Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-21 03:32:22

PaulQM

PHP and Future Support

Hi, came across a wee issue a few months back but only have now had time to ask.

My provider keeps their PHP servers up to date and an issue came to light that BL2 Cart only works on and up to version 7.1, after this it throws a cart not available error. As you will be aware PHP 7.1 support stops on December of this year which renders the Cart obsolete after this date. I have no doubt that you will fix this issue in the short term.

This has raised some concerns for me on the future use for me and others on the software that we have purchased?

I have raised unwelcome issues in the past and have no intention of upgrading this software beyond BL2, but I would like to know how long this software will be supported in regard to PHP or any other server issue that might arise in the future that will render this software unusable?

Thank in advance

PQM…

#2 2019-02-21 22:25:03

skipper

Re: PHP and Future Support

This would interest me too, since my provider informed me a couple of month ago, that support for legacy php 5.x versions would cost an extra 9,99 € each month starting in March 2019 (which I find a rip off).

This is what they wrote as far as php support:

PHP 5.6 up to Feb. 2019

PHP 7.0 up to Feb. 2019

PHP 7.1 up to Jan. 2020

PHP 7.2 current

Since my CE4 page will not work any more correctly by March, I dove into BL2 now and really like it so much better than doing everything out of Lightroom. I was also going to add the cart function later on, but if that would stop working by the end of this year, it wouldn't make much sense to go through the hassle of setting it all up.

Info on that would be great!

Thanx

#3 2019-02-22 03:13:34

Daniel Leu
Website

If Backlight 2 doesn't work with a current or future PHP version, it will be fixed. Earlier this year, Ben even did an update to CE4 to get it running with PHP 7!

My test site uses PHP 7.2 and I don't see any problems with the cart.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#4 2019-02-22 03:17:59

rod barbee
Website

Matt and Ben have a pretty good track record with keeping up with the technology. I'm not worrying about it.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2019-02-22 05:46:02

skipper

Sounds great! Thanxs for the feedback!

#6 2019-02-22 06:19:01

Ben

As above, however there are reasonable limits based on our pricing model.  I wouldn't expect to be updating Backlight 1/2 to PHP 7.8, 8.0, whatever it may be, based on one-time purchases made ten years prior. 

Many, or most hosts should allow you to specify a PHP version that your site uses.  As an example, PHP 5.6 has been out since 2014 and has only just become unsupported after the 40th iteration (version 5.6.40).  I would hope that many hosts will or do provide a similar option to fix your site to version 7.2 or similar, so that you don't need to worry about them upgrading the version and breaking compatibility with existing code.

Board footer