Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-30 22:07:27

Samoreen
Website

Migrating to Pangolin templates

Hi,

I understand what Matthew said about this topic but as he obviously expected, this deserves some comments.

Many settings are shared between Pangolin templates and Okapi templates, right ? So, when creating new Pangolin templates, it would be a great time saver if shared settings could be automatically copied from an existing Okapi template to the new Pangolin template. It would be easy to do that manually if templates were defined in a text file but, unless I missed something, they are defined in the database and I don't know enough about its structure to spend time trying to do this manually.

For the designer of the database though, it should be rather easy to write a script allowing to create a new Pangolin template automatically including shared settings from an existing Okapi template. The script could be launched from the "Create Template" page : if the new template is based on a Pangolin type, the UI should display the list of existing Okapi template of the same category in a "Copy Settings From" drop down list. Shared settings would be copied from this existing template.

Then, we could focus only on the new features without having to rebuild everything from scratch.

Is this asking too much ?

Thanks.

Patrick

#2 2017-06-30 23:34:11

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Migrating to Pangolin templates

Samoreen wrote:

Is this asking too much ?

Yes, kind of. Some things appear the same in an effort to maintain some front end consistency for the user. In the back end, though, many of the options are doing vastly different things in pangolin than they were doing in okapi. In the majority of cases, it's really not a 1-to-1 comparison. The page framework is completely different; the slideshow are completely rebuilt and utilize wholly different scripts, etc.

I do understand your frustration, though. I would have liked to support direct upgrades were it possible, but that would have significantly held me back from being able to make many of the improvements I wanted to make. Pangolin is far closer to my original vision for Backlight's design modules than I was able to build for okapi, and I fully intend for the pangolin modules to be with us for a very long time. This type of migration is unlikely to happen again.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer