouse anyway.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-05-02 09:09:16

hownice

Again, CE3 Highslide was really great.  I tend to shoot jobs in the same format, horizontal or vertical.  It's a powerful tool to be able to open two quick favorites and then alternate between the two tabbing forward or backward on each to compare and pick a final. 

The new version not only animates each open and closed but the screen jumps as the images jump and so there is scrolling and mousing between frames.  Really not ideal.   

CE3 was great. 

So maybe the question is, is it possible to replace the new Highslide with the old?

#4 2015-05-02 09:40:58

rod barbee
Website

So maybe the question is, is it possible to replace the new Highslide with the old?

If you're good with hacking Lightroom web engines....

I really, really doubt that Matt will take a step backwards, especially for a one-off request.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-05-02 11:55:23

Matthew
Administrator
Website

If you don't like the way the page moves, you can disable the Slideshow Tracking feature in the Appearance control pane. The page will then only move when the user manually scrolls it. It's an excellent feature for every other presentation mode, but can play a little weird with comparative.

If you want the checkbox to always be in the same place, then use the Slideshow presentation rather than Comparative, as Rod suggests.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#6 2015-05-05 06:31:34

hownice

Thanks Matthew and Rod. 

Deselecting the Slideshow Tracking feature does prevent the page from moving, but the image still animates closed and open to a different location.  P.S. Slideshow Tracking feature is brilliant so I'd prefer not to lose it.

Below is a link to the CE3 gallery that inspired the upgrade.  And the CE4 version of the same gallery.  We photographed 6 models extensively to cover the clients needs.  In the first gallery (CE3, older Highslide Comparative) you can open a frame and then tab back and forth in that frame to easily compare one frame to the next, open a second frame, do the same process of selection to find two images that work well together/ make final picks, etc.  Really great.  (P.S. Mathew I know you designed these galleries so I'm not purporting to explain their functionality to you!!  I'm simply showing my Use Case.   I suspect HOW I'm using the gallery is not uncommon.)  In this case I'm delivering 800+ images, and the client does not have the fastest internet; they were getting bogged down and loosing their selections in CE3, which is why I chose to upgrade to CE4 with Pagination (awesome!).  But the Highslide functionality is different. 

If you have 2 secs to look you'll see that the difference in the client experience/process for comparing and selecting is very different.  In the CE4 version if you pick an image on the right edge of the grid and arrow key to the next image.  Both the page and the images jump locations.  It's challenging on the eyes to compare and the entire image is often not visible without scrolling.

CE3 version:  http://www.chrisconroyphotography.com/ci/whm-vmware4-15
CE4 version:  http://www.chrisconroyphotography.com/ci/test-crg3

Every job that I deliver in Gallery form, whether it's product shots, architectural images, portraits, etc. is in gallery form because I'm delivering a range of images for my clients to choose from, making the side by side selection option a super important and valuable tool...  and I deliver every job with my TTG Client Response Gallery because it's the best I've found.  But I find the new animation between frames and the jumping of locations distracting and hard to use.  So, while I'm not a hacker I would be curious, Matthew, if you have any suggestions for retrofitting the CE3 Highslide Comparative, or if you can suggest someone who would be adept at doing that, I'd gladly pay for his/her time.  It's important to me because this is how I deliver my product to my clients.  Thanks so much for being so engaged and accessible.

Last edited by hownice (2015-05-06 01:57:11)

#7 2015-05-06 18:47:59

Matthew
Administrator
Website

I think this can be improved by adding a transition to the open image expander. Try the the following.

In the CE4-CRG.lrwebengine package, open the file /lib/html/the-grid-ce4standard.html.

Find:

<% elseif M.grid.presentation.desktop == "hs_compare" then %>
    href="<%= theRoot %>/photos/<%= image.exportFilename %>.jpg" onclick="return hs.expand(this,{ slideshowGroup: 'images', maxWidth: <%= image.renditions.photos.width %>, captionId: 'caption_<%= image.exportFilename %>', headingId: 'heading_<%= image.exportFilename %>', autoplay: <%= M.highslide.autoplay %> })"<% if M.colorLabels.display and image.colorLabelNumber ~= 'nil' then %> data-colorLabelNumber="color<%= image.colorLabelNumber %>" data-colorLabel="<%= image.colorLabel %>"<% end %><% if M.googleMaps.enable and image.metadata.gpsLocation ~= "" then %> data-gps="<% if mode =='publish' then %><%= googleMapsURL %><% else %>#<% end %>"<% end %>

Replace with:

<% elseif M.grid.presentation.desktop == "hs_compare" then %>
    href="<%= theRoot %>/photos/<%= image.exportFilename %>.jpg" onclick="return hs.expand(this,{ slideshowGroup: 'images', transitions: ['expand', 'crossfade'], maxWidth: <%= image.renditions.photos.width %>, captionId: 'caption_<%= image.exportFilename %>', headingId: 'heading_<%= image.exportFilename %>', autoplay: <%= M.highslide.autoplay %> })"<% if M.colorLabels.display and image.colorLabelNumber ~= 'nil' then %> data-colorLabelNumber="color<%= image.colorLabelNumber %>" data-colorLabel="<%= image.colorLabel %>"<% end %><% if M.googleMaps.enable and image.metadata.gpsLocation ~= "" then %> data-gps="<% if mode =='publish' then %><%= googleMapsURL %><% else %>#<% end %>"<% end %>

Reload your gallery in Lightroom and see whether this change is the sort of improvement you're looking for. I think you should find that the gallery is less "jumpy" when navigating through large images. If this works for you, I'll roll the change into the next update.

This hopefully will not cause any negative side-effects ...

Matt

#8 2015-05-07 04:50:21

hownice

Really impressed.  Thank you so much.  I'll try this tonight, if not too wiped out, or tomorrow and I'll send you the results.  Thanks again.

#9 2015-05-07 15:12:13

hownice

Hey Matthew,  Here's the code in place and the resulting error message after reloading. 

http://www.chrisconroyphotography.com/c … 5.06PM.png
http://www.chrisconroyphotography.com/c … 7.44PM.png

Looking at the code that you sent (and I wish I understood it better) is it possible to get rid of this: 

onclick="return hs.expand   

It's the fact that when clicked the large image closes and then re-opens that seems to be the cause of the "jump". 

Thank you again.

Last edited by hownice (2015-05-07 15:19:50)

#10 2015-05-07 15:43:26

Matthew
Administrator
Website

No, the gallery needs that.

With the change, the gallery should only scroll when an expander is closed. The active image is still going to move around as you navigate to the next/previous image.

And effecting that one change should not cause that error. Did you do something else?

Matt

#11 2015-05-08 02:16:01

hownice

Okay, started fresh and here is the result. http://chrisconroyphotography.com/ci/test-crg5/  It's much better in that the large images stay in the viewable area of the screen and the transition is much less distracting.  The movement (jump) of the Large Image is predictable which also makes it easier to follow.  I would still prefer to have the location of the frame remain stationary on next/previous, but this is an improvement.  Thank you!

#12 2015-05-08 09:07:52

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The next version will include an option to align opened images to screen center.

Matt

#13 2015-05-09 01:38:05

hownice

Again, I really appreciate your attention to this.  I use your products because they are most in tune with logical work flow. This gallery is how I deliver EVERY job.  And the Client Response is how I recieve Selects for high res delivery.

'Align to center' sounds perfect. With the ability to manually drag elsewhere and stay, for comparison. I'm going to try to find an html guy to help me hack that result.  If I get it I'll send it to you.
All the best,
Chris

P.S.  Two additional things to consider for the next version:  Font/size control for the Status Bar (purely aesthetic), and more important; the ability to tab through selects ONLY once the HIDE UNSELECTED has been applied.   
You responded saying that Publisher allows this, but I don't think Publisher fits my delivery model as I'm not uploading to a page of galleries, I'm just delivering one at a time to a client who doesn't need to see my other galleries.  Thanks again.

#14 2015-05-09 03:26:23

rod barbee
Website

Using Publisher and CRG allows you to set up client management. you give the a url like yoursite.com/ttg-be/crg and they are presented with a login screen. Once logged in all they see are links to their galleries (unless they simply navigate to your main site)
The only way to tab through selects after dimming those not selected is via Publisher management.

There are other advantages to using Publisher and CRG client management. the big one is that your clients don't have to make all their selections in one session. They can close the browser and log back in at a later time and all their selections and feedback will still be there.

see this for more: http://theturninggate.net/2015/02/clari … e-gallery/

Font size control  for the status bar can be achieved with custom css

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2015-05-09 05:52:20

hownice

Thanks Rod.  The link helps.

#16 2015-05-09 15:24:26

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The status bar sized according to recommended UI guidelines for mobile users, which is why I have not provided customization options in the plugin.

Matt

Board footer