Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-05 20:48:04

DennisKeyes

Theater Add-on setup problem

I purchased and installed the Theater add-on.  Following the documentation....

In Backlight's menu, go Designer ⇒ Templates.
Scroll down to the Album Templates list, and click “Create New Template”.
Name the template, and for Type choose “Pangolin Theater”; click “Add”.
I named the template: "Theater-1"

I created a new album in Lightroom Publisher.....  I named it "Test Theater-1"
For Template, select the new Theater template you created during the above steps.
Click the Features tab; because our template is still a work-in-progress, we're going to hide it from view. Enable the “Hide from Album Set” and “Hide from Search” checkboxes; click “Create”.  (I did not hide it as my site is not live yet so only I can see it anyway)
Add images to the new album and publish.
Right-click the album in Publish Services and select “Go to Published Album” to visit the album online.

Back to designer to design the album template....

I chose the new template, which I had named:  Theater-1
I went to Photo Presentation Type.  Only two choices appear:  Slide show or Single-image pages.  I want to use juxtapose but it is not available.  Nor are any of the other presentation types.

I tried clearing the template cache but it did not make any difference. 
What am I missing?

#2 2019-05-05 22:26:37

rod barbee
Website

Re: Theater Add-on setup problem

Try reinstalling Theater from your Backlight Modules page.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-05-06 00:29:26

DennisKeyes

Should I delete the existing Theater module first?  And, if so, how?
I did get the vegas slide show presentation to work on my home page.  I created an album template for it:  "Vegas-in-line".  But, no matter what settings I change, the image is too large.  How do I reduce the size?  Will It still be available if I reinstall the Theater module?

#4 2019-05-06 00:53:46

rod barbee
Website

Just click on the reinstall link
Your template settings are saved in the database

Hard to tell about your Vegas slideshow. What have you changed?
If image size, did you republish images afterward?
Have you tried clearing template cache after making changes? (That seems to be needed quite often with Vegas)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2019-05-06 03:00:30

DennisKeyes

I have cleared template cache several times.  I reinstalled Theater.  Prior to reinstall, I was not able to speed up the slide show.  That now seems to work now.  But, I still can't  resize the images.  Still too large and pixelated and don't fit the available space.  There is no place within LRPub to resize the images so the publish button is not active. 
I have resized several times within BL2 under, Design Album Template.  As I said above, the timing now works but not the sizing. 
http://denniskeyesphotography.com/backl … test/home/
BL2 login:
User: guest
Password:  guestpassword

#6 2019-05-06 03:27:06

rod barbee
Website

your "Vegas In-line" template is set to create images that are 500px x 500px. The images are already larger than this. (600 x 536px)
Your page template is set to two-columns, so the left portion of the page is actually a column with no content. This leaves less room for the slide show.

If you change the template to make the images larger, then in Lightroom, select the images in the album, right click, and choose Mark to Republish

Make sure that in the Lightroom Publisher settings that "Push metadata without updating existing photos" is not checked.

you might try a different aspect ratio in the template setting. right now it x=1 y=2, which will create a stage for the show that twice as tall as it is wide.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2019-05-06 03:57:43

DennisKeyes

your "Vegas In-line" template is set to create images that are 500px x 500px. The images are already larger than this. (600 x 536px). 
I tried multiple sizes from 250 to 1,000.  None made any difference.  Just happened to be 500 when you looked.

Your page template is set to two-columns, so the left portion of the page is actually a column with no content. This leaves less room for the slide show.
I thought that my vertical menu was occupying the left column.  It is set for the minimum width allowable.

If you change the template to make the images larger, then in Lightroom, select the images in the album, right click, and choose Mark to Republish.  I don't want the images larger.  I want them smaller to fit into the second column like the slide shows on all other pages.

Make sure that in the Lightroom Publisher settings that "Push metadata without updating existing photos" is not checked.  I will do this when I make my next attempt.

you might try a different aspect ratio in the template setting. right now it x=1 y=2, which will create a stage for the show that twice as tall as it is wide.  The default is 16/9, I think.  I tried many different combos including 1/1.  None of those changes made any difference. 

I have been trying to make changes on the album template.  Should I make changes on the Home "Page", or create a new page template just for the Home page?

#8 2019-05-06 04:02:18

rod barbee
Website

I thought that my vertical menu was occupying the left column.  It is set for the minimum width allowable.

oops, never mind. I'd been looking at the album itself

your page width is 1140px and the pallet width is 200px. That leaves about 900px to play with. If you need to present images sizes larger than that, you can try making the page width wider.

I have been trying to make changes on the album template.  Should I make changes on the Home "Page", or create a new page template just for the Home page?

make changes in the album template. The reason the slideshow is so far down the home page is that aspect ratio. The image is nearly square, try 1:1

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2019-05-06 12:42:27

DennisKeyes

I do NOT want to present  the images larger.  I want to present them SMALLER so they do not appear pixelated due to being too large, which they do now and since I first used Theater.  There is plenty of width available for them at the enlarged size, as you noted: "page width is 1140px and the pallet width is 200px. That leaves about 900px to play with." 
So there should be no problem with them fitting by making them smaller.  I had specified making them many different widths and have now landed on 500 pixels wide which is where you saw them, but no matter what size I specify, they always look the same - TOO LARGE. 
I have already tried changing the aspect ratio to 1/1.  I tried many different aspect ratios.  Nothing I have tried changes the size of the images at all. 
Reinstalling Theater did correct the timing.  I was able to make the slide duration faster, which is what I wanted.  But the size remains a problem.  If I give you admin login do you think you can solve this? 
user:  admin-ben
Password:  asdfg54321

#10 2019-05-06 14:22:50

rod barbee
Website

Then try setting the Gallery max-width to a more suitable number

You can also try different aspect ratios. 3:1 should make the image smaller.

Be sure to clear template cache if you don’t see any changes

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2019-05-06 23:09:13

DennisKeyes

I have already tried many different combinations of widths and ratios.  Nothing I have done makes any change in the appearance.

#12 2019-05-07 00:23:52

rod barbee
Website

I just changed the aspect ratio to 3:1 and then cleared template cache (not browser cache). Take a look. You can adjust the aspect ratio to your needs to get the size you need.

Since you're using the "Fit" Image Scaling setting, the whole image will appear in the center of the slide show area. The slide show area will take up the width defined in the template, the smallest being 920px. At a 3:1 ratio, this means the height is limited to around 300px.
With your 600 px images, this means it will be scaled down to fit and no pixelization.

You can clear template cache by going to the main Backlight Dashboard. Under Special Links you'll see Clear Template Cache

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2019-05-07 00:52:12

DennisKeyes

Ahhhhhh!  I had cleared the template cache many times.  I see that the problem was "Fit".  Thanks very much for your help!  I like it much better now.

#14 2019-05-07 00:56:17

rod barbee
Website

It was always set to fit. Using "Fit" is a way to control the size.
All I did was change the aspect ratio and cleared template cache.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer