Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-03 23:44:59

andacar
Website

Newcomer TTG BE Questions

Hi folks. I've just started with TTG and I'm a bit lost. First, it was hard to find the documentation for TTG BE. When I did it said to simply put the entire directory to be along all the other files in my setup, which I did. It then said to log in. In my case the path would be http://mywebsite.com/D_Portfolio/ttg-be/admin/, where everything else is, correct? When I do that, I get this:

session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/home/users/web/b2683/moo.gothic1/cgi-bin/tmp/sess_2e600aed664b5bc80177ddf13dbbfdc7, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2)|#0 [internal function]: ErrorHandler::handleError() #1 /hermes/waloraweb024/b2683/moo.gothic1/D_Portfolio/ttg-be/framework/init.php(94): session_start() #2 /hermes/waloraweb024/b2683/moo.gothic1/D_Portfolio/ttg-be/admin/index.php(17): require_once('/hermes/waloraw...') #3 {main}|URL: /D_Portfolio/ttg-be/admin/index.phpUnknown: open(/home/users/web/b2683/moo.gothic1/cgi-bin/tmp/sess_2e600aed664b5bc80177ddf13dbbfdc7, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2)|Unknown|0

I'm baffled at this point. What's going on? The documentation offers no clue.

Thanks in advance.

Andacar

Last edited by andacar (2014-09-03 23:45:18)

Darrell Leland

"Never go creeping around old castles at night; you may find what you're looking for."
- Grimsley

#2 2014-09-03 23:55:22

rod barbee
Website

Re: Newcomer TTG BE Questions

can you provide the actual url to your site?

Do you know if your host conforms to the TTG requirments (Linux OS, Apache Server, PHP 5.2.6 or greater)?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-09-04 00:38:33

andacar
Website

http://gothicmuse.com

And I have no idea. How would I find out?

Darrell Leland

"Never go creeping around old castles at night; you may find what you're looking for."
- Grimsley

#4 2014-09-04 01:12:59

andacar
Website

I just called my host. The answer is yes they use all of that, with PHP 5.3.

Darrell Leland

- Grimsley

#5 2014-09-04 01:43:45

rod barbee
Website

when you uploaded the TTG-BE folder, did you first unzip the download?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2014-09-04 02:28:51

andacar
Website

hah! Good question! I almost didn't. But no, it's unzipped.

Darrell Leland

- Grimsley

#7 2014-09-04 02:38:15

rod barbee
Website

there have been a few instances of server incompatibility. Usually it just takes a phone call to them to have them turn something on. But Ben will have to take a look and let you know if/what to tell them

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2014-09-04 04:17:00

andacar
Website

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I don't need to have publisher working right this instant, I'm still putting the basic site together.

FYI: the documentation for this package assumes a lot of knowledge of server systems, but the ads make it all sound very easy for the average guy. In future releases the programmers might want to think seriously about some installers to make setup easier. You shouldn't need a system administrator to set something like this up.

Last edited by andacar (2014-09-04 04:17:46)

Darrell Leland

- Grimsley

#9 2014-09-04 04:34:35

rod barbee
Website

for most standard hosting setups, there is no problem in setting this up. The majority of users just follow the setup instructions and it works just fine. The problem is that there are a lot of hosting providers and not all of them are following the same standards.
Every once in awhile someone us using hosting that isn't providing standardized services and Ben usually figures that out pretty quickly. He's in Australia and probably sleeping at the moment, so give him some time. I'm sure he'll be around.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2014-09-04 05:06:45

andacar
Website

I very much appreciate it! My host is Fatcow.com.

Darrell Leland

Last edited by andacar (2014-09-04 05:07:32)

Darrell Leland

- Grimsley

#11 2014-09-04 07:18:48

Ben

You shouldn't need a systems administrator to have basic PHP functionality, but as we often find, that is often too much to ask of some hosts.

The error is caused by a misconfiguration of the session path for your setup.  Specifically, the directory /home/users/web/b2683/moo.gothic1/cgi-bin/tmp/ either does not exist or is not writable.  You may be able to fix this yourself, by checking that the directory cgi-bin/tmp exists for your account (that's assuming that when you login via FTP that you're really in the
/home/users/web/b2683/moo.gothic1 folder.)  See if you can find that directory.  If not, try creating it.  If it is already there, then try setting permissions to either 755 or 777.

If none of that works, then you'll need to contact your host's technical support.  I would tell them that PHP sessions are not working, and that it appears that /home/users/web/b2683/moo.gothic1/cgi-bin/tmp/ either does not exist or is not writable.

Last edited by Ben (2014-09-04 07:19:32)

#12 2014-09-04 08:02:20

andacar
Website

Thanks very much Ben. I'll give this a try.

Darrell Leland

- Grimsley

#13 2014-09-04 08:15:51

andacar
Website

OK. I added the directory you mentioned and it's working! Thanks very much. I'd like to suggest that this kind of thing be included in the TTG BE setup guide.

Thanks again!
Darrell Leland

Darrell Leland

- Grimsley

#14 2014-09-04 08:40:49

andacar
Website

Sorry to keep bothering you...

The PHP session loads, but when I try to get to PHPLiteAdmin I am told:

"It appears that the PHP directive, 'register_globals' is enabled. This is bad. You need to disable it before continuing."

How do I do that?

Last edited by andacar (2014-09-04 08:41:09)

Darrell Leland

- Grimsley

#15 2014-09-04 08:48:57

rod barbee
Website

until Ben can answer, unless you know what you're doing with sql databases, once you get in there, don't make any changes. It could cause problems with your site. Or open a wormhole...

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#16 2014-09-04 09:38:17

Ben

Those steps are specific to your exact setup. We've never had to provide that advice before, and I doubt it will be useful in the setup instructions.
You'll need to ask your host about disabling register_globals. Again, this is not a setting we have had to advise anybody else about. In any case, phpLiteAdmin isn't a function you're likely to need. It provides direct access to the database which we sometimes use for support.

#17 2014-09-04 10:54:04

andacar
Website

OK, that's great. Perhaps I should tell you that I'm coming to this from a designer/graphics person's point of view. I read the description of this software and it sounded like a great way to set up my galleries. There's nothing in the descriptions that would suggest you needed to have this kind of background to implement it. I'm not complaining, but this has all taken me by surprise. I won't mess with it without a reason. In that case, where do I set the login username and password? I see the settings for email, and I think I have that right.

Do you think I should just not use this software at all and use the basic design program instead?

Darrell Leland

- Grimsley

#18 2014-09-04 23:03:15

rod barbee
Website

There's nothing in the descriptions that would suggest you needed to have this kind of background to implement it

You don't. You're situation is the exception rather than the rule. Unfortunately.
But once you get past all this and your host has things configured as they should be, I think you'll really enjoy using the TTG tools.

where do I set the login username and password?

After logging in to ttg-be click on Manage Users to change the default ttg password
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … tion_setup

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer