Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-13 22:41:53

Dave C

Templates and Albums

I changed the template assigned to an album from allowing downloads to not allowing them. Iset the album to be re-published, which I have done. However, the site still allows photos to be downloaded.

Any suggestions, please?

With another album, I deleted and added some photos. When I published and re-published, the deleted photos were still on the site [yes, I did refresh the page even though the new photos were showing]. I deleted the album from the server and published it from scratch. What should I have done, please?

The end product is superb. Getting there is somewhat of a time-consuming pain!

[By the way - and excuse my ignorance - but what are 'breadcrumbs', please?]

#2 2014-08-13 23:30:02

rod barbee
Website

Re: Templates and Albums

breadcrumbs are those little navigation aids usually near the top of a page that allows you to navigate through the levels of your gallery structure.
If you check the Preview Breadcrumbs box in the Publisher Setup section of CE4 Gallery or CE4 Autoindex Output Settings you'll see them appear at the top of the block.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-08-13 23:33:13

rod barbee
Website

Oh, and if you can post a link to an album that's not working as expected, you'll save some time in getting an answer as Ben won't have to ask for it.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#4 2014-08-14 04:37:54

Dave C

Thanks Rod.

I republished [using Publisher] an album of 77 photos at 70 jpg quality, 1024/194, sharpen standard and it took 31 minutes [mostly Canon 5D CR2 photos]. It took 3 hours to publish 100 the other day, though I now suspect that the quality was 85.

I'm dreading publishing a gallery of 330, but here is the progression:

So far, 144 uploaded in 3 hours 30 mins!

[Can't remember my supposed upload speed, but Virgin say my download speed should be 50 MB.]

2 hours later and up to 248.

275 uploaded and the process stalled . After how much time I do not know as I went out leaving it to proceed alone!

I tried 'Exporting' a 77 photo album. This took 30 minutes to prepare then seconds to upload via ftp.

Uploading via CE3 was fine.

This is the link to one of the albums:
http://galleries.photolens.co.uk/Photo_ … /index.php

#5 2014-08-14 05:44:53

rod barbee
Website

is that link related to the original post in this thread? Is that album one that should have had the download link removed?

Last edited by rod barbee (2014-08-14 05:46:27)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2014-08-14 10:00:54

Ben

Hi Dave, which version of Publisher are you using?  The linked gallery doesn't look like it's been published with CE4.
In particular, this link doesn't show me the album setup as it should: http://galleries.photolens.co.uk/Photo_ … ndon/?data

What slows Publisher down is the time to create renditions.  Unlike the web module, which seems to generate multiple renditions from the master file in the one cycle, the Publisher has to create each rendition separately. 

Here are some ways to improve the performance:

1. Reduce the number of renditions.  If you don't need photos-for-download or photos-for-purchase then don't enable these in the template.  photos-for-purchase renditions aren't necessary any more with the CE4 cart, as you can now prepare and upload purchased files as-needed after the order has been placed.

2. Reduce the size of images.  In particular, the photos-for-download may be particularly large

3. Render your photos from JPEGs rather than RAW files.  This would require you to export as JPEGs, then re-import again, and use the JPEGs in your published collections.  This is not at all convenient, but worth considering if you have a very large number of photos to publish.

4. Export from smart previews.  If your master files are on an external drive and you use smart previews, then disconnecting the drive will force Lightroom to generate renditions from the smart previews.  This can significantly speed up publishing time.

Last edited by Ben (2014-08-14 10:01:54)

Board footer