Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-11 06:55:50

Aisling

Very slow upload - any help?

Hi Guys,

I am trying to upload images from my first event since last year and it is much much slower than before.  Last year I moved the LR catalog from a microSd card to an external SSD drive thinking this would help speed it up. I am working on a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 so space is an issue so I can't keep either the catalog or images on the computer.  I have moved the images I am trying to upload onto the same SSD drive but that made no difference (I thought the other drive may have been slowing it).  I have borrowed a router so the broadband upload speed is much faster than what I had last year but the images are taking ages.  The SSD drive connects with a USB-C port which my computer doesn't have so I have an adapter to USB-A - could this be what is slowing it down?  or have you any other ideas?  I have over 2000 images which I need to upload asap!

I recently updated to Backlight 2 so this is the first upload since - even setting up the gallery folders in advance took much longer than before.  I am publishing from LR and use Bluehost.

Kind regards,

Aisling.

P.S. I have since copied my catalog, LR, TTG plug in and images (the ones I'm trying to upload) to another computer and the upload is back to normal so I'm guessing its a problem with the cables/external drives.  I really need a mobile system so if anyone has any solution other than a new expensive laptop with 2TB storage that would be great!

Last edited by Aisling (2019-03-11 08:37:39)

#2 2019-03-11 21:02:29

mad
Website

Re: Very slow upload - any help?

Hi, How is the speed between your SSD device and your Surface Pro 4 (transfer files to your drive)?  If it is slow then check which type of USB-A you have i.e. Standard Type A USB 2.0 or Standard Type A USB 3.0; to tell the difference the Type A end for USB 3.0 will have the blue slide if 2.0 will be white/other color than blue.  Also, can your SSD do wireless if so than you should be able to connect it with the wireless (GB ethernet through your Surface Pro 4 bypassing the cables).  I have done this and it works fine if you consider that I live in a rural community where the upload speed is only 1mb and that I have a Toshiba laptop 7 year old gen 3 I7 processor. I also run LR, TTG and everything though my wireless GB ethernet without any issues.  So I would suspect that you may have configuration issues with your Surface Pro 4 or the cables themselves.  One more thing to check in your Surface Pro 4 configuration does your ethernet/wireless (wi-fi) connection have or is type 802.11n or is your connection type 802.11abg? abg is typically slower than type n. Hope this helps!!!!

Last edited by mad (2019-03-11 21:12:12)

#3 2019-03-12 08:03:26

Aisling

Re: Very slow upload - any help?

Thank you for your reply.  The USB port is supposed to be 3.0 although its not blue! I don't think the SSD external drive is wireless but I will certainly check and I will also investigate the abg / n connection as I've never heard of that before so will have to look into it.

Thanks again,

Aisling.

Board footer