Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-16 09:31:51

riccardo

Social Media icons don't go away

I have emptied all settings for social media icons in the Page Template.  Nevertheless they still show up whenever I go to a slideshow page in the album.

I sense something is amiss here.  Any thoughts?

Second issue, which may be connected (?)  I can't seem to get the single-image presentation page to be recognized.  Clicking on the thumbnail goes to an error page.  Everytime.  In checking the web inspectorr the thumbnail points to -  mydomain.com/topgallery/album/filename-single.php - yet there is no such file in the album directory.  There is a single.php there, and the photos are in the "photos" folder, which makes me think it is the Backlight magic that brings those two together somehow.  But in my case it does not seem to work.  Just goes to a 404.

Any thoughts about how to fix that one?

#2 2018-01-16 09:34:19

rod barbee
Website

Re: Social Media icons don't go away

can you post a link to a page that's not behaving as you expect?

Which version of Backlight are you using? Your second problem sounds familiar but it was from quite a while ago....

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2018-01-16 09:52:27

riccardo

https://wheelerimaging.com/mcds8th2018/myers/

Album template is set to Single-Image-Presentation for the above.   The social media icon issue is only apparent when I change it back to Slideshow. So I guess one problem at a time.

Thanks, Rod..

#4 2018-01-16 09:54:37

riccardo

Using the latest Backlight update - 1.2.3 Rel 4

#5 2018-01-16 10:06:22

rod barbee
Website

I have emptied all settings for social media icons in the Page Template.  Nevertheless they still show up whenever I go to a slideshow page in the album.

I sense something is amiss here.  Any thoughts?

I believe you'll need to use custom css to hide these. Do you want to hide just the sharing icons or do you want to hide the button that reveals all those icons (download, map, permalink)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2018-01-16 10:24:05

riccardo

Thanks, Rod.  I saw this which tells me how to eliminate the social media icons through CSS -http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=7319

As for the other (map, permalink, etc)  - yes I may want to eliminate those as well.  Is there a CSS property for that?  Additionally can I just eliminate the whole share menu, which would take them all out at once?

Last edited by riccardo (2018-01-16 10:24:50)

#7 2018-01-16 10:39:41

rod barbee
Website

yes you  can eliminate the entire share button. Try this in your custom css file:

.fancybox-button--pallet {
display:none;
}

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2018-01-16 10:51:59

rod barbee
Website

For the life of me, I can't find anything using a forum search on your problem of the single image presentation resulting in an error.
Can you repost it under it's own topic so that it will get more attention.
I'm positive it's come up before and Ben will probably have the answer.

In the meantime, I'll try some other search terms and see if I can find it.

something to try: go to Backlight > Publisher. On the Publisher dashboard under Special Links, click Update Album Files.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2018-01-16 12:36:26

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Single-image pages utilize some .htaccess magic.

This:

mydomain.com/topgallery/album/imageName-single.php

Is equivalent to this:

mydomain.com/topgallery/album/single.php?id=imageName

So if the first gives you an error, and the second works, then you have a problem with your .htaccess file. Or might have failed to upload that file in the first place (in which case, enable viewing of invisible files in your FTP client to ensure you're copying it along with all else).

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#10 2018-01-17 03:37:22

riccardo

Rod -  I tried the update albums, and no change in the behavior there.  Since Matt answered here, I am continuing the thread for now, but let me know if you want me to reopen as another topic.

Matt -  I used the correct code you indicated in the web inspector (using Safari):

mydomain.com/topgallery/album/single.php?id=imageName

Result - the single image page links did work properly.  So this indicates an htaccess issue.  I think.  The htaccess files are loading.  There is one in the specific album directory as well as the topgallery directory.  They appear to be identical. I see you have a caveat about Fast CGI servers at the head of the htaccess file.  Could that be the issue?  However I am not getting the "No input file specified" message.  Just the 404.

I also use an htaccess file at the root. (my site is a hybrid of sorts - not using Pages).  But nothing in there to cause an issue as far as I know - just some redirect from another domain name to mydomain.com

#11 2018-01-17 07:44:20

rod barbee
Website

I was thinking of the FastCGI problem and that was what I was searching for. Is your server using FastCGI?
If so, I don't think it will hurt anything to change the .htaccess file as indicated.
You can change it in Backlight > Settings. Click on Advanced Settings then Edit Settings. Scroll down the page to Album .htaccess.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2018-01-17 08:08:28

riccardo

Not as far as I know.  Using Network Solutions. 

I changed the htaccess files anyway (to the recommendations for FastCGI server), just to see if any difference could be seen.  At first the page did come up correctly - the stand-alone page - one one of the thumbnails.  But then it 404'd.  Also the index page went to a 404 as well.  So changed them back to the default settings.  Index page comes back, but still 404s when trying to load the single-page-html. 

So no change.  Also tried to set the SQLite Journal and Synchronous to "DEFAULT" in both cases.  They were set to "PERSIST and "OFF".  But no change there.  So set them back to original values (Persist and Off).

Any other ideas?

#13 2018-01-17 08:16:35

rod barbee
Website

Did you also try updating the album files from the special link in the Publisher dashboard page?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2018-01-17 09:11:26

riccardo

Yes, tried that as well. Several times during the process.  But no change.

#15 2018-01-17 10:20:18

Matthew
Administrator
Website

We have a page of documentation relating to .htaccess. Please have a look, and let us know whether any of the information there addresses your problem.
http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … cess_files

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#16 2018-01-18 03:21:24

riccardo

Thanks, Matt.  Following intent of instructions in the last paragraph the doc you referenced I deleted, via FTP, the htaccess files in the albums in questions (and even those that were set to slideshow) and all of them seem to work correctly now.

So I will empty out the htaccess code in the advanced setting in Backlight admin (as the article outlines) and create new albums going forward with that change in place   All should work OK.  Will let you know if problems arise.

Board footer