Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-29 03:53:59

ray

CE2 to CE4

I have been pretty inactive as far as developing my website which will be obvious as I'm still using CE2.  Very impressed with CE2 once I got my head around the design and installation process being a newbie to web development 

I am aware that I have to purchase CE4 from scratch again but can I develop the new CE4 designed website without removing the existing one?  Would I simply develop the new website in the right hand pane and then replace the new sections (pages, galleries etc) within Cyberduck?

Would I need to replace or retain the existing web engine packages once I have downloaded CE4?  Hope these questions make sense.

#2 2014-08-29 04:36:33

rod barbee
Website

Re: CE2 to CE4

Would I need to replace or retain the existing web engine packages once I have downloaded CE4?

Either. Neither. They're not dependent on each other so you can keep them installed or remove them.

Would I simply develop the new website in the right hand pane and then replace the new sections

Since there are some new folder structures (resources/ being replaced by lib/ for example) it would probably be best to delete and replace. This way you wouldn't have any "leftovers".
You could keep your galleries/ folder intact and the Galleries page will still "see" the CE2 galleries. But you'd eventually want to delete those in favor of the new CE4 design.

One idea is to develop your new site in a sub-domain. Then, when it's all working as expected, delete all the files from the old site and copy the folders/files from the sub-domain into the root of the site. The only gotcha with this approach is if you're using phplugins. You'd have to change the server path for each page/template outside of Pages to match up with the new root-based location of the phplugins/ folder.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-08-29 04:51:59

ray

Would I purchase a sub-domain through my current server Bluehost and would this be akin to creating a second website under a different name and then transferring to the current website location once complete (after deleting the older folders).

I'm not so sure what PHPlugins are but I'm sure if i can digest this page I will figure things out - http://ce3wiki.theturninggate.net/doku. … _phplugins

I'm a healthcare worker - this is like pulling teeth...eeek yikes

#4 2014-08-29 05:19:28

rod barbee
Website

if you're not currently using phplugins, then don't worry about them for now.

You don't have to purchase anything for a sub-domain. Just create one. Go you your Bluehost C-Panel and scroll down to Domain Management : Sub Domains.
Working is a sub-domain is just like working in the root. what this means for you when setting up a new CE4 site is that you can just use "/" in the Site Root field of the Site Info control pane in Lightroom, which is what you would need to do when working in the root of the site. This effects navigation and things like Shared Resources. 

You would be creating your site in the sub-domain. Once you're satisfied you can either delete you TTG folders and files in the root and just copy them over from the sub-domain folder or you can simply upload them all to the root.

there's one other gotcha, and that's if you're using Publisher. If you plan on using Publisher I would just test it in the sub-domain so that you're comfortable using it. Then once you've moved everything over to the root, set up Publisher to work with that location and start publishing albums.

But if you're not comfortable with the sub-domain route, you can simply just delete and replace. I guess it depends on how extensive your current site is as to what might be easiest.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2014-08-29 05:59:09

ray

Thank you Rod.  Much appreciated.

#6 2014-08-30 20:51:54

ray

I think for me the best option might be to delete so that it might be less confusing and no danger of mixing up files folders.  Plus, Publisher looks very useful to simplify things for me so again, less confusing than moving from a sub-domain.  Just follow the installation documents for support.  I got there eventually last time!

Here poses a question....

I would like a total re-vamp - a new look but I still like the simplicity in a photography website.  The images do the talking.
What would I require from CE4 to be able to set up the following (if possible).  I have also included an example;

1. Galleries that just have a filmstrip with a large image for the viewer.  Not a page of thumbnails when opening the gallery
2. Can a filmstrip be turned off?
3. A large slideshow of images in the home page (I have this already but cannot remember which CE package).  Also like Matthews 'Campagna Pictures' website cover too - full screen shot!

Example - http://www.jasonbellphoto.com/#/photogr … andscapes/

#7 2014-08-30 21:39:55

rod barbee
Website

1) Use Stage with its Galleria slide show presentation.
2) you can opt to have a filmstrip on or off, though the visitor will have no control over this
3) I believe Matt is using the full screen flip gallery. That's an option with Pages for the Home page. Stage can also do this.
Another option is the Galleria slide show on the Home page

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer