Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-12 10:22:30

johnblaustein
Website

BL2 upgrade from BL1 won't install, shows errors

Hi,

BL1 has been working perfectly for many months.

I purchased and tried to install BL2, but I've had no success.  I have read the Installation & Setup and Upgrading docs several times.  I watched Matt's very helpful YouTube video several times.

I unzipped the Backlight-2-Installer-100.zip file into a new folder.  The folder contains: backlight(folder), .htaccess, index.php.  (There is no Galleries folder per the video, but I didn't want a new one anyway since I already have the existing one.)

Per the instructions, I deleted everything from my current BL installation except for the Custom and Data folders, and the Galleries folder.  My root directory is public_html.

I copied backlight(folder), .htaccess, index.php to the root folder, overwriting what was there.

I go to johnblaustein.com/backlight/installer.  I get a message about permissions and read the doc about that.  Using FileZilla, I set permissions and check all the boxes for the backlight and galleries folders.  FileZilla says 777.

Now, when I try to access johnblaustein.com/backlight/installer, Chrome says page isn't working.  I tried deleting my history and cookies.  No luck.  The Chrome address bar shows this:

johnblaustein.com/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/backlight/installer/

My cPanel shows that my server is using PHP 7.2 (ea-php72).  My web host is www.westhost.com and I have shared hosting.

I'm stuck!  Not only am I unable to install BL2, but my site is no longer accessible.

Please help.

Thank you.

John

Last edited by johnblaustein (2018-09-12 10:26:32)

#2 2018-09-12 10:26:49

Ben

Re: BL2 upgrade from BL1 won't install, shows errors

Hi John, it looks like one or more files may have been copied into the wrong directory.  Make sure that the correct version of index.php and .htaccess are copied into each respective folder.  For example, if your site resides under the public_html folder, you'd copy the following (where the first item is the location in the unzipped Installer file):

.htaccess           => public_html/.htaccess
index.php           => public_html/index.php
backlight/.htaccess => public_html/backlight/.htaccess
backlight/index.php => public_html/backlight/index.php

#3 2018-09-12 10:35:17

johnblaustein
Website

Ben,

Thank you for the instant reply.

No luck.  The .htaccess and index.php files were already in the correct locations, but I transferred them again.  FileZilla shows the date and file size at matching--your unzipped folder and on the server.  It's still not working.

Any other suggestions?

Note:  I have saved copies of my Custom, Data and Galleries folders on my hard drive.  Is there a way I can "start over?"

John

Last edited by johnblaustein (2018-09-12 10:38:04)

#4 2018-09-12 10:40:29

Ben

Hi John, that's strange.  Can you provide me with FTP access via email so that I can look into this?

#5 2018-09-12 10:49:10

johnblaustein
Website

Ben,

Email just sent.

John

#6 2018-09-12 11:15:05

Ben

Hi John,  I've had a go at fixing this, and now the Installer page is loading correctly.  The issue looked to be setting permissions of 777 to everything. 
That is a very broad set of permissions that most websites do not allow.  I've changed some of the directories to use 755 permissions and it now appears to be loading.  For your server it looks like these permissions work: 644 (or 755) for directories that don't need to be writeable and 755 for those that do.
The only directories that need to be writable are backlight/data, backlight/modules and any 'galleries' directories you have.

#7 2018-09-12 11:22:44

johnblaustein
Website

Ben,

Still problems....

I was able to log into the installer and BL installed successfully.  When I clicked Continue to BL, I get this error:

Something went wrong
Unexpected error: Undefined index: language_code in 95-include-2.0.0-1-203-menu_63.view.template on line 14

If I go to johnblaustein.com, I get this error (which you'll see if you try it):

Something went wrong
Unable to find index page.

Now what?

John

Last edited by johnblaustein (2018-09-12 11:40:21)

#8 2018-09-12 11:28:51

Ben

Click on Designer > Templates > Clear Template Cache to see if that helps with the first error.  For the second, I would have a look at the Designer > Pages you've set up and edit the one for your Index page to see if that fixes it.
If that doesn't help, I'm happy to take a look if you can provide me with a Backlight admin login via email.

#9 2018-09-12 11:42:18

johnblaustein
Website

I can't get into BL at all, so I can't click on anything.

I am sending you my admin login via email.

John

#10 2018-09-12 11:54:54

Ben

It should all be good now.  The login issue  was caused by further files still having permission of 777.  I've logged in and completed the upgrade process.  Your home page is now working.

#11 2018-09-12 12:38:19

johnblaustein
Website

Ben,

It's almost all good now.

My favicon seems to have disappeared.  I don't remember how to restore that, and what I found in the docs didn't help.  Please advise.

A few of my pages aren't loading--the pages without galleries:

http://www.johnblaustein.com/about-the-book/
http://www.johnblaustein.com/?page=buy-the-book (why the "?page=" in this URL?)

I visited each page in BL per the install docs, but still these issues.

John

#12 2018-09-12 12:50:16

Ben

Hi John, I've fixed the about-the-book link.  I had accidentally left public_html/.htaccess disabled while trying to work out the earlier problems.
The missing favicon file is caused by a bug in our code that I plan to fix in the next day or so.

#13 2018-09-12 12:50:17

johnblaustein
Website

Regarding favicon, I found this post:

Upload a favicon using the Uploader. In Backlight, hover over Designer > Templates. Click on Uploaded Images. Then click on Upload New Image

Back in your Page Template, go to Advanced Setup. At the bottom of the page you'll find controls for displaying Favicons as well as Apple Touch Icons.

It seems it is set up correctly, but not loading. ? ?  ?

John

#14 2018-09-12 13:41:38

johnblaustein
Website

Hi Ben,

OK on the favicon issue.  Thanks for explaining.

All the pages are loading properly now, thanks to your enabling public_html/.htaccess.  Is it likely this permission issue will come up again when you make updates available?  If this happens again, is level 755 likely to work for all BL folders and files?  (It looks like .htaccess is 644 and all folders are 755.  I didn't check files within the folders.)

One more issue.... three of my pages should be showing photo captions, but they aren't.  Do I need to republish from LR?  (I have not yet installed the new publisher to LR.)

Here are the pages that should show the option to turn on captions:
http://www.johnblaustein.com/galleries/ … nube-2017/
http://www.johnblaustein.com/galleries/ … pstamatic/

Thanks again!

John

Last edited by johnblaustein (2018-09-12 14:06:36)

#15 2018-09-12 17:37:53

rod barbee
Website

hi John,

this seems to be a Galleria bug. Matt's looking into it
http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=8930

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#16 2018-09-12 20:14:22

Ben

johnblaustein wrote:

Hi Ben,
Is it likely this permission issue will come up again when you make updates available?

Hi John, it's not likely to be an issue.  This was just a setup problem.  The one time I can think of that permissions may come into play is if you are creating more top-level galleries.  If you do, I recommend setting any new top-level gallery directories to 755 permissions.

#17 2018-09-13 06:21:14

johnblaustein
Website

Ben,

Favicon now working.  Thank you.

I've done a little work in LR and BL2, adding and changing a few images and rearranging a menu item.  It's all working perfectly.  The new/modified BL2 Dashboard interface is clear and super-easy to navigate.

As always, thanks to you and Matt for a great product.

John

#18 2018-09-13 07:31:48

Ben

I'm glad to hear it's all going well!

Board footer