Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-13 04:11:49

tomowensphoto
Website

GDPR

Calling all European users of Backlight.
Are any of you using GDPR compliant plugins and if so what ones?
Like many people I have pushed this to one side but it looks like developers all over the globe are preparing for the switch over. It looks like my old notice won't fit the bill and with 20,000,000 Euros or 4% of turnover as potential fines I expect little people will be picked off as easy targets.

Regards,
TomO
Just a simple photographer
Live site at http://tomowens.openpoint.co.uk/

#2 2018-04-13 06:25:16

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: GDPR

The other day I read an article where they talked about attorneys already preparing lawsuits so they can be filed on May 25th.....

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#3 2018-04-13 07:24:51

Ben

I haven't read a lot about this.  From my understanding this will affect businesses in terms of business processes and site functionality.

Business processes:

* the ability to detect data breaches and inform customers within 72 hours of a data breach occurring.  This looks to be a matter of hosting sites on a platform that supports detection of data breaches and notification to the site owner, to then notify affected customers.
* appointment of data officer - not necessary for small-scale data collection or the type of data collected by photography businesses

Site functionality:

* a clear notice of data usage, not buried in terms & conditions.  Opt-in checkboxes that are not pre-checked to record customer's acceptance of the data usage. 
* the ability to permanently delete customer data upon request, both from the main database and any backups

Are there any other relevant items that I've missed?

#4 2018-04-13 14:30:15

tomowensphoto
Website

I was reading up last night Ben until my eyes could not take it any more. One thing that was consistent was as you state in the site functionality section.

The need for explicit statements about why the data is being collected that have check boxes on contact forms that cannot be pre-checked in any state. Actioning the check box has to a clear action by the user, regardless of whether they have actually read the conditions. The language has to be unambiguous - obviously that is down to the site owner

There also needs to be an ability for a visitor to demand to be forgotten.

So that suggests contact forms could do with the option of adding conditions to approve capturing the contact details for email contact and also to opt out aka demand to be forgotten  with  check boxes associated with gathering data and requests to destroy data.

That begs the question as to whether contact data is written to database tables and if it is then ticking a check box should run a script to purge the record. That suggests that there would be some form of ID associated with the 'ticker' so this bit is a tad deeper than I imagined or have I got that wrong?

Last edited by tomowensphoto (2018-04-13 15:42:14)

Regards,
TomO
Just a simple photographer
Live site at http://tomowens.openpoint.co.uk/

#5 2018-04-23 07:05:00

powerfulphotography
Website

So the question is, is Backlight working on a GDPR update to the relevant checkboxes and database tables for the upcoming privacy laws.

If at first, you don't succeed try, try then go to the forum.
https://powerfulphotography.co.uk/

#6 2018-04-23 07:22:40

Ben

TTG is not working on this for existing products.  I'm not yet sure the best way to handle this, considering these are changing business requirements for a product already functionally complete.  Our pricing model simply can't cover retrospective updates to products that were fit-for-purpose at the time of sale. Perhaps a software bounty might work.

Board footer