Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-06 07:14:49

rod barbee
Website

Chrome not displaying some fonts correctly

I just noticed that the fonts in a couple of my sites (including my ttg-tips site) just went all wonky. I use 'Gill Sans' a lot and it was looking more like Impact. Yikes.
The funny thing is that this only happens on my desktop running Windows 7 Pro and not my laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. Go figure

A search turned out that the latest version of Chrome isn't displaying 'Gill Sans' correctly. And maybe some others.
Fortunately, someone on the Chromium site posted a fix: change 'Gill Sans' to 'Gill Sans std'.
And it works.

So if you're using 'Gill Sans' in any of your sites, take a look at them in Chrome to see if there are any surprises waiting.

EDIT: Turns out that I don't even have 'Gill Sans' on my laptop, so it was using Calibri. They're very similar

EDIT, EDIT: 'Gil Sans MT' works for me too. Since I've also got that one on my pc

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#2 2014-09-06 15:30:58

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Chrome not displaying some fonts correctly

I'll update the Gill Sans font-family in the next round.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2014-09-07 05:45:59

Jiheffe
Website

I had the same issue... All of a sudden, fonts were completely scrambled... Not only Gill Sans, BTW, also Helvetica Neue...
Did some research on The web, seems like font corruptions are common in Chrome...
BUT, then I started to see the same corruptions in Firefox... I don't have time to investigate this in detail, so I just used another font stack.

Last edited by Jiheffe (2014-09-07 05:46:30)

#4 2014-09-07 12:48:30

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Strange. I've never experienced or heard of font corruption.

Matt

#5 2014-09-11 10:24:31

DavidOllila
Website

I have and am still having problems with the fonts on Chrome. Works fine in IE but is relegated to some "wide aspect" font in Chrome nd maybe others. OS is windows 8.1. Is no one else having the same problem. Is this a Chrome issue or do I need to wait for an update from TTG. I'm using all CE4 Pages, Stage, Auto Index and Publisher and have tried to upload to correct. No success. Do I need to install a new font to TTG. If so How? See my site at:

www.davidollilaphoto.com

Thanks

#6 2014-09-11 12:47:22

rod barbee
Website

it's Chrome.

TTG employs font stacks precisely because not all systems will have the first font in the stack. TTG does not have the fonts themselves.

If the fonts you're using aren't showing correctly, somebody may have already had the problem and posted a solution. So try searching the web with a term like "your font name" Chrome errors or some such.

Another option is to use Google fonts
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … ogle_fonts

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2014-09-11 13:30:44

DavidOllila
Website

Rod, Thanks for the input. But I have not changed any of the fonts since the my early days with CE2. Has worked well through CE3 and even till CE4 which I published to my site on or about 8/9/14. I made no changes other than uploading new galleries through CE4 Publisher. Your listed option to use Google fonts lists numerous (hundreds?) of downloadable fonts but what and how are they loaded into Lightroom or Google Chrome is a mystery to me. What do I need to for my TTG templates to access them. Am I missing something or is this a total Google Chrome issue that I just have to live with?

Thanks for your help

David

#8 2014-09-11 14:09:28

Matthew
Administrator
Website

You site looks fine to me in Chrome. And I'm still not sure what you're talking about; perhaps if you could post a screen capture so that I can see what you're seeing, then I could offer some better advice.

Matt

#9 2014-09-11 20:50:19

rod barbee
Website

David,
The tutorial I linked above shows exactly how to use Google Fonts. If you've never installed fonts on your system before there are plenty of resources on the web to show you how (typically you can just download and double click on them and they install automatically)

And this isn't a TTG problem, it's a Chrome issue. The font I was using looked fine in Chrome until recently. I was using 'Gill Sans'  and just had to change it to 'Gill Sans MT' for Chrome to correctly interpret it.
You can also try using a font that comes close to the one you really want.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2014-09-12 01:31:21

DavidOllila
Website

Thanks Rod. I'll give it a try.

David

#11 2014-09-12 11:05:48

DavidOllila
Website

Rod,

I was able to clear up my problems with Google Chrome by just adding the  "MT" after the Gill Sans in the font family in the LR web module and in a few other places. Back to normal looking font in all browsers. Thank you very much for your help and suggestions.

Matt,

Thanks for the great job on TTG CE4. What a great product you (and Ben?) have provided that is continuing to improve in every edition/upgrade. I am truly thankful for what you guys have done.

Now back to putting my website back in order.

Thanks again,

David

Board footer